“Very nice family stay”
Review of Glass House Inn

Glass House Inn
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We enjoyed our 2 nights at Glass House Inn over Labor Day weekend 2012. Chose a family room which has 2 double beds and a single. The Inn is very very outdated, but the bed was super comfortable and we liked the included breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I had the wonderful privilege of staying at the Glass House Inn for the Erie Marathon. The room made me feel like I was staying in the home of a friend or relative. It was warm and welcoming. The bed was very comfortable and the room was spotless.
My husband and I plan to run in the marathon next year, and we will be staying at the Glass House Inn.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed 3 nights over Labor Day weekend and feel we have found a new favorite place for our overnight trips to Presque Isle. This is a superb location for Presque Isle. The room was immaculate, the bed was comfortable, and we appreciated being able to adjust the air conditioning. Having a fridge and microwave in the room really fit our needs - there's a supermarket nearby so you can stock up on what you like, avoid the expense of restaurants for every meal, and have picnic stuff for the beach. I would describe the breakfast as " continental plus" -- to me, "continental" means some form of bread or pastry and coffee. In addition to assorted pastries, bagels, and whole wheat bread, there were hot and cold cereals (several choices), delicious fresh fruit, and juice. It's not a bed&breakfast with a sumptuous gourmet hot meal in the morning, but it doesn't pretend to be -- and it's not as costly as typical b&bs. Several families with small children were there and they were a pleasure to watch- well behaved kids having a great family time. It is on a highway but we didn't hear ANY noise in our room. This place is a great choice!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We recently spent two nights at Glass House Inn.
We had three rooms, each a different type, and no one was disappointed. I too made our decision based on TripAdvisor reviews and am glad I did. You can certainly tell the difference between a family owned business and a name brand chain. The staff couldn't have been friendler or more helpful!

I knew this was an older motel so I wasn't surprised by being handed a real "key"or the overall look and feel of the place. In the standard queen room there was drawer space, a closet, a table to sit at, a microwave, small fridge, coffee maker and a recliner. Lots of space to move around too. Very clean, plenty of lighting. Felt like a real bedroom.

The bathroom was fine but didn't have much of an area to put your toiletries I liked the fact that there were two lights and one was *in* the shower. The kids each had 3 people in their rooms and only 2 sets of towels but that was remedied as soon as they requested more. I've never
been to a hotel that gives you a decent size bar of soap so I take my own. Same with shampoo and conditioner. One thing that did come in handy was the trial size of Tom's deodorant because I forgot to pack ours! lol

The kids and grandkids loved the pool. It can be crowded at times because it's small but at least it was there *and* heated!

We enjoyed and appreciated the benches outside the rooms and the smokers in the group appreciated the ashtrays on the window sills. I was glad to see the ashtrays were emptied in the morning because I couldn't find an outside trash can. I did see one at the pool later on but thought there might be an additional one for convenience sake. I definitely didn't want to put stale cigarette butts in the small wastebaskets in the room!

As for the "continental" breakfast, I can only assume the complainers don't know what
that means. The offerings were substantial and exactly what we anticipated. The knives in the peanut butter and jelly struck me as odd but it's not like anyone was licking them before replacing them.

We have only stayed at one other hotel in the area [4 times and it was closest to Presque Isle] and are very glad we opted to spend the extra money - less than $20 - to stay at Glass House Inn this year.

I like the fact that Glass House Inn is small and you can walk right out your door to your car.
It is very conducive to groups of friends or families.

We will definitely be repeat customers. Thank you Merrymans!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sunshineYoungstown
laura m, Owner at Glass House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Sunshine, Tim and I are happy you gave our place a try. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future. Thank you for the lovely review! Sincerely, Laura

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I have stayed at the Glass House Inn numerous times, and I keep coming back. It is a clean quaint motor lodge reminiscent of a bed and breakfast or the motels of my youth. My family and I love feeling like one of the Merryman family when we come and stay. We have seen their children grow and relish the feeling of safety and security we have at a place like the Glass House. The quality of care Tim and Laura have for their facility is second to none. The rooms are immaculate and homey. The pool is perfect for my family and we love to hang out and relax on our journeys. The continental breakfast is a great way to get the day started, coffee, fruit, cereal, bagels and toast - what we eat at home. If you want something more, there are many excellent LOCAL restaurants close by.

The Glass House Inn is also just miles away from numerous Erie attractions, Presque Isle, the Bayfront area, Waldameer and Water World Amusement Parks, the Millcreek Mall complexes, and just minutes from the Presque Isle Downs and Casino. If you have to be in Erie for business or medical reasons, the motel is also close to both St. Vincent's, UPMC Hamot, and Millcreek Community hospital. Its location is another reason why I thoroughly enjoy the Glass House. At first, I thought being on Route 20 (a major highway) would be discouraging and loud, but not the case at all. It is a quiet, neighborhood setting, right on the road. I will stay again and again. I have also sent my family there and they love it as well. Keep up the good work, Tim and Laura!

Room Tip: Has plenty of amenities for the family traveler, Great for the business traveler who is tired of th...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

You do have a way with words. They are music to my ears. I wish you and your family the best. We hope to see you soon! Thank you. Laura

Reviewed August 23, 2012

So two days out of the week I stay at a Marriott or Starwood chain, but when work brings me to Erie I always look forward to the Glass House Inn! SO much cleaner and friendlier than any of the chain hotels. I feel like I am always coming back to stay with family. Laura/Tim the owners are great and I have seen their kids grow up over the years. It is a very nice motel, no elevators, you can park by your room, new beds, free wifi, great pool, and a nice continental breakfast. Tim/Laura are extremely helpful with restaurant reccomendations, directions, and basically anything you ask. This week I had late conference calls and the front desk got the continental breakfast back out for me! Thank you! See you soon from Nashville.....

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Sara M

dear Sara M,
Thank you for the great review. What can I say your too nice. People like you make our job so worth it! We wish all of our guests liked us as much as you do. Thank you. Sincerely,Laura

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stood at this motel just a few days ago, for one night. My husband and I were quite pleased! Admittedly, the bathroom and the TV were a bit dated, as one reviewer mentioned, but -- so what? Everything worked, and was clean. The bedding was new(er) and pretty. Decor was nice. I can't believe the fuss reviewers are making over the breakfast. I thought everyone knew a "continental" breakfast is a lighter breakfast. Though I was completely satisfied after my cereal, coffee, juice, danish, and melons. We walked over to the clean and beautiful pool in the evening, and dipped our toes in, and the water was delightfully perfect. Too bad we were too tired to swim. The motel was close to Presque Isle, which was what we wanted. The most important thing - the bed - was very comfortable. I only wish I had another pillow. Since we didn't want to use the two pretty pillows with the shams that were not removable, we were only left with two. Maybe an extra plain pillow in the closet would be nice. But we made do! :)

If you are looking for an average-priced hotel that is comfortable, clean, and has free breakfast - stay here. If you want a big-screen TV, steak and eggs, etc., I guess this isn't the place for you. But it was just right for us!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the wonderful review. All the pillow shams pillows can be removed and the pillows have clean cases on them. Tim and I are pleased you enjoyed your stay. We hope to have you stay again. Thanks, Laura