“Just Awful!!!”

Western Inn Downtown
Ranked #37 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Not only is it not up to par, but the staff is just terrible. They lied about the prices to get you to stay, then jacked them up when they know you are in a corner. On both times staying at this property, we called to check the price. When arriving on site, the price magically when up about 15 to 20 dollars. They make up dumb excuses every time why you didn't qualify for the price they gave you before. That is bad enough, but they never give you an receipt. Upon request, they give you one that is so unofficial it's not even funny. It say the price and paid. That's it. Not your name, the date, or anything. I think they are doing something not by the books at this hotel. If that is not bad enough, they are foreign. You can't understand them and they can't understand you, so you can not even describe the problem. I think they use this to their advantage. We made a reservation for two room and they had no record of this, then who took my information and most importantly my credit card number. The hotel room was poor, but stay able. I have stayed at worse. The area is near a busy area so riffraff tend to be around the property. I made the mistake of staying here twice, due to location, but never again. I will go to the hotel a few blocks down.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JKH88

Reviewed November 1, 2011

We states here for four days, while attending a convention in the area. The counter staff was rude, the room was way less than clean and the location was pretty bad as well. No ice machine although they left us an ice bucket. No tub stop. Housekeeping didn't visit the room the entire time and when I mentioned it to the front desk, he insisted we had asked for her not to. We never did. He did nothing to try to rectify the situation and didn't even offer sp much as an apology for it. He blamed us instead! Tried overcharging me for a night as well, and it took some debate and proving to him that we weren't even in town the day he said we checked in, to get it off of our bill. Horrible! Would never stay again!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank vertigo1983
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The hotel was not up to par - didn't have the rooms we had a confirmation for nor were any non-smoking which also was on the confirmation.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank donnagk
Reviewed August 20, 2011

All of the bad reviews are true. This was booked as a secret hotel from Travelocity--you don't know the name until paid for--no refunds. Travelocity or any other website should be ashamed to offer this under the secret hotel purhcase option. I would not let my dog stay here. Green pool, shady looking characters all over the property. The outside of the property was in need of repair and you could smell the musty rooms as you walked by them. We never actually made it inside of a room. We found room 120. We ignored the do not disturb sign on the door thinking it was a mistake. When we opened the door we saw a complete mess. Blankets balled up on bed etc. We never even entered the room. Obviously the room was occupied. We went to front desk and asked for a refund. The desk clerk denied and argued that the room was fine. He refused to even go check the room. We left quickly. Travelocity did refund my card. However, this was a horrible experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Rhonda012
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I made reservations for this motel July 23rd through AAA website. Upon arrival, my family and I pulled into a very run down motel. I talked my family into giving it a try since we would have to pay for one night's stay if we cancelled our reservations at this late notice. My husband and I went to the service desk to check in. Only to find out they did not have any information on a reservation in our name. They were still able to provide us with the room that we had reserved. While walking through the parking lot my husband noticed that the pool was green. Which was a disappointment since we planned on swimming that evening. My children informed us that they were being stared down by other patrons and employees while we were getting the room. Which made them feel very uncomfortable. The room was very dirty. The tub was dirty. There was black mold in the grout and on the ceiling in the bathroom. Various lights in the room did not work. The phone was not plugged in. When I called the service desk to request more towels no one answered the phone. I went online and began to read other reviews from tripadvisor which confirmed our decision we were not staying there. When we informed the staff at the desk that we were not staying there and why there was no reaction of concern as to why we were dissatisfied. He ran our card through the machine again and supposedly refunded our money. We are still waiting for the transactions to go through our checking account. I plan on calling the customer service line for the Knights Inn next. Don't "give it a try" despite the appearance of the grounds. The impression of the outside is your first clue.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank BurghTraveler6769
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Booked online, showed up, outside of facility was really bad. Peeling paint, rust, large group of loud people drinking beer in parking lot, and then a big flashy hummer comes in blasting rap music....

Surprised they can keep the franchise.

Felt unsafe. Left and never checked in.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Very scared to stay here. Neighborhood was good but hotel was a piece of SH__. Worst place I have ever been. Mold every were walls, fridge, lamp shades, tub.The ceiling looked like it had leaked not long ago, there were leak marks on it. The bathroom smelled liked arm pits even after the maid cleaned it. The smell of the water that came out of the bathroom sink smelled like old wet clothes. The maid was rude. The pool is very small and they don't use chlorine in it , the water was cloudy. The mattresses were so old they dam near touched the floor when you sat on them, very squecky. I will NEVER EVER stay there again. Oh yeah and the pictures someone posted on here the rooms are way worse than that.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.