“Beautiful Hotel Setting in Erie”

Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Erie
GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia
“Beautiful Hotel Setting in Erie”
Reviewed July 12, 2010

My wife and I stayed here on Saturday night, July 10, after a wedding. Check-in was easy at 3:30PM and the room was very nice. Beds were plush, there was a flat screen TV, and the bathroom was nice. The room also had a Bose clock / radio. We were on the concierge floor, but there was no service on the weekend (I didn't pay anything extra). Before the reception, we toured the hotel. The bar / restaurant area was very nice. There is an outside patio with food / drink service right on the bay. The indoor pool looked nice and there was a dedicated outdoor patio. The fitness room was very nice - I'm a fan of fitness rooms. There were several treadmills / ellipticals with bay views, a pulley / weight system and dumbbells up to 50 lbs. It seemed more like a work-out studio since it was open and bright. The hotel was very quiet at night and we had a good sleep. Check-out was easy the next day. I wanted to eat breakfast at the outdoor patio, but we opted to begin our long car ride home. As usual with full service hotels, there was no complimentary breakfast, coffee, or Wifi. Parking was $10/night. Our rate was only slightly higher than the mid-level (2.5 star) hotel we stayed at the previous night, which was near the highway. The Sheraton is not a "value" hotel, but in my opinion it is worth the premium. I wish we had more time to spend at the hotel.
Don't miss Presque Isle State Park if you visit in the summer.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 7, 2010

I visited Erie for a reunion and stayed for two nights at the Sheraton on the Bay. The room was impecably clean and the water view of the marina reminded me of my sailing days. Breakfast on the water was scenic with boats motoring or sailing by. The server poured a steady stream of delicious coffee as I enjoyed the view. The polite staff answered all my questions. I loved the fruit-flavored water and the decor of the entrance way. The bar and dining room made me feel like I never wanted to leave. What a delightful experience! I noticed the guests of the hotel wore happy faces amid this beautiful and aromatic surroundings. I will be back next summer.

• Stayed July 2010
Fredonia, New York
Reviewed July 6, 2010

I stayed at the Bayfront Sheraton on July 4th for a wedding in the area and I have to say that it blew my mind... I'm surprised the toilet paper didn't have a price tag. You had to pay for phone calls from the room, pay for hotel parking, there wasn't even a continental breakfast and one of the lamps in my room was dangling with exposed wires. This was definitely not worth the money and there are much better places to stay. I guess people will pay anything to be close to the water.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mynamesedwin
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 23, 2010

My family booked this hotel a month in advance for a family wedding, and when we arrived they did not have the correct rooms for my brother & sister in law, they could not find our reservation. My cousin and husband had to sit at the bar for 1 1/2 hrs before they got there room which was also booked ahead. .They did not give us ajoining rooms which I requested and in the morning we all missed breakfast together because the phones where not working, and no one could communicate with on another. When I went to check out they said I oued $320 for two nights, which I just stayed one night, they still did not have me booked correctly. When I got home they had a hold on my checking account for $625.00, which was finally released 4 days later after much aggravation. My mother left her suit coat in room which has still not shown up. I would say the entire problem revolved around reservation staff which is out of New England. The right hand did not know what the left hand was doing.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank marilynmonroe18
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Our room was a deluxe bay view, the room had a wonderful view, the bathroom did not have a vent in it so when you showered it was all steamed up and if you like hot showers you couldn't breath. You got one little bar of soap and the rug was dirty, stained. It is a pet friendly motel where they place you on the 3rd floor, my elderly dog hated the elevator so had to walk my arthritis dog us 3 flights of steps although I paid a $50 non refundable fee. We take care of our pet and respect our surroundings, when asked where do you take your pet to relieve themselves, they didn't know. The internet is not free, it is if you belong to a special club. The local calls are $1.00 plus an extra charge if over 60 minutes. Had to call to front desk 3 times for a bar of soap. It is close to the beach and restaurants, If looking for a good breakfast go to Dominics in the little town. Dinner at the Sheraton was really good, service could have been better, the waiter went on and on to try to educate us on the ingredients of your meal whereas the time should be spent on asking if you need anything else which we waiting for quit awhile for our cocktails then charged us twice, a shot of hennesy is $12.00 and the mosquites were biting us like crazy as we had dinner on the patio with view of the bay, you would think that the outside area would be sprayed for bugs. All in all, if your looking a wonderful view of the bay, this place was great, the staff did not seem to be very knowledgeable about much. The beds were comfortable. Close to the lighthouse, fee for riding the elevator. The Cove bar is not part of the Sheraton where they have outside partying with kareoke, and the biggest gripe is that although the parking garage is attached to the Sheraton, you have to pay to park. You can pay as you go or pay a one time daily fee of $12.00 charged to your room.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed June 20, 2010

A beautiful new building in a geographically exceptional area is being ruined by a staff that does not understand the concept of helping a guest. During each of the three phone calls I made to reserve a room I was treated with unwarranted malcontent and an unwillingness to work with a potential customer. I literally spoke with three individuals on three different occasions while attempting to make a reservation. I was treated to mumbles, grumbles, contradicting information and simple resentment toward a phone call. While staying in the hotel, I have never waited longer for service. Shockingly it was equally rude face-to-face. I hope someone dismisses the management and staff. Start from scratch!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank constantraveler44122
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed June 9, 2010

I travel 300 days out of the year and was pleased to find out I was making a stop in Erie because I absolutely adore the area. I was also excited because for once I could stay somewhere else other than the busy commercial district located very far from the city and water.

Upon arrival I waited the longest 5 minutes of my life waiting for the girl at the front desk to complete her personal call on her cell phone. She was very huffy by the time the call ended and proceeded to take it out on me (i.e. tossing pens, being very short with me, annoyed with any additional questions I had). I remained positive while she very obviously could not wait for me to leave her alone so she may get back on her cell phone. I didn't get a "Have a nice stay!" or "let me know if you need anything!" As soon as she was done with me, she walked to the area behind the counter and started dialing...

Really? Are you kidding me? I was blown away. Obviously enough to never stay here again and write this right now. I hope she is replaced ASAP. I have received better hospitality at $30/night rooms that I have had the unfortunate pleasure of being stuck with. Unreal.

Overall, room very modern and different from the regular boring hotel layout. Very quiet. I read other reviews from people angry about the parking and internet rates, but c'mon people. This hotel is obviously for the business person using their Corporate AMEX not for you and your 2-year-old grandson.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business