“room had a smell to it”

Holiday Inn Express Elizabethtown (Hershey Area)
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elizabethtown
New York City, New York
“room had a smell to it”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Very nice people at front desk but was not really happy with my rooms. We checked in and the rooms did not have the AC on so it smelled, almost like a rug after it has had water damage. The smell never left the room. I felt this hotel was not worthy of the Holiday Inn name. First bad experience at this name brand hotel

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Get the little things right. And don't make me feel like I got taken by someone who is looking to shake every last penny out of me.

The rooms are nice enough. But for $182 a night (with taxes), especially with ample other less-pricey options in the area, I feel like they should get it all right.

When we checked in at 11pm, we were tired and wanted to get some sleep. However the keys wouldn’t open the side door (which we were assured they would), so we had to double back thru the lobby with all of our stuff. Not a big deal...but not what I want to deal with when I'm paying the highest price in the area.

When we got to our room, only one of the keys worked.

Another example is the vending machine. I walked past, assessed the prices and returned with the cash. The water machine said 125 and charged me 150. Not a big deal...except that I brought the right amount of money to get a drink and snack, which I couldn’t now do.

Other details...the temperature in the room was set for 65 degrees. When it's 65 degrees and raining outside, it's nice to not walk into an ice box.

Another thing...not having a current newspaper. What are they...a buck a piece? Especially since there’s nothing in walking distance (and a major story breaking in Colorado the day before).

Access to a pool...I guess you have to mention it. But that's just another thing that makes your guest feel like they're being played.

The people here were good. The rooms were clean.

But again, coming in at $180+ a night...you gotta elevate yourself above the other places in the area. The little things made this just another hotel, and for this price, you can stay somewhere similar and go get a really nice meal and still have change left over to tip the maid.

I dunno. I realize that I'm nit picking. But I tossed down an extra 90+ bucks since it was my wife's 40th (guess what, we're just a working couple with two mortgages) over other options, and walked away feeling...used? The execution and the brand were not in agreement: I didn't feel smart for staying at a Holiday Inn Express...I felt taken.

Room Tip: This hotel is not in Elizabethtown proper, and does not have a pool onsite.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dan R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Elizabethtown (Hershey Area), responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear Dan R,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. I am pleased that you found our hotel staff good and the rooms clean. I am sorry to hear the troubles you experienced our room keys and vending machine. I apologize for the inconvenience caused by room temperature issues and the lack of current newspaper. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. I will follow up your concerns to the hotel to make sure similar occurrence does not happen in the future. We sincerely regret that we were unable to make your stay an excellent one.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cassville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I stayed here for a week. Very clean room, Comfortable Bed with excellent pillow selection. Bathroom clean and towels well stocked. Had all the comforts of a pricey hotel at a lower price.
I will be back if in this lovely town again.

Room Tip: I stayed on the ground floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Crofton, Maryland
Reviewed May 8, 2012

My daughter and I recently stayed here when we were in town to visit the college. I was very impressed with the front desk staff - very, very helpful. Call the hotel directly if you are visiting the college - they have a special rate they can offer you.

When we checked in, the front desk staff warned us that there were a lot of bowlers at the hotel that night and asked that if we had any problems with noise, to please, please, let them know. We didn't have any problems.

The rooms were clean and the beds were wonderful. We had a non-smoking room, and there was no evidence of smoke. Breakfast was ok - and the reason for four stars, not five. I would have liked some healthier options. Overall, I was really pleased with this hotel. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sfkmom
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Nice place, clean well thought out rooms, noise from obnoxious people in hallway past midnight annoying. Not many options in the area, so ok

• Stayed March 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn Express Elizabethtown (Hershey Area), responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Dear Lakeboater27,

Thank you for the feedback. We strive to make sure every guest has a wonderful experience
here and greatly appreciate the feedback if they don't.
I sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered with the noisy halls.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cockeysville
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Getting off the elevator on second floor smoke was thick though our room was in a non-smoking wing. Room was OK. Breakfast OK. Thick smoke makes it unlikely for a return visit. Front desk was nice. I went to front desk and reported the overpowering smoke. She came upstairs and sprayed, but for someone with allergies this was of no help. We put a towel along the bottom of the door to prevent smoke entering our room. Rate was high.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JV G
Kane, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 16, 2011

on our way to Felton, Delaware from Kane, Pa. found this Holiday Inn with easy on /off to route 283. Very nice Friendly Desk Clerk, Price was reasonable & room was Very Clean! We Own a small Motel ourselves & know how hard it can be to keep rooms clean & linens fresh. Some Customers can be so Disrespectful!! Thank You Elizabethtown Holiday Inn Express for a Quiet, Comfortable Stay! George & Denise

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Denise R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabethtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Mount Joy / Lancaster West
Eden Resort and Suites, BW Premier Collection
Lancaster Inn & Suites
Lancaster Inn & Suites
#5 of 7 in Manheim

Been to Holiday Inn Express Elizabethtown (Hershey Area)? Share your experiences!