“Displaced From Home”
Review of Glass House Inn

Glass House Inn
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My three children and I were displaced from our home due to a tragic fire. If it were not for the extremely convenient location of Glass House Inn, there would have been no other viable option for us to remain in the vicinity of my children's schools. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this place existed to accomodate our immediate needs. I appreciated the friendliness of the staff during our time of recovery. The place was very peaceful and quiet and I took comfort in the calming "grandma's house" appeal. At the time, I was in graduate school so it was nice that my children could be offset in a darker area of the room, tucked into big comfy beds while I sprawled out on two big plush wingback chairs and studied under a lamp. Despite the room's size (as opposed to a 4 bedroom home), the furniture and layout of the room made it a comfortable atmosphere and conducive to functioning given our situation. I had plenty of room to lay out our salvaged belongings and stack my schoolbooks. Lastly, I will mention the extreme convenience of being able to park right outside our door. It was in a lot of ways like home for us, which is exactly what we needed at the time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
laura m, Owner at Glass House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for the kind review. We hope you and your family are doing well. We are glad we could help in any way in your time of need. Thanks

Reviewed April 22, 2013

When booking a hotel for my recent business trip to Erie, I decided to look into some simpler, less expensive lodgings. I was hoping to find a good old fashioned “mom and pop” type of place, and I discovered Glass House Inn. It is a quaint, modest little 1-story motel with some bushes and shrubs lining the walkway in front of the rooms. I liked the feel and personality of the motel from the moment I pulled into the parking lot.

I enjoyed meeting one of the owners, Laura, upon arrival. She was very welcoming and friendly, conversing with me as she checked me in. The lobby and breakfast area are very attractive and inviting. I got my key (a real physical key) and went to drop my suitcase in my room. It was one of the quickest and smoothest check-ins I’ve had in a long time.

My room was a queen room with a sofa, chair, desk and LCD flat-screen TV. There is plenty of space in the room, and the smart layout of the furniture gave you an open “living room” area as you enter. The wall separating the bedroom from the bathroom area conceals a storage nook that contained the mini-fridge and microwave. The bathroom itself is small with older fixtures, but that’s not a complaint. Everything worked fine and with a “staging” area just outside, there is plenty of room to change or shave. The room was very clean and well kept, and the furniture was in great shape and very comfortable. The mattress was soft but offered good support and was quite comfortable.

There’s no other way to say it. The Glass House Inn is just a cool place to spend the night. It’s like stepping back in time to the ‘50s and ‘60s when the American motel flourished, before the cookie-cutter chains took over the market. It’s comfortable and reasonably priced with a personal touch. In other words, it’s what a motel SHOULD be. The chains have their place, but if you want to stay somewhere with character and charm that feels a little like home, you need to look at places like the Glass House Inn.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank exterior_corridors
glasshouseinn, Owner at Glass House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thank you very much for the kind words and great description of your stay at our place. Thanks for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed at this property from Thurs to Sun--On Friday when returning to our room there were 2 issues first we couldn't get any heat ( baseboard hot water system) after waiting for about an hour for the heat to come on I went to the office and after talking to someone the girl at the desk went to a room close to our room and turned the heat up --this solved our heat problem ?? Second housekeeping did not leave any toilet paper so back up to the office for a roll. On Sat the same --no toilet paper --back up to the office again for a roll.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us. Yes, I remember that day you arrived it had been in the 70's the day before and the thermostats were all turned down since the A/C's were on. So the next day when it was winter-like, we had to get that hot water circulating again:) Thank you for rating us highly for sleep quality, value, location, service and cleanliness. We hope to see you again when you return to Erie.

Sincerely, Tim

Reviewed April 21, 2013

The Glass House Inn certainlyy lived up to all the favorable reviews I had read. The atmosphere was what one would have found around 1960 with a family run lodge. Comfortable beds with attention to detail were the order of the day. If you are interested in the way lodging used to be the Glass House Inn should appeal to you. Great continetal breakfast and old time family feel. Tim and his family welcome you as their guest not just a customer!

The Knight Family

Room Tip: The family room would bre great for larger families!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for the kind words and thank you for staying with us. We really appreciate your business and hope to see you again someday soon.

Tim

Reviewed April 17, 2013

The Glass House is a motor inn, with doors opening to the parking lot, so it is probably not for everyone. Even so, I got a very good night's sleep there.

The office closes at 10pm, and I barely made it. It's not exactly clear to me what I would have had to do if it were closed, so keep this in-mind,

The room was right next to the office which was kind of nice. They have a breakfast/snack room that is very homey and access during open hours is fast and easy.

The internet connection was fine, but the TV was a bit older tube version and the audio was a little hard to understand without higher volume. The tile was cracked in my bathroom and the HV system was pulled off the wall in one area in the main room. I heard the drip and water flow of the system, but this did not disturbe my rest.

The motel is well located in Erie with multiple choices for food and convenience stores close. The fridge was a nice touch, but it was unplugged. The bathroom was very small without much work room.

The value/comfort ratio here is very good. Even so, I may look forward something a little more "typical' next time I am in Erie.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My Sister and I stayed here 2 years ago when my sister had her first great grandson. Our stay was very welcoming then and it was the same when we came back this year to celebrate his 2nd birthday.It is a family run buisness and they do what they can for you. Laura and Tim are great people. We also enjoy their light breakfast. We will stay there every time we go back. Jeannie Phelps and Sandy Collett.

Room Tip: We like the wing rooms
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
laura m, Owner at Glass House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Dear Jeannie and Sandy, It's always nice to see you dear ladies. Thanks for staying with us again. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Since we would be arriving after the office closed, we had to make special arrangements to get into our room . No problem. We arrived during a snow storm, however, the snow was plowed from the parking lot and removed from the walkway the first thing the next morning. The room was cozy with plenty of space. The bathroom was small and dated, but everything was in working order. Plenty of hot water. Beds were comfortable and the room pleasantly decorated. Breakfast was basic - but there was plenty to eat. Items included cereal,bagels, danishes, muffins, orange juice and , of course , coffee and tea. The hard working owners , Tim and Laura, were easy to talk to and provded helpful answers to our questions. This is a well run hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cdeast

Thanks for the nice review. We love when guests share what our small motel is like. Tripadvisor is a great way to reach guests that might otherwise only stay at the name brand hotels. Thank you for staying with us.