“Charged my bank account unknown charges”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie
Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Erie
“Charged my bank account unknown charges”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed 2 nights here. While the hotel was nice, at check out we ran into problems. We asked to split the cost one night on my debit card and one night on his debit card (as i knew i did not have a balance to pay for both nights). The lady said she could do that. It turns out my card was charged twice and his card was also charged over $200. My card was then also charged an additional fee for $17. Although the hotel staff was helpful, this all was a big headache and i had to call my bank numerous times and the hotel numerous times. I also ran into trouble trying to use my debit card before i knew i was charged all this. I don't expect these kinds of problems from hilton employees and i think they need to be a little more careful when charging peoples cards as money does not grow on trees. Very frustrated.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank megggx10
ErieHomewood, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize we were not able to provide you with the quality of services and amenities you deserve. We take pride in the hotel and reviews like yours help us understand where opportunity for improvement lies. In regards to the charges, I am currently working with billing department to fully understand what happened and will have all charges removed. For clarification, Hilton employees do not receive bonuses based on occupancy levels at the hotel. I will be reaching out to you personally and you can also reach me at lisa.chilson@hilton.com.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This is my first ever review- but my stay inspired me to write.

Here is a list of why I ranked this hotel "terrible" and feel anyone accustomed to a Hilton brand hotel would be shocked here.

1) This hotel was very expensive the weekend I stayed- more than $100 dollars more than nicer hotels I recently stayed at in Chicago, Pittsburgh, and a much nicer Homewood about 90 minutes away in Beachwood, Ohio.

2) The toilet was broken and I had to use a rubber band to flush it (I was given a $20 discount for this issue).

3) The bed skirt was torn.

4) The carpet was coming up around the area it meets the tile.

5) The white doors were dirty and had not been wiped down in sometime.

6) The water ran forever and never got more than luke warm.

7) The AC could not get the room below 74.

8) The decor clearly was the original decor- a very late 90's vibe that was not appealing. Very cheap looking.

The room was bad enough I worked with Hilton guest services as a mediator with the front desk to allow me to leave for another hotel. To top things off- Hilton had arranged with the front desk for me to leave no charge...and assured me of that. When I arrived at the front desk the manager (who knew I was coming to leave) said that since I stayed in the room and no maids were there to clean it I would be charged full price! When I said I would call back Hilton to figure things out she quickly decided I did not need to do that and I could leave. I still had to be charged $1.11 I guess so she could show "100% occupancy" so she could get a bonus I guess. HORRIBLE way to treat a guest!

I recommend a complete overhaul of this hotel or lowering the brand to a comfort in or something such as that.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank BrianO271
North Canton, Ohio
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stay here every summer when we come to Erie to visit family. The rooms are spacious, nicely decorated and very clean. The free breakfast and manager's reception in the evening are nice extras. Staff is very friendly. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thanks for the wonderful review-we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Cambridge
Reviewed July 20, 2012

it appears from the other reviews that being told that a smoking room will not smell is pretty common here. We stayed one night here and while I booked about a month in advance, somehow the hotel overbooked and we were bumped from a non smoking room to a smoking room. The guy at the front desk, while polite and friendly despite being overworked and short staffed assured us that the maid told him the room doesn't smell. WRONG she must have no nose. the room stunk as soon as we opened the door. We didn't bother complaining as we were told that the hotel was overbooked but if we had been staying longer, or if the smell was overpowering i would have complained. It definitely stunk though and i don't see why i should have been bumped from a non smoking room to smoking especially when i booked well in advance. there is also some biker thing going on so we heard bikes in the parking lot all night. Other then that the hotel is lovely, breakfast was kinda gross but it was free. we don't plan on going back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ErieHomewood, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience imposed during your recent trip to Erie. I appreciate your flexibility as we experienced an abnormal situation. I contacted our front office department in regards to your comments and we are evaluating our policies and procedures during an overbooking situation. In efforts to reduce smoking room odor, our team is actively taking steps to freshen our guestrooms. I appreciate your time in reviewing our hotel and hope you consider staying with us again during your next visit to Erie.
Buffalo
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed here on 7/5-7/7. Hotel is hard to find as it is tucked away behind a mall right next to Rte 79. (Ask for a room that doesn't face the highway - noisy!) Our troubles at this hotel was with the lack of towels. We swam in the indoor pool the evening of 7/5. There were no towels to be found. Used the phone to call the front desk - no answer after many rings. Went to the front desk and asked the gentlemen to send down some towels. Well after about 30 minutes no towels appeared. Went back to the front desk (ugh) to ask again. Finally he brings a bin of small towels to the pool area. Frustrating when you are in a wet bathing suit. Then the next day 7/6 we were out for the whole day at the beach to return to our cleaned room without one towel in the room. I saw the housekeeping cart down the hall and sent my husband to get some towels. Not sure what happened but this hotel needs to either get more towel inventory or else get more washers/dryers. For $150/night I should have to find towels whenever I need them. Mattress in room 408 needs to be replaced too. Seemed old and bumpy. Not sure I would recommend based on this issues. Breakfast was fine and ladies working breakfast were nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't overlook Rte 79.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Big Pine Key, Florida
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We are traveling on a motorcycle and at the end of the day, after 9 or 10 hours on the road, all we want is a meal, some hot water, decent water pressure and a bed. It's really not all that much to ask, is it? We traveled from Virginia to Erie with that in mind. Sometimes we use Hotwire to book a stay and sometimes we just take a chance and stop when we're ready. That was the case here. Little did we know there was some championship LIttle League soccer games going on and hotels were booked. We found the Homewood Suites and were told that they had one room left. It was a smoking room (though we were assured they did a lot of spraying) and they offered it to us for $129, rather than the regular $149 rate. The hotel itself was nice enough, but the smell in the room was DISGUSTING. Sleeping in there was like sleeping in an ashtray. I felt like I had to take an extra shower. They even gave us a bottle of spray to use but it did nothing to help the odor. That was bad enough but when my husband decided to take a shower, we discovered, after he was actually IN the shower, that there were no towels in the room. I called the front desk and got a quick "No problem" (I hate to tell them, but it really WAS a problem) and towels were brought to us pretty quickly. Really? No towels? Like I said, we don't want that much, but a clean room and a towel are important. I thought $129 was a bit much for what we got. I definitely won't recommend Hoomewood Suites to anyone and definitely not a smoking room under any circumstances.

Room Tip: Choose a non-smoking room for sure, and make sure you have towels before you take a shower!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
ErieHomewood, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about our hotel. We apologize for the inconvenient smell and missing towels during your stay. Because travel is very important, we try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future. Lisa Chilson, General Manager
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Our family stayed here for two nights. The hallways were quiet. The rooms were clean. The price was expensive due to a soccer tournament that weekend.

Room Tip: Rooms off of the main hallway were quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
ErieHomewood, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Thanks for the terrific response-we look forward to seeing you again soon.