Holiday Inn Express Elizabethtown (Hershey Area)
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elizabethtown
Reviewed November 5, 2012

For $150 per night, this hotel was pretty barebones. Very nice employees, but nothing fancy. Small bathroom. It was an interesting combination of many amenities (newspaper, microwave, good TV, new towels, but it still had cheap construction and a noisy AC. Location is about 5 miles for downtown. Okay for good place to sleep.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
rshafferhie, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Elizabethtown (Hershey Area), responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Good Morning,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We sincerely appreciate receiving feedback from our guests! I would like to take this time to inform you of a few upcoming changes to our hotel. We have recently added the LG HDTV 37" flatscreens, microwaves, and refrigerators to each guestroom. We have a continous plan to improve out guestroom decor and functionality to improve our guests experience and modernize each guestroom. Please feel free to provide any additional feedback that you feel may aid this process. I can be reached directly at 717-367-4000 ext. 150. Thank you again for your comments, and have a wonderful day!

With warm regards,
Rose Shaffer

P.S. Our rates vary by seasons, time of year and special events. I see you travelled on business. Please feel free to inform my front desk of this should you need to visit our area again. We may have a negotiated rate with your business. Thanks Again!

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Elizabethtown (Hershey Area)

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I was put at the Holiday Inn Express during a recent trip to do some speaking in Elizabethtown. This hotel is not near anything and has an upkeep that is going downhill. The coffee machine in my room had used packets that had begun to grow hairy mold all over them, the hallway smelled of heavy smoke, and the bathroom and little chunks of stuff that would float up from the drain in the tub when you would shower.

The bed was clean, hard but clean. The air conditioner did not work efficiently, was exceedingly loud and let out a screech.

I am at a loss for how this hotel get decent reviews because I love Tripadvisor, but I think what has happened is management or something has changed...this hotel literally stinks.

The staff were friendly, but so is everyone you meet in town.

My recommendation is to stay outside of Elizabethtown proper and drive from one of the nearby better hotels.

And although I wasn't paying I saw that they charged my providers 189 a night for this room....A HUGE RIP OFF.

Room Tip: Go down the road even if out of town a little. Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Sir,
Thank you for the feedback you provided. We sincerely appreciate receiving feedback from our guests, and we value your opinions. It's guests like you that provide your opinions to help us improve our property and services. I apologize for the poor experience you had with our property, and I have reviewed this with my management team and staff. I am excited to inform you that we have just been approved to become a smoke free hotel. We will be converting to non smoking in early 2013!

In reference to the room rate, during your stay was a special event. Our rates vary by seaon and we have a few special events each year in which the rates vary.

I would like to invite you to contact me directly so I may discuss your recent stay at our hotel. If you would like to contact me, I may be reached directly at 717-367-4000 ext. 150.

Thank you again for your feedback! Have a wonderful day!

With warm regards,
Rose Shaffer

Reviewed October 1, 2012

2 adults and 2 teens Stayed 1 Saturday night in Sept 2012 so we didn't have to travel home after attending FarmAid in Hershey.The hotel was not marked(no sign) on the access road, but GPS found it. It is marked on the highway above, but you can't turn in from up there. Check in fast and friendly. Room was clean and nice. halls did smell of cigarette smoke, but not the room. Comfy beds. Good breakfast, but small room. Staff was non-stop making sure food was plentiful. There was a Pancake machine, not a waffle iron. Less than 30 minutes to Hersheypark, and it's a nice, scenic ride. I would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a family wedding in the area. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. I needed directions to a grocery store with a floral department and was given a very easy to read map with everything I needed marked on it. The breakfast was excellent with both hot and cold options including fresh fruit & made to order pancakes. My only complaint would be that you could smell cigarette smoke in some of the halls. I guess it was where the smoking rooms were, but it was very strong and unpleasant odor.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Very nice people at front desk but was not really happy with my rooms. We checked in and the rooms did not have the AC on so it smelled, almost like a rug after it has had water damage. The smell never left the room. I felt this hotel was not worthy of the Holiday Inn name. First bad experience at this name brand hotel

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Get the little things right. And don't make me feel like I got taken by someone who is looking to shake every last penny out of me.

The rooms are nice enough. But for $182 a night (with taxes), especially with ample other less-pricey options in the area, I feel like they should get it all right.

When we checked in at 11pm, we were tired and wanted to get some sleep. However the keys wouldn’t open the side door (which we were assured they would), so we had to double back thru the lobby with all of our stuff. Not a big deal...but not what I want to deal with when I'm paying the highest price in the area.

When we got to our room, only one of the keys worked.

Another example is the vending machine. I walked past, assessed the prices and returned with the cash. The water machine said 125 and charged me 150. Not a big deal...except that I brought the right amount of money to get a drink and snack, which I couldn’t now do.

Other details...the temperature in the room was set for 65 degrees. When it's 65 degrees and raining outside, it's nice to not walk into an ice box.

Another thing...not having a current newspaper. What are they...a buck a piece? Especially since there’s nothing in walking distance (and a major story breaking in Colorado the day before).

Access to a pool...I guess you have to mention it. But that's just another thing that makes your guest feel like they're being played.

The people here were good. The rooms were clean.

But again, coming in at $180+ a night...you gotta elevate yourself above the other places in the area. The little things made this just another hotel, and for this price, you can stay somewhere similar and go get a really nice meal and still have change left over to tip the maid.

I dunno. I realize that I'm nit picking. But I tossed down an extra 90+ bucks since it was my wife's 40th (guess what, we're just a working couple with two mortgages) over other options, and walked away feeling...used? The execution and the brand were not in agreement: I didn't feel smart for staying at a Holiday Inn Express...I felt taken.

Room Tip: This hotel is not in Elizabethtown proper, and does not have a pool onsite.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Elizabethtown (Hershey Area), responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Dear Dan R,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. I am pleased that you found our hotel staff good and the rooms clean. I am sorry to hear the troubles you experienced our room keys and vending machine. I apologize for the inconvenience caused by room temperature issues and the lack of current newspaper. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. I will follow up your concerns to the hotel to make sure similar occurrence does not happen in the future. We sincerely regret that we were unable to make your stay an excellent one.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 10, 2012

I stayed here for a week. Very clean room, Comfortable Bed with excellent pillow selection. Bathroom clean and towels well stocked. Had all the comforts of a pricey hotel at a lower price.
I will be back if in this lovely town again.

Room Tip: I stayed on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabethtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Mount Joy / Lancaster West
Comfort Inn & Suites Manheim - Lebanon
Warehouse Hotel
Warehouse Hotel
#2 of 7 in Manheim

Been to Holiday Inn Express Elizabethtown (Hershey Area)? Share your experiences!