“Looks nice, but not impressed”

Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Erie
GreenLeadersGold level
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Looks nice, but not impressed”
Reviewed October 11, 2010

The hotel is beautiful inside and outside...but aesthetics don't make up for lack of amenities and quiet. My room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. For the price though, you'd think you could get free internet in your room (they charge $10 a day - ridiculous!), a free breakfast, and a newspaper. Even cheap motels offer free WiFi. I had no refrigerator, something the website boasts in its list of amenities, and no chair either. I am not a picky person, and I didn't really need these things anyway, but if they're listed on the website they should be in the room. The worst thing was the noise. I could hear the people in the rooms on either side of me, and not just muffled noise. I could hear their phone conversations, snoring, and every word of everything they were watching on TV. I could also hear what sounded like dishes clattering constantly. I was on the 7th floor, so I'm not sure what was above me (club level?), but there is a lack of sound proofing in the walls - something I didn't expect in a place as prestigious as a Sheraton. As others said, there are no drawers, and the bathroom doors are poorly designed and leave no space between the door and the toilet when opened. I'm just glad I was there for business so I didn't have to pay for the room myself. Like I said, I'm not a picky person, I just didn't feel that the hotel lived up to the hype or the price. Looks are deceiving.

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank jayaymax

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Even though it rained the entire stay, the bay/lake view was stunning! Nice hotel, a little pricey. Great sleep, excellent food, friendly & courteous staff.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Long Island, NY
Reviewed October 1, 2010

If you're willing to pay extra for a great view of the lake and that's all you want then this is the place for you. Otherwise there are much better places with a better bang for your buck.

Upon check in they attempted to charge the credit card an additional $100 per night "In case I did something to the room". So if you're there for a week that's $700 held on your card. There isn't $700 worth of damage you can possibly do to the room even if you're the worst drugged out rock band in the world! Plus they get you for $12 a day parking.

For a new hotel this facility is lacking in several areas.

1. Room looks like any generic hotel room. For over $200 a night I expect more than gold wallpaper, a tattered lamp and a broken desk chair. Very noisy housekeeping staff early on weekend mornings. Should be more considerate to the guests. Knocking on doors for cleaning at 8am on a Sat. is unacceptable.

2. Bed and pillows were not nearly as comfortable as the W or other hotels in this chain.

3. Low quality towels and amenities in a small bathroom with shower only.

4. Restaurant is far too small to accommodate the guests. I had to wait 10 minutes at 9am on a Saturday morning when there were only 3 tables occupied but the staff needed time to "catch up". It's really more of a lounge area than a proper restaurant. There was a wedding in the banquet room the night before and people were told to go find another place to have breakfast because they could not accommodate large parties. If you're in town for an even with no car and no way to get anywhere else what are you supposed to do?

5. Called at 8am for extra towels. No answer. Had to get dressed and go down to the front desk to place my request.

6. Strange plastic was taped onto the rug just outside the elevator on my floor which i caught my foot on and tripped.

7. $14.95 for a breakfast "buffet" that consisted of scrambled eggs bacon and potatoes. Make your own toast, a few frozen danishes and if you were lucky some fruit. Certainly not worth the money and the food was mediocre at best. I've had far better buffets at other hotels that offer omelet stations, fresh baked goods and more for the same $.

Bottom line is great location but I wouldn't stay there again. And from what I overheard from other guests many people felt the same way.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank radiochick55
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I have to admit, we agonized over where to stay in Erie when we visited recently for our son's soccer tournament. The location of the Sheraton and its extra half-star rating are what attracted us. Though we soon discovered that we'd chosen the hotel farthest away from the soccer fields, we were still pleased with our choice. The lake-side location is gorgeous - and even though we couldn't book a lake-view room, our 8th-floor room overlooking the marina to the south was just as rewarding. Our room (a double-queen) was great looking and large enough for our family of four. It was clean and the beds were comfy, though the pillows might need to be replaced soon (they've all but lost their ooomph). Our kids loved the flavoured water on offer in the hotel foyer, and my husband and I appreciated the robust Starbucks coffee available in our room and in a large thermal container just outside the hotel restaurant. The in-house Bayfront Grille (an attractive option given the hotel's distance from reputable restaurants) has a great view of the lake and the state park, and very decent food (we ate 2 breakfasts and 2 dinners there). One disappointing feature for our kids was the pool, which is remarkably small and shallow. I've never know them to refuse a swim, but they chose to forgo it this time. On a more positive note, the exercise room is splendid: it's very well equipped, and has the same terrific view as the Grille. Previous posters have complained about the front-desk staff, but we found them to be friendly and accommodating. We know that we'll be back in Erie for future sporting events, and we won't hesitate the next time. We'll stay at the Sheraton again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank torontofour
Chicago Illinois
Reviewed September 15, 2010

My mom, sister-in-law and I stayed one night September 11. We walked in for a rate of $209.00 a night for 2 double beds, plus $12 for parking and $22 in taxes. For that amount, I expected 3 glasses and cups in the room, not just 2 as were provided. When I called, I was told housekeeping would bring them up. After one hour, I walked to the front desk. "Alex" told me he could not give me a glass, but handed me a styrofoam cup and 2 creams when I asked for extra cream for our morning coffee (the room included 2). He also told me I was mistaken, and extra glasses were in the room. I went back to the room, checked again, and called when it was obvious none were available. Alex stated he would send one up. 45 minutes later housekeeping handed me a styrofoam cup.
Really? For over $200 I can't get a real glass?
Overall, the room is attractive, the location is perfect, and it is affordable if you try to catch an Expedia rate. Unfortunately, we had AAA, but were told that only applies if you call ahead, not walk in. (?) So, a word to the wise, call from the parking lot and save $20.
Our room was 316, which happened to be outside the ice machine and elevator bay. After the bar closed, there were several men and women singing and laughing in the halls after 3, which isn't the hotel's fault, but you may want to not have this room if you are a light sleeper.
We did have a beautiful view, albeit with many bugs/webs outside that may bother some who would expect a clean window. I'm sure the maintenance on this is hard to keep up, but other hotels do it, so if Sheraton wants to charge the higher prices, they'll have to keep it up.
As an aside, the Far East side has wonderful wineries and even the air smells like concord grapes. Be sure to take this side trip!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Enjoylife46
Ontario
Reviewed September 4, 2010

Great hotel, we didn't have any problems with the staff very friendly. The room was great and the view of the lake. The only problem was the spiders, they need to clean the lights in the garage where the guests must park. Every light was full of spider webs and spiders on the lights and every corner of the parking lot, when you get the car you had to check that they weren't on the car or had made a web to the car. Also at the benches on the main enterance there was spiders. Many of the guests where talking about it. The other item was the guests are charged for parking to their attach garage which I think is not right when you are paying that much money for a hotel room.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
npark1961, Manager at Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2010
Thank you for staying with us at the Sheraton Erie Bayfront hotel. I understand there are many hotel options to choose from and we are so grateful for your visit. Our hotel views of Lake Erie and Presque Isle are magnificient and the best in the Erie area.
I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered with the exterior of the property and in our parking garage. This is unusual for Erie and due to our warmer than average summer, we have experienced this more than usual. We have been and will continue working with a local company for attempts to control this. With Fall around the corner, this will improve dramatically in the coming days and weeks ahead as our fall foilage begins to dramatically change colors.
Again, thank you for staying with us. It is our hope that we will see you again as you visit the Erie area and the waterside Sheraton Erie Bayfront.

Nathan Park
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 1, 2010

We stayed in the sheraton in aug of 2010 and. We thought that that hotel was BEAUTIFUL! We stayed in room 705 and it was very very clean. We walked in ourroom and we were shocked.We also ate in the 2 restraunts in the hotel and they were great we needed directions and the front desk printed them for us. Employes were helpful.Our view was awesome.Pool was great!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family