“Not impressed!”

Wingate by Wyndham Erie
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Reviewed May 20, 2011

I was not impressed with my recent stay at the Wingate and am not sure why it is rated number one on here... My complaints mostly have to do with the amenities and services that supposedly set this hotel apart and make it worth the price. The room itself was clean and offered a decent amount of space however I did not like the fact that my king-sized bed had midget-sized pillows. If you are looking for a good wireless connection then look elsewhere. The internet would randomly disconnect several times while on the web for no apparent reason (it actually disconnected while I was writing this review so I had to re-do it). This was extremely frustrating because I was trying to get work done for my business trip. The TV only had 27 channels and I had to get a new remote from the desk each night because it would magically stop working. The walls are paper thin so good luck trying to get a decent night’s sleep when the place is full, especially if you are like me and have a room full of cackling women next to you. Breakfast was mediocre at best and not worth the added amount to the nightly fee. So if you are looking for anything other than a clean room I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,568)

Reviewed May 6, 2011

The staff was all very helpful and professional. We thought the breakfast was very nice. The improvement I would recommend would be to add a second toaster. Their offering of waffles, assorted danish, coffee, juice, toast, eggs, and sausage was very tasty. The room was very clean, offered free internet, and had a microwave and mini-fridge. The beds were comfortable and the upscale furnishings were very nice. Although we didn't use it they do have a fitness center, business center, and indoor pool. I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank sjacqueline52
Reviewed May 1, 2011

We booked this hotel for 2 nights during our March break for a shopping trip. It was our first trip to Erie, so we booked based on TripAdvisor recommendation. Clean room, adequate breakfast, and close to the main shopping outlets of Erie. If you have children, this hotel is (almost) across the street from the Splash Lagoon indoor water park, which our young teens enjoyed. Only one small complaint, when we asked at the front desk about other area shopping centers and outlet malls, we were told that they didn't have the information. ?? Other than that, we were satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SadSadGolfer
Reviewed April 13, 2011

The staff at this hotel were great, they all talked to you and were very friendly, and they acknowledged you when you walked past the front desk, ready to answer questions if you had any.
The beds were very comfortable, good night sleep, and not noisy at all.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lisaupstateny
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Great hotel! I usually come to Erie about once a year for an annual shopping trip and have stayed at other hotel in the area but this is by far the best. When we arrived we decided to try to check in earlier and we had no problem. ( we checked in at 1:00 ) their check in is 3:00. The size of the room was great being with 3 other girls. The first night we wanted to go for a swim but the pool closed at 10:00pm but the staff was cleaning there and allowed us to use the whirlpool at 11:00pm. Great customer service! The bed were extremely comfy and the breakfast was pretty much the same as any other hotel in the area. The only thing that thet forgot was toilet paper on day 2, so we had to call down to reception and they promptly brought some up. overall a great place to stay! Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank BMWmama
Reviewed March 29, 2011

We had a wonderful weekend getaway with our stay at this hotel. The place was clean and comfortable and the service staff went out of their way to make the stay even pleasurable. They have a very pet friendly policy with ample space to walk your four legged family member. The fitness room and pool/hot tub areas were also very clean and inviting to use. The breakfast was satisfying due to the many choices available. The only problems were the space available to cover all the guests as they came for breakfast(luckily the nearby conference room was available for overflow) and the guests who came to the area from the pool would did not have the appropriate dresswear or footwear for the meal, I felt a little uncomfortable seeing guests walking around in wet suits and no shoes in a dining area. Despite these two concerns, I would not hesitate to use this hotel as my only choice for future trips to Erie, PA.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Steph372011
Reviewed March 27, 2011

My husband and I just stayed here for a night while in town to visit the Casino.
Hotel was VERY clean and room was great. Lots of towels and no skimping on the little things. My only complaint was the bed, it was so hard that my ribs were hurting. If we look to stay at one of these again I will have to ask first if they have options as far as the mattresses. We couldnt sleep from hurting so bad and when we would fall asleep it wasn't for long. About 6am I gave up and showered. It pains me to say because this was an otherwise great hotel with very nice desk staff.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple