Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Erie (Summit Township)
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Reviewed September 21, 2013

we stop here on all our trips home from visiting family in the United States. It located close to some great restaurants and to I90. The staff is always friendly and helpful. I found it interesting because we had a suite and each TV had a different set of channels so it was a little difficult finding programs even with the TV station list from the front desk. It matched one of the TVs but not the other one.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Erie (Summit Township), responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear 2011taurus,
Thank you for your review we know there are alot of choices in this area and we are glad you chose us, we are sorry about the inconvience of the TV's as we were at that time changing over to HD service and a few TV's were missed, rest assured we have them all fixed and we look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I recently completed a 1 night stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Erie, PA while in town on business. This HI Express is located right off of the highway and is close to a number of major restaurants and businesses, so the location is quite good.
I think my overall impression of the hotel is split between good points and bad points. On the positive side, my check-in went very smooth (although I was not recognized as a Platinum IHG Rewards member), and I was given my room key quickly. It should be noted that there are no king-size bed rooms at this property. Every room is a little mini-suite. Mine had a separate bedroom with two beds and a mini kitchen which I didn't use. Overall the room was quite spacious. My issues with the room was that there was a pronounced odor in the room. It is nothing particular, just the smell of an old hotel room that might have once been a smoking room. It smelled stale, and moldy, and kind of gross. Also, the furnishings have seen better days with lots of chips, cracks, and stains.
On the positive side, I found the bed and pillow quite comfortable, and the free wi-fi was very fast and easy to use.
In the morning, I think my biggest disappointment was the free breakfast. I've stayed at tons of HI Express hotels so I knew what to expect, but this hotel was lacking the basics. There was no toast or English muffins. No yogurt or oatmeal. Just very suspicious eggs and sausage, and some cheap sugary cereals. I was terribly dissapointed and wound up walking two doors down to Bob Evans for a quick breakfast.
I've stayed at other hotels in this section of Erie before, and for the money, I feel this HI Express just doesn't stack up against the Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn when staying for business. If you're there with a family for the water park, then this might be a great stay!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ChewInRI
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Erie (Summit Township), responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear Rusttribe,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with our location. Please accept our apologies that we fell short of your expectations with the room cleanliness and the breakfast. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to make your next stay as best as it can be.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

This HIE is one of the better HIE motels we've stayed in. It was clean, quiet, and pretty busy. There is an indoor water park connected to the property, which draws families .. especially on weekends. The breakfast is, as in other HIE properties, free and of good quality, but it just like the breakfasts at other HIEs. If you frequently use this motel chain, the breakfasts can get a little boring, but it is consistent.

This location also has a pool and excercise room.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Erie (Summit Township), responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Dear HarlanD505,

We are happy that you enjoyed our hotel during your travels, and appreciate your comments, I have passed this review on to my management team and staff. Thanks again.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Hotel room was ok, t but the sofa was old & not very clean , made sure that we did not walk barefooted the bathroom could have used some improvements especially the shower did not work properly it kept sliding down; But what was pretty bad was the breakfast the only fresh fruit were bananas. & that surprised me because most hotels we have stayed in, the breakfast had a lot of different foods. There was a machine that make pancakes but they tasted rubbery . The staff at the front desk were very friendly, but I don't think that we would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Erie (Summit Township), responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Maria G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. Our staff always goes out of their way to be helpful and attentive to the guests and we are glad that you enjoyed their hospitality. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been due to the room cleanliness and the breakfast. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The benefit of this hotel was the access to the waterpark. This was very convenient! However, the hotel is very out dated. I've stayed at many Holiday Inn Express locations and this was definitely was the worst. Carpets were extremely dirty and stained, the washrooms are old, bathtubs are stained, the beds were extremely uncomfortable. Although the cleaning staff made effort to clean the rooms as good as they could despite the condition. I believe the matresses have never been changed. I was disappointed as my family expected a comfortable stay and instead were watching every corner of the room from the first impression. After 9pm there is nothing to do in the area expect eat. There is no entertainment for the family who stays up past 9pm. Forget the breakfast...no taste....we went out every morning and bought our meal. The front desk staff was not very helpful under stress...it was Labour Day lond weekend and they just didnt know what to do with all the complaints and questions they were receiving. I never like to write bad reviews but I have to let people know what to expect...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Erie (Summit Township), responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Mylife1971,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests and for that please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if your stay was negatively affected by the cleanliness of your room. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and show you just how much we care about delivering an above average experience.

Krysllin G

Reviewed September 4, 2013

water park was amazing 5 kids had no complaints ... room (suite) was basic and average, 4 plates no utensils and 4 plastic cups oh well not planning on hanging out in room anyhow..staff were polite and friendly breakfast was nice good selection....299 for a night 7 people 6 passes to waterpark and breakfast ..just dont think its a 5 star and you will enjoy yourself.......

Room Tip: we went with 2 adults and 5 kids 11 to 15 had a suite , two pullout sofa beds (nasty) and two double...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Erie (Summit Township), responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear sshand1,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. My apologies for any disappointment you may have had. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Location and the fact that is connected to a water park was very good.
Room carpet was all stained. Same with sofa bed.
Bathtub looked old and needs updating.
Breakfast was just an average. Nothing special.

Room Tip: Overpriced, overpriced especially if you take water passes.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Ridemebaby,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are deeply sorry for the issues you had with your room accommodations and any inconvenience you have encountered which affected your stay negatively. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M