“Gone Downhill”

Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Asheville, North Carolina
“Gone Downhill”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We're stayed at this Homewood Suites before, and we've stayed at other Homewood Suites in other cities. This one has definitely gone downhill since our last stay. We awoke the first morning to find our room had no body lotion; upon checking, I also discovered we had no little pad of paper or pencil or pen--things normally supplied. So, when we walked past the front desk, I gave the woman standing there a note on the form supplied in the room and asked for the missing things. We returned late that night and didn't check to see if the hotel had put the necessary items in the room. However, in the morning we realized they hadn't. Not only had they not provided the missing items, they didn't replace the shampoo that I'd used to wash some glasses. So, upon leaving later that morning, I said something to the woman behind the desk (a different woman); she was quite familiar with my request and said not having supplied the things was "an oversight." When we returned that evening, the items had been delivered--along with a bag of hard candy and an apologetic note. I think it would have been far easier to merely handle our request the first time (or impress upon housekeeping what each room is supposed to have). The hotel itself is fine. Our room was clean and comfortable. The carpeting in the elevator lobby, in the elevators, and in the elevator waiting area on our floor was soiled and needed to be replaced; it has clearly been soiled for awhile. This Homewood Suite did not live up to our expectations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KenCookie
ErieHomewood, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
I apologize that we were unable to provfide you with the quality of amenities and services you are accustomed to. I will use your suggestions as a training experience for our housekeeping staff. I am happy to hear that you were pleased with the condition and cleanliness of the room.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed here in August 2012 for a week. It was what we have come to expect from Homewood Suites; good sized, clean rooms; a comprehensive breakfast; and a decent evening meal (Mon-Thurs). On arrival it was tricky to find the entrance (if using a GPS it is best to navigate to Dicks Sporting Goods) but this wasn't a huge issue.

It is within walking distance to Millcreek Mall and has a good selection of restaurants nearby. The staff were friendly and welcoming and always happy to help.

We would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to chose a room at the Millcreek Mall end of the hotel as it is further away from the freeway
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ErieHomewood, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
We look forward to seeing you back soon!
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I recently stayed here for a mini vacation before the kids went back to school. The suites were spacious and very clean. The beds were beyond comfortable! I especially loved that they included a breakfast bar in the morning and a light dinner( they had wine too!!!) Skye from the front desk was very informative and very personable! We will definitely stay here on our next trip to presque isle!!

• Stayed August 2012
ErieHomewood, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back!
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I was a little apprehensive booking this hotel after reading some of the negative reviews but I wanted a hotel with a smoking room and this was the only option available in this area. The hotel is located right inside Millcreek mall for those interested in shopping. Lots of great restaurants nearby as well.

Johann at the front desk was very polite and pleasant and made the
Check-in process smooth and easy. I stayed mid week so the hotel was on the quite side. The room was a king suite on the 4th floor. I had no issues with the room as it was very clean and well maintained. Room came equipped with a large fridge, stove, pots and pans, plates, microwave and coffee maker. They even gave a bag of microwavable popcorn which was a nice touch. The room had a 27" flat screen TV and they will provide a free DVD player rental if you are interested. Just bring your own movies.

The hotel offers a hot breakfast from 6:00am to 9:00am as well as dinner with wine and beer from Monday to Thursday. Although I didn't eat dinner at the hotel, it seemed quite popular and they post a weekly menu in the rooms so you know what to expect. I had breakfast one day and it was quite nice.

Pros:
- Free internet access in the rooms
- Free hot breakfast everyday
- Free dinner (monday to thursday)
- Free parking
- Clean rooms
- Great service

Cons:
- I couldn't find anything to complain about.

considering my previous reservations, I was pleasantly surprised with this hotel and would definitely choose it again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shane1975
Thank you for the wonderful review! It is our goal to provide only the highest level of cleanliness and customer service for all of our guests. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Chose Homewood Suites because of an excellent stay in a Homewood in Cambridge, Ontario. Mary checked us in and gave us an upgrade to a 2-bedroom (had extra kids) with a significant discount. Great service to start and it went downhill from there. Pull-out sofa had no bedding and there was no extra bedding the room. It took a long time to get the bedding then we were still short a blanket. Fortunately we had sleeping bags. The walls and floors are paper-thin. We could hear every step of the people above and spent the first night with a pillow over my head. The breakfast was disappointing and the dining room area was too small for the crowds. People ate standing or carried breakfast back to their room. One breakfast featured eggs, french toast, waffles and biscuits. No bacon?! They seemed to be seriously understaffed and breakfast tables were neither bussed nor cleaned. On check-out, I waited with another party when the front desk woman decided to saunter out. She was very inattentive to the point of dismissive in a seriously "I don't care" way. Suites are excellent for travelling with teenagers affording privacy to all and the separate bathrooms are great. The location of this hotel is excellent - virtually in the Millcreek Mall parking lot. However, it is overpriced for the drawbacks and the noise.

1 Thank InTheMuskokas
ErieHomewood, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you for your candid review of your recent stay at our hotel. We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services and amenities you deserve. Because your satisfaction is very important, we try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. I will be reaching out to you in order to make this right.
Upstate NY
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stay usually four times a year with our two young boys and love it. The boys love the pool and whirlpool, and my husband and I appreciate the free yummy breakfast and separate bedroom (from the boys who sleep on the hide-a-bed). This past stay, the breakfast was pretty disappointing, so much that my husband said we may have to find a new go-to hotel for our half-way point in our trip. We arrived late and wanted to put the boys right to bed on the hide-away, but there were no sheets in the closets. There were also no towels in the pool area (when the pool opened -- they should be stocked and ready to go!). As always, the staff was friendly and professional (can't say that about all hotels!).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, I apologize for your suite not being properly stocked with linens for the extra bed, and for a lack of towels out at the pool. Your comments are very important to us and we take them seriously. I will review your comments with the housekeeping team to make sure rooms and public areas have enough linens. I hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in Erie.
Minneapolis
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Great hotel! The staff is friendly and accommodating. They easily solved my problems that I had there and were great with my pet. Made a difficult trip much easier. I would not hesitate to stay here again. Provides free dinner most weeknights, including sometimes catered meals from local restaurants. Free beer/wine during dinner as well. Great location right by the mall. Breakfast is amazing as well and changes each day. Staff will get to know you as well and seem to bend over backward to make your stay easier.

Room Tip: Preferably not near the highway but has thick walls anyway to keep out noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the wonderful review of our staff! We look forward to seeing you again soon!