“Go to the amusement park, but camp elsewhere”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elysburg
Knoebels Campground
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Go to the amusement park, but camp elsewhere”
Reviewed December 17, 2010

Having great experiences at the amusement park, we went camping at the adjoining campground. We saw multiple families packing themselves into the small cabins or single campsites to save money, overtaxing the bathrooms and shuttle buses. Lots of loud, drinking parties going on, which surprised me since it was next to a kids park. Security guards did not enforce rules. Bathrooms badly in need of attention.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
9 Thank avidcamper81

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
North Wales, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Ok so this was our 1st time ever going camping with our Pop-Up trailer that we just bought, so I dont really have to much of a camping experience. I always camped up til about the age of 15 so I dont really remember much. But anyways It was me, my husband and 2 daughters ages 8 and 3. WE LOVED every part of our trip and we stayed 2 nights. We stayed over monday and tuesday night so it wasnt crowded. We checked in and the lovely lady tried finding a campsite that suited our needs. And she did she found our restroom right across the little street and found a level area. The campground store had our S'Mores needs and anything else we needed. It was a short walk to the park. The bathrooms and showers we clean enough. Lets just say for our 1st time as a family camping, it was perfect. We plan on doing this every year maybe twice. And the plus is which we didnt know is that your dog can camp with you and go to the park with you, no more paying the costly dog boarding facility. Plus the park is cheap and great for the little kids..

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank LuvMyBrussels
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 16, 2010

The park itself is a secret that is getting out. Each year I see more and more people coming from further and further away which tends to make the park crowded on a weekend in the summer. I recommend to visit during the week. There is no park that I know of that has free parking (yes it is in on a dirt and grass field), free admission and food so reasonably priced. Try going to great adventure with a family of four and leaving without spending at least 200.00 for the day which includes a nice heft 15.00 parking fee. For me its great because I dont ride al the rides so why should i pay 35.00 just to walk into a park so my chid can ride? well that is what is great about this place. Plus if you have small kids who may only be able to ride ets say 6 rides or so, you are only paying for the rides they go on instead of a big whopping parkin entrance fee. The food is great. Awesome, old fashion funnel cakes and I say that because some parks are actually cutting corners by having frozen pre made funnel cakes that they just heat up in oil. This place makes them from scratch with 4 older ladies making them who are super nice. One puts the batter in the fryer, one takes it out, one sugars it and the last one delivers it to you with a smile. when is the last time you got a smile at one of the six flag places? Some of the younger ride workers do seem to care more about their cell phones but what teenager doesnt? Most of the workers friendly and I can always get help if I ask. About dogs in the park-I have never seen a dog pooh in the park and an owner leave it. It must be a rare event and the dog owners are always respectful. I did notice many rides have increased in price but what place hasnt increased? there is a huge selection of rides for all ages and tons of options to eat. What is great is that if you dont want to eat in the park then you can grill right outside of it under trees and pavilons. You do want to get there early to get a good table. but many parks dont even allow this. So that is a nice thing. The pool is old and it needs some repairs. I would say it needs a really good over haul. Plus they need to invest in more options for sitting around the pool. there isnt a whole lot of room and it isnt very private at all. But they do have fun slides and the water is spring fed from the mountains. its cold but so clean. wed is the best day to use the pool as it is the least crowded. weekends can be brutal. now the camp ground. its loud, smokey and crowded. I recommend a week day stay. In fact I recommend visiting during a week day period. I think they could make the bathrooms more updated and cleaner. but really they dont have to. the crowds are supporting it as it is now. I dont think I will camp again but will always come back. its a great place. its one of the states best kept secrets and I hope it always stays that way.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank mkcbcn
Morris County, NJ
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,320 helpful votes
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I tried to make a reservation and was told that they were booked up. We are meeting other family members who are camping there that weekend and asked if any spots became available, could they call me. I was curtly told "We are too busy to make a list". Given all the good things that I read about this park, I was suprised to hear that.

I think we will go elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bwco
Vermont
Reviewed June 25, 2010

We went to Elysburg to go to Knoebels Park. I had heard about it online and saw it featured on Food Network. When we got there all the campsites are soooo crammed together. I went to use the restroom and the doors had holes through them, the floor was wet, pee all over the place and NO TOILET SEATS!! I just ran out of there as fast as I could. I went down the road to McDonalds to use their restroom. The bathroom/showers are in need of updating!!! I felt like they went to a jail auction saw their stainless steel toilets and snatched them up. The shower rooms are this ugly tile and very very old. I couldn't believe people actually used them!

If you have young children, maybe consider getting a hotel in Elysburg and not stay at the campground. Since they have a high volume of people there were a lot noise at night! The only convient thing is that the park is right next to the campground (within walking distance). When we got into the park I just got this feeling of grossness. It's run down. The staff at the park and at the campground are very rude and don't seem to care about their jobs. They rather spend time texting on their phones than pay attention to the ride itself. I saw many parents that tried to take their young children on the Hunted Mansion ride. I saw a woman who brought her newborn baby on the ride and was wondering why her baby was crying at the end of the ride!! I give the park credit for making a good website but it's not as nice as they make it seem when you get there. We did make it through the night but ended up leaving a day early. Usually I don't mind if a place is a little dirty and I'm very used to the camping lifestyle but this place was just awful.

They do have 2 really good wooden roller coasters the Phoenix and the Twister that's a bout the only good thing about this place.

I would just have thought that with them being featured on Food Network they would have the means to keep their place clean but that wasn't the case. They allow dogs inside the park it'self which seems really odd, so you have to watch your step for dog poop!

They really need to do some updating inside the park and in the campground. They should at the very least update the campground bathrooms they were so gross that I just about puked when I opened the door! My advice to you is that you get a regular hotel in a nearby town but don't stay in the campground if you have young children it's not sanitary!

They have a pool but it closes at 4PM!!! I wouldn't even go near the pool very outdated!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
7 Thank ThelillyKat
Hudson Valley New York
Reviewed May 19, 2010

We go to Knoebels just about every year.. Sometimes we camp and sometimes we motel it.. The campground is pretty tight but we are really only there to sleep.. We do go with other families sometimes and the close sites work out for us but I can see where others wouldn't like it.. The bathrooms are dirty towards the end of the morning and the end of the night.. They do clean them often but what do you expect with the volume of people going through there.. Overall I like it here for the atmosphere and the close proximity to the park.. Also if you are tent people request a platform site, it helps alot when you get that night of rain..

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 10, 2010

Let me tell you, I ALWAYS have a great time here! There are a few things you want to know before going there. The sections of the campground are named as states and candadian provinces. If you look at a campground map, find the canadian provinces. Youll want to reserve a site in the back. The sites are HUGE and back up to the woods. Book a few months in advance and you'll be set! Another thing you'll want to know is the park tickets for the Amusement park are A LOT cheaper if you go early in the season. For this reason, my family and several other families we know always go the weekend before memorial day. The pay-one-price stamp is only $20 for the day! If you don't ride the rides, but your kids do, you can get into the park for free and just pay for your kids. If you have pets, you can bring them into the park with you! The best place to eat is the food court area, there are foods from around the world, and everyone in your family will be able to find something they like. And the park hours are 12(noon)-8 when we go, so we can sleep in and make a nice breakfast before going to the park. I hope you take a second chance to come here, it's a fantastic park/campground if you know the secrets!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
7 Thank rudyboxer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elysburg
The Inn at Turkey Hill
#4 of 6 in Danville
Hampton Inn Danville
Hampton Inn Danville
#1 of 6 in Danville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Frackville (Pottsville)
Holiday Inn Express Bloomsburg
Hampton Inn Bloomsburg
Hampton Inn Bloomsburg
#1 of 8 in Bloomsburg

Been to Knoebels Campground? Share your experiences!