“Decent stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Toledo, Ohio
“Decent stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

I recently returned from a business trip that was in Erie, PA. This Hilton Garden Inn are like most Hilton Garden Inn's that I've stayed in, and that's a good thing. The hotel is conveniently off of I-90 and in proximity to several eateries.

Staff: The staff was great. They allowed me to check in early (very early) and noticed that I did not enter in my Delta SkyMiles number when I booked my room. I didn't know my number off memory, so I had to look it up on my phone, which took about 5 minutes. The lady that was waiting on me was patient and put in my Delta SkyMiles number so that I can get credit. In addition to that, the staff was friendly with their greetings and always asked how my stay has been. One night, I was coming in through the side door with a handful of items in both hands in the pouring rain. One of the employees was in the hallway and noticed that I was reaching for my card; he quickly came to the door and allowed me in. I was able to get my card out to show him that I really am a guest and appreciated that I did that.

Shower: Water was always hot and came out with plenty of pressure.

Room: The room was nice and clean with a microwave, fridge, flat screen television with HD channels, and plenty of lighting. Also, for once, there was a cat5 cable there for internet - something I much rather prefer over wireless because (I at least notice it) the cable connection seems much faster than wireless. Regardless of wired or wireless, the internet is fast and should render your surfing addiction on YouTube just fine,

Due to the amount of time I had to spend at the customer site, I was not able to take advantage of the exercise room, pool, restaurant, or bar.

My only and major complaint about the hotel is that my room did not have curtains that closed all the way. If I wasn't so tired from working, I would've thrown a major fit because my room faced Downs Dr. and all those neon signs and lights went right through the sheer. I hope someone from the hotel reads my reviews and installs curtains that can be closed all the way to darken the room. I ended up taking the hangers with clips on them and clipped the curtains together to block out most of the light. I don't know if this was something that was unique to my room or all rooms. This nuance is the only thing preventing me for giving this a rating of 5 and it's a huge nuance for me. I'm the type that needs a pretty dark room to fall asleep most of the time. If I have to go back to Erie for work, I think I'll give the Courtyard a chance if they allow guests to close the curtains all the way rather than depending on the sheer to block outside lighting. I'm a Hilton Honors member and of all the Hilton family hotels that I've stayed at, this is the only hotel that I've seen that does not allow you to close the curtain all the way.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
Gary S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Erie, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
We are glad to hear so many nice comments about the hotel. Thank you for staying with us. I am so sorry, however, to learn from your evaluation that you were not aware of the black out drapes. Every room has black out drapes that are monted behind the decorative drapes and sheer curtians. Next time you are in town give us another try and I am sure you will have a good experience and a good night's sleep.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Turkish first
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Recently stayed the weekend at the Hilton Garden Inn Erie. The room was immaculate, the customer service was exceptional, and the bed was very comfortable. We experienced a problem with the TV and it was corrected very quickly. The Breakfast Bar was included with the room, and was well-stocked with scrambled eggs, sausage, and home fries. They featured make-your-own waffles, fresh bagels, and a variety of breakfast breads and rolls. We stayed in a two-person jacuzzi room which proved to be a great way to end the day. The hotel is located along I90 and was convenient to downtown Erie, local fishing sites, and the Lake Erie wineries. Would definitely stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again next time you are in Erie.
Mississauga, ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Conveniently located, clean, comfortable and quiet! The room was neat and clean, as to be expected with a Hilton family property. The staff at the desk and in the restaurant we friendly polite and generally pleasant to deal with. The breakfast in the restaurant is worth the price. There was fresh fruit, yogurt and pastries as well as a made to order omelette station. The property is close to the highway and just off a main road which made getting there and getting around quite easy. We had a great weekend and would definitely consider this property again if we are in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lizzie222
Gary S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Erie, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for nice comments you made about our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again in the future.
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Nice clean and quiet rooms. Beds very nice - able to adjust. Close to other dining others, on site breakfast was good-little pricey (has cook to order- so you do have nice breakfast) and opens at 630a making it tight to get to work site - extra30 mins would be awesome(e.g. Open at 6am). - other than that was great place

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your experience with us at the Hilton Garden Inn, Erie, PA. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your suggestion about the breakfast time. We hope to see you again in the future.
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on September 30th, 2012. The hotel sits right off the interstate, but they have invested in very good windows and you literally could not even hear the trucks going by. The room was really nice and very clean. The front desk manager Gary who spoke to us in the morning was super nice. If you can, take the time to enjoy breakfast and meet Ryan from the wait staff and Elizabeth who will cook you the best omelet you've ever had. Two more super people that we met in the morning. We would highly recommend this Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gary S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Erie, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank you for your kind words about our wonderful hotel and hard working staff. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Our cooks and servers make every effort to provide a delicious breakfast (and dinner) for our guests. We hope to see you next time you are in town.
Cape Coral, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Had expedited check-in for conference but hotel staff said upon arrival that room wasn't assigned even though room was paid in full six weeks prior to arrival. Given keys to a room but before got to room staff came and said had other keys and room for us. Room was "upgraded" by hotel from two queen beds ( which were on confirmation email) to one king which was not acceptable to two females who do not sleep together. Called hotel desk said only thing available was a smoking room with two queens which was even less acceptable. Ended up keeping king room and using terrible sofa bed. Would not stay at this hotel again.Plus food was cold in hotel restaurant.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
We do apologize for any inconvenience you experienced by not having your room ready at the time you arrived. Please know that our check in time is 3 PM even for expedited check ins. The hotel was sold out the night before and their check out time was 12 noon. We did have a full staff of housekeepers on that day who worked very hard to clean every room in the hotel between the hours of noon and 3 PM. They did their best with the limitations they had and we were able to have every room ready by 3:30 PM.
Rochester, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Large clean, rooms. Very friendly hotel staff. Delicious cooked to order breakfast for only $11.00.
Plenty of areas to just sit and have a free cup of coffee. The worst part of the weekend trip was the traffic and traveling on the poor Peach Street construction section. What a mess. Impossible to navigate the area and find your destinations such as the restaurants or stores. Not going back to Erie, or at least not Peach Street.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Zimski
Gary S, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Erie, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you for your response. We are please to hear that you enjoyed the hotel. We can definitely understand how frustrating Peach St. is right now because it us under re-construction; however, when the work is done Peach St. will be much easier to navigate. We hope that you will give it a second tray in the future.