“Not up to par”

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Erie
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Not up to par”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

I have stayed here before on business, but this time the experience was not up to par. I had trouble with the key after I returned from dinner. I had to go back down to the front desk time to get the keys remade. On the second time, someone from the desk came up with me and told me that I was removing them too quickly, so when I did it slowly, it still was not working well, so we decided it was the lock, which he admitted that someone had trouble about a week ago.
Once back in the room, I noticed a red stain on the sheets when I turned them down. Also, in the bathroom, the shower drain was pulled all the way out. In the morning when I showered, I had to turn the water off twice to avoid standing in drain water, which I find to be unsanitary in general. If it did not look like they already knew about the drain, I would not have been so disappointed, but obviously since it was up on the rim of the tub when I got there, they knew it was not draining well. Certainly, poor housekeeping and facilities response.
Also, the room was very hot inside (75 degrees, and it was 36 degrees outside) I had to turn on the air conditioning in the room in mid-November to get the room to a comfortable sleeping temperature. I don't think the air circulation was up to par.
Continental breakfast is nice, but for the price I paid, ($129), I expect a little better for the room and upkeep in general.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Phil E, Manager at SpringHill Suites Erie, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay here at the Springhill Suites Erie. We appreciate you being a repeat guest and are sorry your most recent stay was not satisfactory. We have met with our maintenance and housekeeping staff to address your concerns and have made the appropriate corrections. We hold ourselves to very high standards and appreciate being notified when we fall short. We thank you for your business and hope to see you again on your next trip to Erie.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Peterborough, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

This hotel is clean. The staff are very accomodating and it is close to the Millcreek Mall and easy access to Grove City Outlets. There is a swimming pool so bring your bathing suit.
The only thing I found not appealing is the thin walls you could hear the people above us the one night. It may have been just kids jumping or the people were very heavy walkers.
Overall no complaints, great service, good location and spotless.
I would recommend this hotel.
3 of us went but there was also a pull out couch.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments regarding our staff and your stay here at the Springhill Suites Erie. We hold ourselves to very high service standards. The entire staff thanks you for your business and hopes to see you again on your next trip to Erie
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

Stayed at this hotel in Oct/2011. Hotel is fairly new & clean.
Staff were friendly- rooms were clean. Had a Jacuzzi room - Jacuzzi did not have much pressure. King bed was not very comfortable.Toilet did not flush properly. Had 2 nice flat screen televisions in room, however it was a project to get them on at the same time. Some times one would come on & at other times the other.
The value wasn't there for the price we paid on this trip.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us. We have addressed the issues you point out in your comments and are sorry that your stay did not have the value you expected. We hope that you will try us again on your next visit to Erie as I am confident you will notice a difference.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

I'm very disappointed this time around. Me and my family always stay here when we come in to Erie, PA a few times a year since they opened. The front desk lady ( Kimberly )was fantastic with our service as usual and check in went swiftly, but as soon as I got to our room it was horrible. The sheets were not cleaned and did not smell good at all, the bathroom was just pure nasty as if all they did was put new towels and soap in there. The next day the housekeeper if I remembered correctly ( Melissa )was at our room and I had asked her nicely if she wouldn't mind cleaning the room and bathroom really good since it was not done properly when we arrived and to have new sheets on our beds. She had a very bad tone in her voice and had an attitude the whole time and still didn't perform good cleanliness. Other than that the stay was nice, I just hope by the next time I stay that the housekeeper is no longer there she will, put a bad reputation on this nice and wonderful hotel if she continues to be rude towards customers and does not do the job she is suppose to do.

1 Thank sara s
Phil E, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Erie, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Hello,

My name is Phil the General Manager since Oct 2011. I apologize that your good review was never responded to even though your valuable feedback was read. In retrospect the fact that you took the time to compliment us made me feel bad a response was not posted. Therefore if you are out there THANK YOU on behalf of the team.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

The only good thing to be said is that the hotel is new. After that this review goes down hill. When we came to the room for the night, I wished to take a shower to find someone elses pubic hair on the shower wall. The mattresses where like something from goodwill, they had no support.
We have stayed at the Springhill Suites in other locations so we believed that this experience would be like the others, it was a far cry from that. My husband went to the front desk to inform them of the dirty room and that there where no pillows for the pullout couch. He was told that he should have just called the desk. He said he prefferred to speak face to face with a manager. He was told there are no managers on site. Have you ever heard of such a thing? no mangers! This was not because of the time of day, they have no general manager at the hotel he is off site at a development company, or so we were told.
They ignored the complaint of the hair and said they would send some pillows to the room. The pillows came in a timely manner, but that is the last good thing that happened.
Upon check out the next day, we chose to pay cash for the room. We were told that our card would not be charged, it was. We found that out after coming home and checking online. My husband called he was assurred it would be removed in 24 hours it was not. My husband called again he was then told no record could be found of a cash payment and it would be 7 to 10 days depending on our bank. Our bank is PNC bank the same bank that is all over Erie PA. We are from Pittsburgh so our bank ,(PNC), is not even an out of state bank, why would it take 7 to 10 days to remove a charge?
When ever there was an issue at any other Sprinhill Suites it was taken care of in a timely fashion. A good example is the first time we went to a Springhill Suites was in VA beach. We had never stayed at one before and did not realize that there where no in room safes. The manager on duty went home on her break, and brought back her safe for us to use on our stay. This kind of graciousness is why we have always chosen Sringhill Suites over any other hotel. The Erie branch is not even in the same league they should be ashamed to call themselves a Springhill Suites by Marriot.

Hello,

My name is Phil the General Manager since Oct 2011. I apologize that your review was never responded to even though your valuable feedback was read. In retrospect the fact that you took the time to comment us made me feel bad a response was not posted. Therefore if you are out there THANK YOU on behalf of the team at SpringHill Suites Erie!!

Please give us another try and see the changes for yourself!!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

Hurricane Irene forced us to cancel our reservations at Spring Hill Suites, Virginia Beach. So we settled for a short stay in Erie and booked a night with you because of the superb experiences we've always had at Spring Hill, VA Beach. We expected the same from you and OMG...at 1/2, 1/3 or even 1/4 their size...You Are NO VA Beach Spring Hill Suites.
When I have guest overnight at my house, I welcome them with open arms and a clean, well-prepared living environment. The heart of true hospitality lies in the cleanliness, preparedness and anticipation of my guest's wants and needs.
I thoroughly clean the bathroom prior to their arrival... so they don't have to see someone else's pubic hair STUCK to the shower wall and on the bathroom door. (THEY WAY I SAW PUBIC HAIR IN YOUR BATHROOM WHEN WE DROPPED OUR BAGS IN THE ROOM UPON ARRIVAL.)
I make sure that MY guests have ample bedding supplies; pillows, sheets and blankets.
(UNLIKE THE PILLOWS THAT WERE NOT STOCKED IN THE ROOM TO ACCOMPANY YOUR PULL-OUT SOFA.) Had to interupt the gal at the from desk...texting beside a laundry cart...to get some pillows...after I was forced to play the "Are you sure you didn't look everywhere"...game. And while I'm on the subject of games...the signs that say "Vending & Ice" don't appy to all floors. On the 2nd floor it really means, "An Ice Machine" and a plug where a vending machine should be.
Finally, in lieu of no management or anyone capable of handling a management scenario...one gentleman behind the desk stood out...on the day of check-out. I needed a little extra time and Mr. David -- EFFORTLESSLY accomodated my needs. He wasn't a manager...but he SHOULD BE. He was caring, sincere and reassuring. He didn't need a nametag to show that he was important . He showed me that I was HIS guest and HE was going to do whatever he felt necessary to make ME feel special. The only way I'm ever bringing my family back to your hotel is if Mr. -- is promoted. I get the strong impression from his attitude that he would run it like he owned it. THAT is something that cannot be taught or trained. You've either GOT IT...or you don't. And after 18 years in the hospitality industry myself, and the Banquet manager at the Top Of The Triangle in Pittsburgh...IT IS a tough job. But if you don't love it for what it's worth and put service first.... you have no business being in "the business."

Room Tip: Clean the bathrooms from ceiling to floor between guests and get better mattresses
2 Thank PIttsburghPappy
Hello,

Please give us another try and see the changes for yourself!!

Altoona, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

We stayed 3 nights at the SpringHill Suites in Erie PA. The hotel is one of the newest ones in Erie and is in a good location, very close to the mall and many restaurants. The room had a wet bar, microwave and refrigerator. There was a sitting area with a sofa and chair and a flatscreen tv that could be swivaled if you were on the sofa or in bed. The breakfast that was included was good, and there was always fruit in the lobby to snack on. The only negative comment I could make was that the walls were a little thin and you could hear flushing toilets in the middle of the night. All in all, it was a good experience and I would stay at there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 64PamS20
Hello,

My name is Phil the General Manager since Oct 2011. I apologize that your good review was never responded to even though your valuable feedback was read. In retrospect the fact that you took the time to compliment us made me feel bad a response was not posted. Therefore if you are out there THANK YOU on behalf of the team at SpringHill Suites Erie!!