“Fantastic Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Riviera Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Erie
Riviera Motel
Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Erie
orland park Illinois, USA
“Fantastic Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

We stayed for 5 days while on vacation with our family. The Motel was clean and the staff very friendly. Great location for the beach and getting throughout the city. I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank jpcooney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
massillon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2010

We stayed here two nights while fishing Presque Isle Bay. It wasn't a romantic getaway, but even with that in mind we would never stay there again or recommend it to anyone else. When we arrived, there wasn't any record of our reservation but the clerk suddenly "found" us when I quoted a reservation number and gave the owner's name. The room was funky smelling even though the owner had assured me when I made the reservation that not only were the rooms cleaned daily, but our room was only recently "spring cleaned."

The beds were hard as rocks and the walls were paper thin. We could hear every movement, every sneeze, etc. from the next room. We also had to listen to a verbal fight for at least 90 minutes from the next room our first night. In the middle of a shower the water turned scalding hot then about two minutes later ice cold yet no one in our room had flushed the toliet or ran the water in the sink.

The parking lot was very narrow and hard to navigate in an Explorer. We had to park the boat out of sight behind the motel, which wasn't too big of a deal, but we were told there was good parking for boats.

The location itself was pretty good as far as close to the main strip. The pool was very small and only partially filled.

Next time I would just use priceline.com and find a decent chain hotel/motel for the same amount of money.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yvonneMassillon

Travelers are raving about these Erie hotels

ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2010

I dont know where some of these previous people were staying. This place was a big disaster. The owners did make sure my room was available for an early check in, as my son and I were heading to presqe isle bay to fish for the weekend, and they made sure that a microwave was in the room for popcorn. The good stops here!! the neighborhood is bad. there is a trailer park right across the street screaming obcenities running after a car as we were unloading our bags. The place where they want you to park your boat is out back , you cant see it. I brought all our equipment in at night for fear it was going to be stolen. The motel has what seems to be "long term residents" living there, sitting on their patios.The weather turned bad(50 mph winds and 30 degrees) so we asked for the money for 2nd night stay back. We did get it, but had to argue to get it. I know the erie hotels are expensive and/or not great but do not stay here. We werent expecting great, it was a weekend father/son fishing trip. but this place is not worth the 50 some bucks a night even. yuck!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank zoom8942
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2009

During a recent trip to Lake Erie/Presque Isle, PA, my husband and I along with our 16 yr old girl and 12 yr old nephew, stayed at the Riviera for 5 days from June 15th to the 19th and we were very pleased! The room (18) had one queen bed and one double bed, air conditioner with remote, a desk with a chair and very large wall mirror behind it, a small nook area with a table and 2 chairs, a small dorm-sized fridge, a 4-cup coffee maker (with a complimentary pack of coffee, creamer, sugar and cups replenished each day - they even cleaned out the pot/machine daily!), a wall mounted tv with extended cable and remote, free wi-fi, very reasonable phone rates, a nightstand between the beds, a small closet, and a full bathroom. The owners were very nice as were the clerks. We had a small gift bag waiting when we arrived with samples of toothpaste, Aleve, granola bars, lotion and a few other items in it. There is a complimentary ice machine and coffee maker (if you want more coffee!) outside of the office along with 50 cent soda and gourmet coffee vending machines, They have a nice-sized heated outdoor swimming pool which is open daily until 9:30pm (no life-guard...swim at your own risk) during the summer season, a small picnice area around the side of the motel in a tiny yard where there is a barbecue grill, and electric hook-ups for fisherman's boats to recharge. And if you plan on going to Waldameer Amusement Park/Water World Water Park during your stay, the motel is almost directly across the street from the back entrance (Rainbow Gardens entry) to the park....as a matter of fact, you could walk across the street and up a small driveway and be at the park in about 10 minutes or less! AND the motel has an agreement with the park that if you buy your tickets through the motel office, you get $4.95 off of each ticket if you purchase the one for entry to both parks (making them only $18.00 each!). There is a small superette directly across the street that has pretty good wings and a few grocery/personal/toiletry items, and is only about a 5-10 minute drive away from several family restaurants/bars, banks, various shops, the Tom Ridge Environmental Center, bait shops, and the entrance to Presque Isle. Downtown Erie, the Bay Front, Erie Casino, the Maritime Museum, the Erie Zoo and other attractions are all within 15-35 minutes drive. The room was cleaned nicely each day. The reasons I gave it only 4 stars for service and rooms are: service: one night housekeeping forgot to give us 2 rolls of TP and we almost ran out of the one roll we did have before the office opened in the AM - rooms: my pillow was a little on the lumpy, probably seen it's better day side (though they would have replaced it if I had asked....but hubby traded me...lol), and there wasn't enough space to put clothing seeing as there were no dressers and only a handful of hangers in the closet (I suggest bringing a few of your own if you are staying more than 2-3 days or have more than one person in the room) Sure, there are other more modern chain hotels in the area that offer similar prices and include a small breakfast daily, but all in all, our experience was very positive and this is a great place to stay - the owners and other guests were friendly and social, the location can't be beat, and there is a family-type atmosphere throughout (though some of the rooms DO have heart-shaped jacuzzis in them for a romantic get-a-way ;o). Re: the negative review right before mine: I can't imagine the owners or any employees placing stained sheets on the beds and then to boot telling their guests they are "permanently stained". Doesn't sound like something you would hear or see done at the Riviers I stayed at! Thumbs up for sure on this motel!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank BethB39
Toledo, OH
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2008

As you can see by my reviews, I've stayed at dozens of properties, but have only walked away twice, refusing to stay. This was one of those times. Web site does not really show you much and now I know why. This place is old and hasn't been updated in over 30 years. We're talking 1970's decor and bathroom fixtures and tile. I'm o.k. with old, but when daughter pulled back the sheet, we saw red stains and a hair on the top sheet and gray stains on the bottom sheet. The front desk employee told me they were washed, but that the stains "may be permanent." I told him I have never stayed at a motel with permanently stained sheets. Then he told me they have a 48 hour cancellation policy and I would still have to pay. I refused and he called the owner, who eventually agreed not to charge us. The rate, by the way, was $105 per night, which was quite high. This motel MAY be worth $50/night if they have clean sheets.

• Disliked — Dirty sheets
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank tamaralea
Enfield CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2008

Once again the went above themselves. It is a great place. My whole family has been staying there for 5 years as our reunion is across the street. Everyone there is very friendly and treat you like family.

• Liked — owners
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank lynn9
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2007

The kids got out of school and I needed a couple day getaway with them. Someplace close to Pittsburgh but far enough that it felt like a vacation , albeit 2 day vacation! Chose Erie's Presque Isle and the Riviera Motel. Frankly, I wasn't expecting much. To my delight, the motel and the Presque Isle experience was one that I will reflect on for many years. The motel had that ambience of the motels of my youth: quaint, manicured, old fashioned rooms overlooking a parking lot and a pool. Some people opt for the high rise complexes that cost exorbitant amounts of money and everytime you need something from your car you have to walk a mile to some distant parking garage. I prefer the door a few feet from my car. Same goes for the distance to the pool. Was able to sit on patio chairs by the room and watch the kids have a ball swimming in the evening. All accommodations were very clean; the bathroom was the cleanest I have ever seen anywhere and the pool was also very clean. The rooms were typical size of the older motels but had been updated and had a refrigerator and microwave available. The proprietors were a family who attended to every individual need. With the discount amusement park (Waldameer) tickets we had a blast right across the street! Kudos to the owners of this unique facility!

• Liked — Family atmosphere and 60's motel ambience
  • Disliked — proximity to the highway
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family