“The Hype is in the the Name, but why?”
Review of Colao's

Colao's
Ranked #33 of 431 Restaurants in Erie
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Colao's Ristorante serves traditional, authentic Italian cuisine made from recipes that have been passed down through our family for generations. We also offer fresh veal, seafood and steaks, as well as unique nightly entree and appetizer features. We’re known for our uncompromising standards to the highest quality and freshest ingredients, all meals are prepared to order. Check out our extensive wine list featuring 12 premium wines served by the glass. Fresh, ingredients, handmade pasta, ravioli, rum-soaked tiramisu and cannoli!
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My fiance and I went here on the sudden urge to try a restaurant in Erie we hadn't tried before. I knew that it had a reputation as being one of the best in town, so we figured to give it a whirl. It was nice to see that it was open on a Monday just for the fact most locally owned restaurants are not, and they seemed to have a good attendance for the time we went, earlier in the evening. The service was very nice, she was attentive, and was able to give the features without looking at any "cheat sheets"....this makes me wonder how often the specials change, yet we ordered off the menu anyways.
Now for the food...basic. Our crab cakes were undercooked in the middle and burnt on the outside, so flash fried in hot oil was the ticket for them to be "done". We ordered a pasta dish that i thought was a red sauce with egg in it, yet upon delievry I was told the egg was in the white cream sauce. I do not send back food, i know my fault, but I did mention i didn't think it was the dish i ordered, and the server just said the egg was in the sauce. I was surprised. The pasta dish was fine....but nothing to write home about.
Overall, I would go back if need be for someone else to make a reservation there, but personally again...it's on the long list.

3  Thank Stephani K

Reviewed March 22, 2013

It's definitely one of the finer places in Erie, especially for Italian based menu. Great food, good prices for the serving and quality of the meals. Been there five or six times in the past two years, and have never been disappointed. Servers and owner are friendly. A great calm and relaxed atmosphere. Great for dates or business.

3  Thank stello814
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I love this place. Some of the best food on Erie. The Bone-in Ribeye is probably the best steak you can get in this area. It's always perfectly seasoned and cooked to perfection. I also love the Linguine with Clams. Easily the best in town

5  Thank JazzEllas
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Booked for late Valentine's Day celebration. Waitress was attentative and explained the special dishes for that evening. Food service was prompt and presentation wonderful. However it must be noted that the special dishes for the evening have no prices listed...so if you don't want a surprise when the bill comes, you should ask. What I found was, that those items are actually most expensive. Anyway our meal was great and if you want a nice atmosphere (not fast food type), and interesting menu, this is a good place to try.

2  Thank collapserelax
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Most expensive menu entree is $24. My 12oz steak was $36 my glass of house wine was $10. guess I should have asked. Oh yeah my salad was also extra, at $8.

2  Thank Traveleman

Been to Colao's? Share your experiences!