“Cozy and clean B&B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Erie
George Carroll House
Ranked #3 of 7 Erie B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We had a wonderful two night stay at the george carroll house, we stopped over in the drive from Indiana to New Jersey. The house itself is gorgeous and has "old world charm" but the rooms and inside were clean and modern. The bathroom and bedroom were spotless! All the perks of staying in a hotel but with the charm of a bed and breakfast. An added bonus was the keypad entry- we were late arrivals upon checking in (1am) after the long drive and it was so nice to just walk upstairs and go to sleep! The breakfast was just enough to tide you over until lunch and we explored Presque Isle (which is only a 20 min drive away.) The area around the B&B itself is "eh", we wanted to eat down by the bayfront and knew it was only a 5 minute walk but didn't think we would feel comfortable walking back late at night so we drove the 3 blocks. None of the surrounding area mattered much once inside the george carroll house though! Will definitely stay again if in the area :)

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Gennipenni
Chris K, Owner at George Carroll House, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Thank you! We are very happy you decided to stay with us during your trip and we appreciate your comments about our rooms. We try to do everything we can to make your visit comfortable and stress free. Our keypad entry is a nice feature in that you don't have to worry about arrival time, as you mentioned. Plus, our guests don't need to keep track of a key. Again, thanks for staying with us.

There are newer reviews for George Carroll House

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stopped in Erie to break up a long drive, and chose George Carroll over chains close to the interstate because I wanted to see the shoreline and downtown. Stopped at the pier in my car on the way back from Presque Isle Downs to enjoy the sunset outside; it would have been an easy walk but the area was pretty deserted by that time on Sunday and I had seen at least a dozen homeless and/or questionable types loitering on State Street. Innkeeper had advised me that many of the downtown bars and restaurants are closed on Sunday but when more people are out and about or if you're not traveling solo the area seems pretty safe.

Parking and the keypad were very convenient. I heard little evidence of other guests even though the inn was full but did hear the city coming to life in the morning. Room #1 was spacious, spotless, with a very comfortable bed, room-darkening shades and nice modern shower/bathroom. Wi-fi was fast. If I were staying longer or returning I would try to get a north-facing room. Can't vouch for the breakfast as I only had a cup of tea and then hit the road, but there were plenty of good-looking choices and the common rooms were very welcoming if you have the time to linger over the morning meal. Be aware that there is no ice machine if you plan to enjoy a beverage in your room. No problem, as it's easy enough to stop at the McDonald's across the parking lot and buy a cup of ice.

Room Tip: Northside rooms face the lake.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MwSons
Chris K, Owner at George Carroll House, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

MwSons, Thank you for your great review of our B&B and it's many conveniences. We are glad you chose us to stay with during your trip. We do want to point out that although our North rooms do face the bay we are 4 blocks from the waterfront and do not have any rooms with a water view. We hope that on your next visit to Erie you choose to stay with us again and have time to explore the area further.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

For the "7th" year in a row I've visited the George Carroll House. This year there was a new in- house manager "Betsy" who was very hospitable, kind, and thorough. I was there for 5 days and as before the room was clean and comfortable; the coffee hot and fresh; the cereal selections fun, and the treats & fruit juices available at all times. The new manager (daughter of "Christine," the manager for the first 6 years) just picked up where her mom left off. I would and have always recommended The George Carroll House as a fine place to stay. Christine is now in charge of Boothby Inn, another fine find in the town of Erie.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and sunny.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank darBelleVernon_Pa
Chris K, Owner at George Carroll House, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

darbelle,

We look forward to having a great visit with you and your family every year. Thank you for continuing to stay with us and thank you for saying such nice things about us. Have a great Summer and we will see you soon!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

As we approached the 4th of july weekend the stress of half the year was building and an escape was needed. My fiancee' and I decided to take a trip that included the beach wine good food and relaxation. Choosing George Carrol b&b was the best choice! When securing reservations I spoke with a beautiful woman that was able to accommodate my needs that included a resonable price and specific dates and times. Within two hours I received a phone call back with all my needs met! Upon arrival we were greeted with a welcome of the owner Betsy that helped us with choices of places to eat and visit. Our room was very cool clean and pleasently decorated. We were in walking distance to the bayfront where we captured a beautiful sunset. We were less than 20 minutes to seeveral wineries to select wines for our upcoming wedding. We were also less than 20 minutes from the beach! The special touches created a sense of home that included breakfast with a swwet touch and delicious coffee. A relaxing living space included a place to read the newspaper and grab a cold drink and snack. Betsy was available throughout our stay bringing extra towels and dishes to warm up leftovers from our eating out adventures. The fresh flowers and the charm of the b&b will keep this a favorite for special occasions! Take the step on your next mini escape in life at the George Carroll B&B.
.Maria & Rod Lower Burrell Pa.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank hopetoday
Chris K, Owner at George Carroll House, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Maria and Rod,

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are very glad that we could make your stay a memorable and enjoyable one. It was great talking with you and it was very helpful to hear your thoughts on some of our local restaurants and wineries. Good luck with your wedding but we hope to see you both again before the happy day!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at the George Carroll House for two nights. You use a keypad to get in and then check into the room (which also has a keypad instead of a key) yourself. I liked this a lot; after a long day of travel it’s kind of nice just to be able to go quickly to your room. There are two rooms downstairs that are accessible to guests. A sitting room and the dining room; breakfast was self serve and was available from 7am until 11 on the days we were there. In my opinion, they had just enough offerings for breakfast. There were muffins, cold cereal, bread, bagels, snack bars and juice and tea. I really liked their banana nut muffins.

Parking is free right behind the house. It’s right in the downtown area so we walked around and checked out a couple of different places. The Erie Art Museum is within walking distance as well as a McDonalds and a Starbucks. We walked to the water and played mini golf at Harbor View Miniature Golf; it was a lot of fun. We also ate at Rumrunners Cove which I didn’t like very much. After our mini golf game it was dark and I wouldn’t say I felt unsafe, just uncomfortable. If you’re by yourself I would recommend driving to your destination instead of walking at night.

I slept very soundly which is unusual for me while on vacation. Once you’re inside the house it becomes very quiet and that’s perfect for me at night. I was afraid since we were across from a hospital and near downtown that we would be up all night hearing sirens or talking but that was never an issue.

We stayed in a one bedroom but I got to see into a two bedroom room and I wish we would have booked that one. It was quite a bit bigger and we would have had more room for our things. So, if you’re debating between the two I’d recommend spending the extra fifteen dollars and go for the two bedroom.

It took us about fifteen minutes to get to Presque Isle and about twenty to get to MillCreek mall.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank funinthesun037

Thank you for selecting us for your stay in Erie! We value your opinion and are glad that you enjoyed your accommodations and were able to see many of our local attractions. The larger rooms do give you more opportunity to spread out. We have a few different layouts to choose from the next time you're in Erie. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

This B&B was a great find! We had arrived later in the night and I was pleasantly surprised at how organized everything was. Even from the moment I booked everything it was organized. I was responded to right away in emails and everything was clear and precise when I booked it. When we walked in there was a little white out board with the room numbers and the names next to each room of who was staying in them. This was a great feature as it just confirmed more of the information I was already given in a email. The house is gorgeous and very clean! It fits the charm of a old house but isn't run down at all and doesn't fit the stereotypical feel of a B&B. This one is a modern B&B! I love that the whole house you use a key pad! Very neat and so much easier than worrying about keys, etc. Our room was gorgeous and very clean and neat! There was a block party going on the night that we arrived. It was a noisy outside but you could hardly hear anything when you are inside the house! I was quite impressed with that as well. We didn't get to make it to breakfast on the days were were there due to other things going on during our trip, but they did have some sort of apple crumble thing that was marvelous! We met Chris (one of the inn keepers/owners) when we were checking out! She is such a nice lady! If we are in Erie ever again we will definitely be staying here! This place is awesome!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris K, Owner at George Carroll House, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

We want to thank you for choosing to stay with us! And, to also thank you for your kind words about our key pad entry, cleanliness, and the ease of your arrival. We really appreciate when guests take the time out of their day to leave a wonderful review. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

We traveled to Lake Erie for a medical emergency for a sick newborn family member. After a horrific night at a local hotel we found out about the wonderful George Carroll House. It is a historic building run by a mother and daughter team who live on site and are extremely compassionate and accommodating. The location is wonderful with free off street parking and within 1 block walking distance of the main street and the local hospital. We were able to walk back and forth to the hospital at all hours of the day and night without any issue. Able to pick up great food at the Taproom which was centrally located on the walk between the hospital, tip for those from out of town. If you are there for leisure they have a large great room with the original fireplace with inlaid Italian tiles where you can sit and unwind, including reading about the historic building. For families with loved ones in the hospital system there is no better place to stay and have some stability during an otherwise stressful time. Highly recommend to everyone.

• Stayed: June 2013
Chris K, Owner at George Carroll House, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

RoadDogg75,
We are so glad that you found us! We realize that hospital experiences are usually a stressful time so we aim to make things as relaxing and accommodating as possible. We're happy that you were comfortable here. Thank you for the wonderful review and we hope you come back to see us when you can enjoy more of what Erie has to offer. Hope all is well!