Living in Manhattan, I had come to a point where I needed a refuge from stress, noise, chaos while still being able to maintain some standard of quality and comfort. Having been to Lancaster Co./Amish area once before, I knew that fresh air would be forthcoming, but what about a comfortable bed and delicious breakfast? Let me be succinct in stating why I've decided to take the time to write this review of Smithton Inn in Ephrata Pa:
1. THE INNKEEPER (Rebecca), when I spoke to her on the phone, immediately put me at ease by her enthusiasm which far exceeded any feeling of officiousness. We all know this is a business for profit, but we cling to the hope that we can still feel relaxed and WELCOME upon arrival, and this I felt.
2. THE INN. It is GORGEOUS. All the antiques are AUTHENTIC, it's not some hokey recreation. The beds are supremely comfortable (tempur pedic just like I have at home), the towels thick, the water pressure high, wide screen TVs, WORKING fireplaces. Do I REALLY need to continue? I had a fire burning all evening, as well as an IN ROOM massage. All this while keeping in tact the feeling of being liberated from the city and immersed into a relaxing Pa town with Amish roots.
3. BREAKFAST. Rebecca loves cooking, and as I saw my reservation go from one day to two to three, I will say that the thought of getting up from my comfortable bed was made easier by knowing that chicken hash with poached eggs, raspberry pancakes, asparagus and cheese quiche were waiting for me. She actually SEASONS her food as I would, I remember thinking that were I to criticize it would be that some guests might find this not to their taste, especially if they prefer eggos for breakfast but for me, someone who uses herbs and spices, it was a pleasure. SAGE in my hash! Of COURSE!
4. PRICE. Prices are bargains, that's all there is to say. I'm not rich nor poor, but it's within my price range and I'll be back as soon as I need another does of R and R, and that will be SOON.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Historic Smithton Inn is a Select Registry property and one of the oldest bed and breakfasts in Lancaster County. The 1763 colonial stone inn boasts 7 guest rooms, all with en-suite baths, working fireplaces, flat screen TV/DVD players, digital alarm clocks and refrigerators. Guest rooms are spacious and blend historic charm with modern comforts. You'll absolutely love our breakfasts! Our location provides you easy access to all the wonderful Lancaster attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Historic Smithton Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.