“Puzzled by negative reviews”
Review of Black Gryphon

Black Gryphon
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This place is temporarily closed due to renovation. Owner Anthony Morgan said Friday that repairs will take four to six months, but the restaurant will reopen.
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We ate on a Sunday afternoon - so it was not busy. We were served by the owner's wife who was delightful. Everything arrived promptly and at the correct temperatures. Perhaps critiques of service are from a busier time or tied to a specific server, I don't know - but we had excellent service.

The food is creative, and we felt, delivered on the promise of what was advertised. Particularly liked the Rarebit and the Pierogies. There was only one dish that I did not enjoy as much as the others, and I attribute that merely to a personal preference - it was not a bad dish - just not for me.

If you are considering this restaurant - I would encourage you to visit.

Reviewed May 19, 2012

Have experienced the chocolate wings before and they are quite enjoyable. We tried the honey BBQ wings at this last visit as well and it was quite curious as they were covered in what tasted like marinara sauce. Kinda ketchupy. They werent terrible but I couldn't get past the fact that I felt like I was eating chicken parm on a wing instead of honey BBQ wings. I thought maybe they got the sauces mixed up so I told the waiter who went to the kitchen to check. He came back to the table to report that he tasted the sauce and felt like my opinion was "spot on". As I said, it was just ...curious. Otherwise the other food was good. The staff is always very pleasant and attentive. Large selection of beers. We were given the dinner menu but asked for the small plates menu as well because not all items (such as wings) are on the dinner menu. I would recommend giving this place a try.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

This is one of my new favorite restaurants in the area. All f the food was fresh and flavorful. was a great meal all around. Dessert was incredible and different.

Reviewed March 17, 2012

I eat here often and the staff is vary friendly and the food is also very good. They have live entertainment several times per month and excellent live theater at times.

Reviewed March 4, 2012

I ate at this restaurant last night with my mother. We both enjoyed our food very much and thought that the menu was certainly the most interesting in E-town. My mother especially enjoyed her grilled pear salad. I had a risotto dish with Spanish sausage and I that was very tasty. The food wasn't the highest level cuisine that I've ever tasted but was still very good and certainly the most interesting food that is currently available in Elizabethtown. I would definitely recommend this restaurant. Also, the number of beers available is exceptional. Our service was excellent however we have heard from other people who have eaten at the restaurant that the service was very slow.