“Overpriced underwhelmed”

Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
“Overpriced underwhelmed”
Reviewed February 25, 2011

This small French bistro is a certainly better than perkins but the food is boring. The portions are large, perhaps to make up for the lack of quality. Try the Thai place down the street (also on Perry Square) instead.

• Visited February 2011
1 Thank alonzo52607

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Everything was perfect, great service, ambience, and the food was fantastic. We went on a weeknight and took our friends from Philly. They loved the meal and called the place a real find and a gem. I think that says it all. They were very impressed and they are hard to impress having spent time in Paris and all over this country and are quite the foodies. Each meal was prepared and presented beautifully. Thanks Chef Bertrand for the excellent meal!

• Visited February 2011
1 Thank hkloveslife
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Still, my favorite place in Erie”
Reviewed January 6, 2011

More dignified restaurants are popping up in Erie FINALLY..Although Olive Garden is still packed every week!! Go figure...
Bertrand's is still my favorite of them all. The staff is always professional and friendly, the food is always great (Tournedos Rossini is my favorite), and the price is right for the quantity and quality of the food.
Great beer and wine list, and I love the new Bar Menu. I've been a fan since it opened and am thrilled that we still have Bertrand's in Erie!!!!

• Visited December 2010
2 Thank gina7167
Fredericton, Canada
“Should have a higher quality culinary execution for the price”
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I have eaten at Bertrand’s on four occasions. Each time I go, I hope that it will be a treat to my sense of taste. I want to support local restaurants. Also, I like the restaurant location, right on Perry Square, a nice place to dine outdoors on a summer evening.

However, the meals have not lived up to the expectations that I have for culinary adeptness. The most recent occasion when I dined at Bertrand’s was this summer. I ordered the chef’s special of pan-fried, soft-shell crab. The crab itself was delicious. However, the two sides that accompanied the main course were disappointing. A fried dish like soft-shell crab should have some lighter, non-oily accompaniments. The two sides that came with the meal were pan-fried potatoes and also (heavily oiled) sautéed vegetables. I had asked about rice as a side, but there was no rice in the house that night. The vegetable accompaniment should have been either a vinegared, raw veggie side or a lightly cooked, non-oily vegetable accompaniment.

Chefs should focus on balance in terms of flavors and nutrients. Fat has a strong effect on the body. Too much oil in a meal makes the food difficult to digest.

At the recent meal, I ordered the blueberry clafouti for desert, which I boxed to go. The oily main meal had made my stomach too bloated to eat desert there. The clafouti was excellent, though, when I ate it later.

Another objection: In a previous meal at Bertrand’s, the only salad dressings they had were commercial bottled dressings, no house dressings. This is unacceptable at an upscale restaurant, given how easy salad dressings are to make from scratch. Also, in previous meals, I have found that though the main protein has an adequate serving size, the vegetable sides were very small.

The friend who accompanied me to this most recent meal at Bertrand’s enjoyed her salmon, but her side dishes were oily as well. I enjoyed the softshell crabs, but I have had better “total” meals at other upscale restaurants, with no residual heavy stomach.

2 Thank EarthHeals
St. Augustine, Florida
“Best meal out in ages - and right here at home!”
Reviewed September 11, 2010

We're longtime locals but previously lived in Europe for many years ..we're familiar with French bistro cuisine, creperies, etc. We'd had good meals at Bertrand's on several occasions over the years, but on the last a few years ago, we were underwhelmed and did not try again until tonight. What an imrovement! Decor much cosier, much better ambiance all round. And the food...excellent. Extensive wine choices, something on the menu to please everyone from meat-and-potatoes folks to gastronomes. Enjoyed a memorable dinner - the only slight rub was that the pommes frites were not hot and crisp enough (and had we said something I am quite certain it would have been rectified) - everything else was superb. Desserts flawless and made in-house.

We are much encouraged, since many non-chain restaurants tend to come and go in our area, starting out with a bang and subsequently (and with few exceptions) fizzling into mediocrity and/or extinction. This seems to occur largely because of the economy and/or because someone gets greedy and starts downgrading product, nickel-and-diming the public till they realise they're being, well, nickel-and-dimed. Bertrand's has stood the test of time and, I can happily report, is better than ever. For some locals, the prices may seem "special occasion only" but actually are a bargain compared not only to, say, their NYC counterparts, but to other "high-end" Erie establishments as well (we did the math). For a meal I did not cook myself, I can say with all honesty, "Great value for money, and a great tasting experience."

1 Thank singsgood