“Excellent Hampton Inn”

Hampton Inn & Suites Ephrata - Mountain Springs
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ephrata
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 18, 2012 via mobile

We had a lovely spacious king room with a delightful view overlooking the town and distant hills. The staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast included make-your-own waffles, scrambled eggs, sausages, hot and cold cereals, biscuits, Danish, fresh fruit and beverages in a cozy breakfast area complete with working fireplace. The hostess was especially welcoming. The only criticism we had was that the entrance was difficult to find and could have better signage from the road.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Cyberyaya
dianabernardo, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Ephrata - Mountain Springs, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Thank you so much for calling us "excellent" - a commitment to excellence is what our Team makes everyday! You are among the many Guests who appreciate the magnificent view - as a matter of fact, the local news station put a camera on our roof to show the weather in the valley from that beautiful vantage point. I am also glad you enjoyed our hot breakfast - we think it can't be beat! I am sorry you had trouble locating us; we are in a quaint area of downtown Ephrata and it doesn't allow for large signage - but Guests can program the cross-streets of Spring Garden & Main Streets into their GPS to find us more easily. We hope to see you again on future trips to the area.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

Good experience from reservation to check out. Accommodated three people in one room with a roll in bed. Perfect location for exploring Lancaster and the beautiful countryside.

Breakfast only so-so with very salty oatmeal and lots of garbage due to amount of stryrofoam and plastic used.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank John B
dianabernardo, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Ephrata - Mountain Springs, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2012

I am so glad you enjoyed our location. I too agree that it is perfect - just north of Lancaster and a few miles from the Pennsylvania Dutch Countryside. I hope you took lots of pictures!

I am sorry you were disappointed with our oatmeal. It's our latest addition to our all-you-can-eat hot breakfast with eggs and make your own waffles everyday. Perhaps next time you can try some toppings - we have cinnamon brown sugar and dried fruit to help sweeten it up.

Breakfast does get quite busy - but I wanted to make sure to clarify that the items you saw in the trash were not plastic or styrofoam. The Hampton Brand is committed to helping to care for our environment, and every Hampton hotel uses sustainable products. We use "Enviroware" at breakfast, which contain no dyes or pigments and show our commitment to "going green." Although the plates and cutlery appear similar to styrofoam and plastic, i am proud to say they are 100% biodegradable.

Thank you for being our Guest - we hope to be your "perfect location" for your next trip to Lancaster County!

Reviewed May 12, 2012

The hotel has a room for people who use a wheelchair on the second floor with the only window facing a cement wall with no view or light. Cost is the same as other rooms, but if you you use a wheelchair you will not be able to see out the window. Their "suites" are not as large as a regular hotel room. Management is not sympathetic despite having made a reservation well in advance for a Suite that would accommodate a person who uses a wheelchair. Cant wait to see the other people who use wheelchairs and are occupying the "other" rooms that are wheelchair accessible AND actually have "real" windows at breakfast tomorrow morning. Advice: Drive further and avoid Ephrata if at all possible if you have a disability OR if you want a room priced according to price and value at other hotels. Ephrata sucks....AND where is the "mountain spring"? Plus no decent restaurants close.

Room Tip: Don't come at all if you have a disability.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank equusigns
dianabernardo, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Ephrata - Mountain Springs, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

I am disheartened to hear of your disappointment with our hotel, but I am also glad you let our front desk staff and executive housekeeper know so that we could honor our 100% Hampton Guarantee for your stay. They removed the charge for your night's stay per our Brand's commitment to Guest satisfaction. I researched your reservation and spoke with my Team concerning your stay and would like to address your concerns.

Our hotel is in full compliance with ADA guidelines and all of our accessible rooms are set up to provide maximum space and comfort for our Guests with limitations. The room you were originally assigned was such a room and was given per your request on your reservation which you made online on May 3rd. We have three rooms of this type (two queens accessible), one on each floor, and the 2nd floor room does have a partially blocked view from the Hampton portico; this was the only accessible double-queen room left upon your arrival. Our hotel is sold out almost every night and it is not always possible to change rooms, but I understand we were able to move you across the hall to a room with a lovely view of downtown Ephrata.

There may have been some confusion as to the reservation you made online, which was for a room with two queens, accessible. We do not physically have a two-queen suite (standard or accessible) on property, and I understand that you were shown the king studio suites but you did not prefer the layout. The double queen room you were moved to was smaller than the one you reserved since it was not an accessible room.

As a side note, the "Mountain Springs" in our name pays homage to the historic property that was on our site. It was originally built in 1848 as a summer resort, capitalizing on its natural spring water, and hosted a variety of high-profile guests including Presidents Grant, Lincoln and Buchanan. We are proud to showcase this in our name as a testament to the history of our hotel site and I apologize if this caused you any misunderstanding.

Our Guarantee is the foundation of our Brand's success, and it reads "Friendly service, clean rooms, comfortable surroundings, every time. If you're not satisfied, we don't expect you to pay.
That's our commitment & your guarantee. That's 100% Hampton." Because you were not completely satisfied, you did not pay for your stay. Should you pass this way again, please contact me directly and I will make sure you get an accessible queen room on a higher floor with no blocked view. I also urge you to give both us and Applebee's another chance as we are both award-winning properties within our Brand. There are also several delightful local restaurants within walking distance; and Lancaster County is known for our great home cooking. We have a dining guide at the front desk with our personal recommendations - good food is not in short supply in our area.

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to honor our Guarantee, and we hope to better serve you in the future.

Reviewed April 18, 2012

From the time of reservation until we left, the service was outstanding. The two ladies at breakfast would keep the entire breakfast area clean and filled to capacity with food. They were literally running around the entire 4 hours that breakfast was available. Mints were provided to us each morning as well as coloring pages for the kids. The hospitality was exceptional. This was also the case for the front desk. The front desk insured that we were satisfied and happy at all times. The rooms and entire hotel was clean and the cleanliness was maintained during the entire stay. The Hampton and Hilton business offices should use this hotel as an example of what a hotel staff should do at all times. I hope they ALL get rewarded for their exceptional efforts. Thank you Hampton Inn of Ephrata! If we are ever in the area, we will stay at your hotel again. I have never said that before.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kim T
dianabernardo, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Ephrata - Mountain Springs, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Wow - "best" and 'ever" in the title - what a great compliment! I am glad you enjoyed our hot breakfast - it's our best amenity and it's FREE for all of our Guests. I will make sure to put your comments in my hotel newsletter - our breakfast Team will appreciate the special recognition for their efforts in keeping everything clean and stocked! Your praise of our entire Team is very much appreciated, and we would be honored to be used as a 'training hotel" (-: as you suggested.

We would also be honored to have you back again, since that is not something you have done before - that is the biggest compliment you can give us.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

What makes this hotel better than good is the service. The front desk was more than accomodating. They were helpful and attentive...pretty unusal nowadays, huh? The hotel was quiet, and in a perfect location.
However, I did not sleep well. The Auto Heat went on and off throughout the night. It was like someone groaning next to me.
If I am in the area again, I will definitely return....just not to the room I had.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank suzzie71
dianabernardo, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Ephrata - Mountain Springs, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Thank you for your review - my Team will appreciate the recognition for what is indeed unusual in most places- but we don't think "helpful and attentive" should ever go out of style - especially at a hotel! I am glad you enjoyed our location, which we agree is perfect along charming Main Street in downtown Ephrata, but still close to the Lancaster County attractions. Regarding the heat, the units do cycle at night to maintain temperature - but here's a tip for your next visit: switch it over to "on" and it will not cycle like it does on "auto", allowing for uninterrupted rest. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

Hotel was very clean and staff was wonderful, We asked them for a recommendation for dinner and they told us about Johnnys Steak House( a local spot) and they were right. It was one of the best meals we had. We will be going back for sure!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarylandPicky
dianabernardo, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Ephrata - Mountain Springs, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2012

Sounds like you made TWO great choices on your visit! Johnny's Steakhouse is one of my personal favorites (I hope you had the garlic mashed potatoes with your steak!) and its sister restaurant in the same building, Kyma, is an excellent choice for seafood lovers (they also serve Johnny's steaks) and should be on your list when you return. Thank you for your kind words about our hotel & staff. They get special recognition with each comment and I appreciate your review!

Reviewed April 5, 2012

My work, as a writer, photographer, keeps me on the road through much of the year. The majority of places where I stay fall into the category of “okay”, a few fall into the category of “awful” and fewer still reach the highest level of true excellence. Sadly, I’ve come to believe that few owners/managers of hotels fully appreciate the most important factor setting the truly excellent apart from the merely acceptable. Is it the overall cleanness and comfort of the rooms? Certainly, a clean, comfortable and well-planned room is important to most travelers. How about the amenities? As a business traveler, I need reliable access to the Internet as well as a decent desk on which to work. I enjoy a motel that offers an exercise area and/or indoor swimming pool and being able to grab a quick onsite breakfast is always welcome. Nonetheless, in my opinion, these things, while important, are not enough to move lodging from “good” to “great”. Based on my extensive travel experience, staying in many different type lodgings, the single most important factor that can make or break a visit for me is the people working at the location.

When I arrived at the Hampton Inn, Ephrata, Pennsylvania, I had been on the road for about a week, having stayed in a series of motels ranging from the barely acceptable to the fine, if not great. I was road weary, hungry and feeling a bit irritable when I walked into the lobby. Within minutes, the desk clerk had me smiling and even laughing. She instantly made me feel welcome and “at home”. She carefully explained the times for breakfast and evening snacks, the layout of the motel and the location of nearby restaurants. I rode the well-kept elevator upstairs and found my room, a large, well laid out room that was immaculately clean. I was thrilled to note that the work desk was – for once – a real desk, complete with ample work space in which to spread out and a fully adjustable, professional quality desk chair. I set up my laptop, found the Internet connection to be very quick and reliable and began responding to my e-mail. A few minutes later, the room phone rang, the folks at the front desk wanted to know if the room met my needs and if there was anything else I needed.

Throughout my two-day stay, I encountered a number of staff persons, all of whom took time to stop and ask about my stay and to ask if there was anything, I might need. Breakfast was served in a large, sunny room off the main lobby. The menu included most of the standard items, yogurt, cereal, make-them-yourself waffles, fruit, eggs and sausage. The woman in charge of the breakfast area was friendly, efficient and helpful. When I returned to the hotel, after a day of work, a different desk clerk greeted me by name, something I find admirable and a bit surprising. As had her collogue, she appeared genuinely interested in knowing if the motel met my needs or if there was anything I might need. This is exceptional, for I am certain that attempting to remember the names of every guest in a large motel is not an easy task.

When you travel extensively, it is normal to become somewhat jaded and tired of the impersonal nature of most motels/hotels. Personally, I get tired of being seen as merely another “guest” that is more of a necessary evil than the main focus of the business. You walk into a motel, give your reservation information and feel lucky when the clerk manages to find the reservation without trouble. For the remainder of your visit – whether you stay for a one night or weeks – you feel lucky if the staff even notice you as you pass their desk. It’s rare, at even the most expensive places, to have the desk personnel remember your name or to inquire as to your stay beyond the first preliminary small talk as you register. I’d strongly urge the corporate leadership at Hampton Inns, to consider sending under-performing owners/managers to the Hampton in Ephrata for a week in order to learn the secrets of achieving the status of a truly excellent motel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Shoya

I must say that this is my favorite review of all time. Thank you for taking the time to write such an eloquent, detailed review from the perspective of a seasoned traveler. I too believe it's the "staff, not the stuff" that makes a hotel a great place to stay AND work, and I am so proud that my Team delivered on our promise of outstanding service. Having a clean and comfortable property is definitely important, but keeping my Team motivated & engaged is my passion. I am working on my next hotel newsletter and your comments will be the highlight of how we "make a difference" every day. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review, you have made my day and will surely show my Team that making a personal connection with our Guests is what has led us to be a 6-time "Lighthouse" Award winner from Hilton Worldwide. We hope you will join us again on our next visit to Lancaster County!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ephrata
Comfort Inn of Lancaster County North
Best Western Plus Intercourse Village Inn & Suites
Eden Resort and Suites, BW Premier Collection
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lancaster (Amish Country)
The Inn at Leola Village
Hampton Inn Lancaster
Hampton Inn Lancaster
#5 of 40 in Lancaster

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Ephrata - Mountain Springs? Share your experiences!