“Exceeded Expectations”

Historic Smithton Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Ephrata B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 15, 2010

Living in Manhattan, I had come to a point where I needed a refuge from stress, noise, chaos while still being able to maintain some standard of quality and comfort. Having been to Lancaster Co./Amish area once before, I knew that fresh air would be forthcoming, but what about a comfortable bed and delicious breakfast? Let me be succinct in stating why I've decided to take the time to write this review of Smithton Inn in Ephrata Pa:
1. THE INNKEEPER (Rebecca), when I spoke to her on the phone, immediately put me at ease by her enthusiasm which far exceeded any feeling of officiousness. We all know this is a business for profit, but we cling to the hope that we can still feel relaxed and WELCOME upon arrival, and this I felt.
2. THE INN. It is GORGEOUS. All the antiques are AUTHENTIC, it's not some hokey recreation. The beds are supremely comfortable (tempur pedic just like I have at home), the towels thick, the water pressure high, wide screen TVs, WORKING fireplaces. Do I REALLY need to continue? I had a fire burning all evening, as well as an IN ROOM massage. All this while keeping in tact the feeling of being liberated from the city and immersed into a relaxing Pa town with Amish roots.
3. BREAKFAST. Rebecca loves cooking, and as I saw my reservation go from one day to two to three, I will say that the thought of getting up from my comfortable bed was made easier by knowing that chicken hash with poached eggs, raspberry pancakes, asparagus and cheese quiche were waiting for me. She actually SEASONS her food as I would, I remember thinking that were I to criticize it would be that some guests might find this not to their taste, especially if they prefer eggos for breakfast but for me, someone who uses herbs and spices, it was a pleasure. SAGE in my hash! Of COURSE!
4. PRICE. Prices are bargains, that's all there is to say. I'm not rich nor poor, but it's within my price range and I'll be back as soon as I need another does of R and R, and that will be SOON.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed May 11, 2010

We just returned from a weekend at the Smithton Inn with a group of friends. This is a must see B & B. The building is very colonial and well decorated. Existing Post and Beams are preserved and the ambiance is very "period". The hospitality is very warm and friendly and a wonderful breakfast was had and cooked by the owner, both mornings. Rebecca is a wonderful host and cook! The rooms are very spacious and well decorated, not to mention VERY comfortable. Each room has it's own heat pump which is new and very quiet. Complementary coffee/tea and cookies around the clock. I would highly recommend this wonderful B & B experience, and we hope to return again soon! On a scale of 1-10, this is a 9.5.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 9, 2010

I simply cannot say enough about the Smithton Inn. From the moment you step through the front door you will feel at home. The guest rooms are all tastefully appointed and you can't go wrong no matter which room you select. We stayed in the Red room and loved it. Make sure to spend time in the public rooms too and browse through the books in the library. What really makes this inn stand out from any other in the area though is the innkeepers Rebecca and Dave. They are wonderful people. They will share the history of the inn and the area and can make great recommendations about everything to see and do in the area. The inn is at a great spot to visit everything in the area. It is conveniently located and is perfect if you are in the area for antique hunting or a visit to the Ephrata Cloister. There are great restaurants nearby too. Oh and I can't forget to mention the delicious breakfasts you will experience at the inn and Lucky the dog who will be your new best friend. So if you are looking for a great retreat in Lancaster County look no further than the Smithton.

Reviewed May 3, 2010

My boyfriend and I chose the Smithton Inn based on the ammenities offered in the rooms and some of the reviews we had read. This was our first time ever staying at a Bed & Breakfast so we weren't quite sure what to expect. It felt just like staying the weekend with old friends. We were going to be in town for a wedding and decided to go with a Bed & Breakfast instead of a hotel because we wanted a nice homely feel and we certainly got what we came for. Our hostess was very friendly and an excellent cook. She was very accomodating and offered a variety of freshly baked home made goods. We stayed in the Purple Room (Guest Room 6) and it was absolutely gorgeous. It had the nice historic feel a B&B should have but with plenty of wonderful modern ammenities including a jacuzzi tub and a flat screen t.v. with a dvd player. They also offered complimentary aroma therapy oils for the jacuzzi tub as well as a nice tray of goodies in the room. The king sized bed was just perfect not to firm and not too soft. The pillows were also very nice and the linens were clean and smelled like fresh laundry. We would definitely love to visit again for no other reason than to just relax. With the room being at such a great price it should be no problem to enjoy a weekend getaway every so often at the Smithton Inn.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2010

We stayed for 4 nights at the Smithton. We were greeted by Rebecca and the housekeeper (Judy) both of whom were very welcoming and had a wealth of information about the area and the house itself.
Knowing that Rebecca and her husband had only taken over the Inn less than a year ago, we were amazed at what had been achieved. The place is sensitively and beautifully decorated, using antiques and Amish quilts in rooms each with a distinct colour scheme. Somehow the plasma tvs in the rooms didn't spoil the ambience (and a terrific collection of DVDs to choose from.
Breakfasts were very tasty, with home made granola, home made yoghurts and fruit salads and bread, as well as a main dish - plus cakes which were a bit sweet for our European taste. We di enjoy the quiche and the Strada.
We would thoroughly recomend the Smithton Inn

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2010

We recently spent a Saturday night at the Smithton and had a great experience. The innkeepers, Rebecca and Dave, were nothing short of enthusiastic about making guests feel welcome and at home.

After a hectic day of traveling and visiting local wineries, it was great to get back to the Smithton and stretch out on our very comfortable bed for some late afternoon quiet time. Early in the evening wine and cheese were provided along with some pre-dinner socializing. Sunday’s breakfast was plentiful and satisfying.

The owners have demonstrated excellent taste and attention to detail in bringing the venerable inn back to life. They’ve achieved a cozy, comfortable balance between historic charm and modern amenities.

At the Smithton, hospitality doesn’t end at the property line. The innkeepers are able and willing to provide you with insider’s information on the best things to do and see. They obtained our wine tour tickets and a suggested route for us, as well as made an excellent suggestion (and reservations) for our Saturday night meal.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 29, 2010

My husband and I like to try different B & B's for a quick week-end away. The Smithton Inn was a great choice. The room (purple room) was very roomy, with a larger bed, fireplace and whirlpool tub. The Innkeepers were very nice and were well informed about the area. We enjoyed the conversations with Rebecca and Dave and getting a few hints about so many things to do. And of course the breakfasts were fabulous. Rebecca did a wonderful job of making and presenting the breakfasts. It is a recommended place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ephrata
Hampton Inn & Suites Ephrata - Mountain Springs
#1 of 1 in Terre Hill
Brownstone Colonial Inn
Brownstone Colonial Inn
#1 of 3 in Reinholds

Been to Historic Smithton Inn? Share your experiences!