“Terrible Fish” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Petra

Petra
Ranked #130 of 401 Restaurants in Erie
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Erie
“Terrible Fish”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

My husband and I have been to Petra's before tonight. We were going to use our fine dining card.
I ordered the white fish special which was served cold and stringy. I could not believe the poor quality of the food. It tasted old like cod that had just been taken out a freezer. Terrible! I didn't know a restaurant on the fine dining card circuit would actually serve old tough cold fish. I will tell family and friends just how terrible this fish was. I would not even give it one star. My husband'd Chilean Seabass did not melt his mouth like Matthew's Trattoria's Chilean Seabass.
His was rubbery and very "fishy" tasting as if it was old. I will never return to this restaurant.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BarbaraErie

Bengaluru, India
“Tasty options”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

Petra has a welcoming décor, something I actually look for in smaller restaurants. We found it very useful to take the staff’s suggestions while choosing from the menu.

The place has a good range of wines with all kinds of reds. We chose Chianti for the occasion and noted that they don’t serve it by the glass.

It was surprising to hear from one in our party that the falafel is not so good here. With one obvious choice not feasible, we tried out the hummus with pita bread served with spices and oil. Followed it up with a hot lentil soup which was more than welcome after the drive in the freak snow-storm-rains outside.

For entrees, it was the tuna with peanut sauce and vegetable kabobs. Both came with servings of rice and Lebanese sauce. The dessert was Balaklava it tasted exactly the way I like it - crisp in parts and overall not too soggy.

Petra offers the prospect of a pleasant evening with tasty options in food and drink.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Edinboro
“My Favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

I grew up in Greece, and the food at Petra's is authentic middle eastern food! For a nice sample, try one of the platters (my favorite is the Petra Platter). My wife usually gets the beef tips and loves the dish. The pace of service is relaxed (just like the Mediterranean), so don't go if you're in a rush. The prices are reasonable.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bob M
Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
“Interesting but miss the BYOB days”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

Nice food and they even have outdoor seating which seems to be missing in many places in Erie. The food is okay but we miss the BYOB days.

Visited May 2011
2 Thank Tex-PA
Erie, Pennsylvania
“MmmMediteranean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

Most savory Dolma ever. Cutely redecorated within the last couple years. Convenient to Presque Isle. I can only speak for the fish dishes, which are invariable perfectly cooked and beautifully balanced, and the vegetarian, which is irresistible from the homos to the dolma and back again.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Halle K

Been to Petra? Share your experiences!