“Great Value and wonderful stay!”

Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Erie
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Great Value and wonderful stay!”
Reviewed May 27, 2010

We stayed at the Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel on Airmile points so it was even better value for us but I would pay to stay here the next time. The hotel service was excellent, we got lucky and got to stay on the Club Level which included free internet use, free breakfast and a nice sitting area just for our floor. Our room was clean and tastefully decorated with a spectacular view. The lovely lady who worked on the Club Level I believe her name was Terry was absolutely amazing! My usually shy 4 year old daughter warmed up to her right away and Terry even remembered to bring her chocolate milk for her breakfast the following morning. The only drawback to this hotel is that is it a little out of the way from shopping or restaurants. We were exhausted one evening and wanted to order some food but no one delivered to the hotel. We ended up going to The Cove which is the restaurant connected to the hotel it was not very good, I ordered pasta and got penne with ragu sauce for $12.00. I don't believe the restaurant is a part of the hotel so I can't blame them for that. I would totally recommend anyone to stay at this hotel. We had a great vacation!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Ontario
Reviewed May 27, 2010

Nearing the end of the a long road trip, we decided to treat ourselves to this beautiful hotel located on Erie's waterfront. We arrived after an 8 hour drive to find the registration clerk engrossed in conversation with another staffer. After a couple of minutes, someone appeared to check us in.
We had a beautiful furnished and spacious room which offered us a view of the marina and shoreline (we had decided not to pay the $20 premium for a lake view). We also did not use the $11/day Internet access. It is hard to believe that in 2010, hotels want to charge 25 to 50% of a month's fees for a land connection or a mobile stick. And, no, wireless access in the lobby is not helpful if I want to do email at 6 am.
Exhausted, we wanted a quiet dinner and some sleep.
The hotel has a bright, airy restaurant facing the lake and an ambitious menu. We ordered one of the hotel's specialty drinks and after 15 minutes were told that the bar was out of one of the non-alcoholic ingredients. We placed a second order and waited another ten minutes for it and placed our food order. Finally a basket of bread appeared and, after a further fifteen minutes, our dinner. During this entire period there appeared to be more servers than patrons. The customer service process appeared to be completely unmanaged.
By comparison, we enjoyed a wonderful breakfast in the same hotel. The servers were responsive. We were never out of coffee and the food appeared promptly and hot.
On checkout we realized that our Starwood number, despite being part of the original reservation, had not been carried through at check in. We were able to get the points added but, as a Gold member, we wondered if we had been denied a possible upgrade.
We then went and paid the $10 to obtain our car from the parking garage. I can understand separate charges for parking in Manhattan where real estate is expensive and not everyone drives. I do not understand why in Erie, Pennsylvania modest charges cannot be included in the room rate.
I am happy to pay for value received but I do not like being nickeled and dimed!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank RoadCenturion
Niagara Falls
Reviewed May 17, 2010

Being a very regular visitor to Erie for 15+ years(2-4 times a year) , it was great to finally stay in a hotel away from Peach st. However , that said everything is on Peach st , so you are travelling for restaurants ,shopping etc.The hotel is very nice although lacking some basic amenities, in room fridge(we asked none available), in room safe (lobby safe only), pay to park we were charged $12 per day in Erie??? No dresser drawers for your clothes, great idea to check-out via in room TV (not available).Overall a very nice stay for a short stay.
We will be back , as long as they keep the youngsters away ( teams) really spoil your stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed March 14, 2010

This a great Sheraton! Fairly new with comfortable rooms and great views. The hotel was clean and so was the room. Great staff. Breakfast was great . Book this property with confidence. If I ever go back to Erie, the Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel will be my choice.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank J9257
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 6, 2010

Spent a week in Erie for business and was fortunate that the Sheraton was available with a government rate--but it was winter so supply and demand. I stayed in a club level room so had the extra amenities of free wireless, breakfast buffet with some hot items and evening snacks with great desserts each evening. I had a view of the lake and nice amenities in the room, even Starbucks coffee selections which I enjoyed each morning. Parking is $10 per day and can be charged directly to room (just let the front desk validate). I appreciated the parking garage since it was winter and snowing during my trip. Since I was working in downtown, this hotel was the best location for me. Enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Annapolis
Reviewed January 18, 2010

I always like staying in newer hotels because I can usually rely on them to be clean and updated; such was the case with this hotel. The bathroom was quite large with modern touches. The room size was decent, not huge, but plenty for just myself. I appreciated the view of the bay - who knew Erie had a bayfront? Hotel was quiet and clean.

When I arrived to check in, I stood in front of the front fesk for a solid minute while I watched 2 desk staff shoot the breeze and laugh at each other. Needless to say, after a day of delayed flights and client meetings I was not thrilled to stand there and wait. The staff member who assisted me on check out, however, was very sweet and friendly.

Yes you do have to pay for parking, which I was not a huge fan of, but at least the car is in a garage for when the weather is bad.

Hotel is decent, dont expect to be "wowed" but my father in law is a local and he says this is the nicest hotel in the area, and if I am back in the area, I will return again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
michael1777, General Manager at Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2010
Thank you for the comments on the Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel. Please allow me to apologize for the less the excellent arrival experience that you had during your January visit. I have shared your comments with my team and made them aware of the need to focus on our guests an not conduct small talk at the desk when guests are checking in or out.
We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to Erie.
Sincerely
Michael Moros
Maryland
Reviewed January 9, 2010

The cost for this hotel is extremely expensive compared to other hotels in Erie, PA. We have relatives in Erie and have stayed at other hotels for much less. Be aware about the undisclosed parking charge and high taxes. Overall the hotel is in good shape and you don't have to be afraid of booking with them. The rooms are spacious and the cleanliness is fairly good. The location is very good. Read on for details.

The parking situation is horrible. First of all, to charge $10/night for parking in Erie, PA is out of line. It's Erie not NYC. The charge is excessive and that there is no protected walkway between the hotel and garage is insulting. We had to walk in snow that was over three inches deep multiple times. I understand that it snows in Erie, but the hotel didn't clear a path to walk on. The Front Desk personnel explained that Sheraton didn't own the garage and that Sheraton was thinking about putting in a protected walkway. To build a hotel in Erie, PA without parking and without a viable walkway during bad weather is dim-witted! By the way, the parking charge came as a total surprise to us. The 1-800 reservation agent never told us about the fee, and we couldn’t find the charge described on any of the Sheraton websites. One hundred dollars a night, pus $15 per night for taxes, plus $10 per night for parking is extremely expensive for Erie, PA in the middle of the winter.

The pool area was very clean, but the drainage around the pool (sitting area) was nonexistent. I had to pile up six towels so that I wasn't sitting in a pool of water around my chair, and my chair was just to the right of a drain. The slope of the floor made the water pool instead of going into the drain. The exercise room was clean and nicely appointed.

My bathroom had a lot of dust in it. I told the front desk about two specific areas of dust in the bathroom. Housekeeping cleaned one of the areas and didn't dust the whole bathroom. Therefore, there was black dust on the air vent and molding around the floor. They are not paying attention to details. For a new hotel, that is a bad trend.

The rug in our room was very clearly damaged. You could see the damage upon entering the room. To repair the damage required a simple pair of scissors to trim several four-inch long pulls in the carpet. I don't understand why I had to bring this repair to the attention of the front desk. It makes me wonder if management doesn't trust their housekeeping staff with scissors, or their housekeeping staff is poorly trained and unmotivated.

The front desk personnel were excellent. They were friendly and quick to serve. Very good job hiring and training!

The layout and décor of the hotel is very nice. The rooms were of good size. The linens were plush. I would suggest that the Sheraton move the desk away from the window so that people could have a better view of the bay. My husband wanted a dresser with drawers to put his clothes in, but there was none. It appears that our room was very oriented toward the business traveler that was staying only one or two nights. The room was not really family friendly.

The hotel is totally non-smoking. That was a major reason why we stayed at the Sheraton. We have had unpleasant experiences with smoking at other Erie hotels. It was very enjoyable to enter a facility that never was exposed to smoke.

As far as the restaurant goes, we didn’t even try to use it. “Airline Chicken” (their title, not ours) was $20 and the prices went up from there. You can check out the menu on line at Sheraton.com. If you want to eat there be prepared to put out at least $30 per person - not family friendly. There are enough restaurants in Erie where good food is not expensive. Try Syd’s, Joe Roots & Vocelli’s Pizza for locally owned. Erie also has the usually chain restaurants like IHOP, Golden Corral, Ruby Tuesdays and Outback for starters.

Overall I would recommend the hotel, just be aware of how expensive it can be, especially for families.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family