“Diamond in the rough”

Cuisines: American
West Palm Beach, FL
“Diamond in the rough”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My family just rented 6 of the cabins at the Edinboro Lake Resort and I have to say overall, it was well worth it.

Let's start with the bad. When we first got there, the cabins were extremely warm as the owner did not open them up or turn on the A/C prior to our arrivals. I actually got keys for the remaining cabins and started their A/Cs. Next was the water issue. The cabins are on an inline water heating system which were not working right. The first couple of days, people ended up taking cold showers or no showers and rust/crud came out of the pipes every day. I myself started in a barely luke warm shower that went ICE COLD before the rinse. Next is the beds... The queen bed in the rear of the cabin has a short (4" maybe) matress on it that is VERY uncomforable. The twin bunks were the same from what I was told. Plus, the A/C does not adequately cool the rear room (I ended up buying a fan). Three of my family members slept on their couches because of this issue. Another issue is the WiFi. While it is free, you need to get on it when it works. I actually had a run in with the owner Phil because of this. As we were having an engagement and a wedding the same week, it really hurt posting of pics for the rest of the family to see or school work to be completed. My family knows that I'm technologically proficient and was shocked when the owner accused me of not being able to connect. One last thing. Phil needs to put the screen doors back on the sliders. Way to many bugs to just leave the glass doors open.

Now for the good. The cabins themselves are very nice and nicely appointed. You have all of the basics provided. Your view is of the lake (which is about 8 feet from your sliding glass doors) and the sunsets are great. You can actually walk from deck to deck without going down the stairs The grounds themselves are very conducive to family get-togethers and can be very entertaining for kids. Catching panfish and catfish outside your front door is a treat. There is also a nice sandbox, play area and beach (although the youngins in our group went in right in front of the cabins). On the north side of the property is a pavillion (which you will need to carry your picnic tables to) and the firepit. We utilized both and had a great time.

Once you get past Phil's personality, you realize he is not really a bad guy he just doesn't interact well. Here are a few things that will make your stay better: a fan, plastic utencils, aluminum foil for the baking sheets, an air matress for the beds, extra towels, fishing poles and bottled water (well water).

Overall, my family could not ask for a better place to be and we had a great time (we usually do). Somehow we even managed to adopts someone else's kid for a few hours. Not sure how that happened. Once Phil squares the issues away, it would be totally awesome. Would I come back? Absolutely. But, I will be better prepared and will enjoy every minute of it.

I didn't eat at the restaurant, but it looked like typical frozen bar food.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Sean37

Wheeling, West Virginia
“Thanks for ruining my vacation !!!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I booked our reservations months ago and informed them it would be 2 adults and 5 kids. I also reminded them of my 5 kids when we checked in. That evening when it was time for showers we noticed we were given 4 towels and 2 wash rags. We made the best of it and got all the kids bathed. The next day it rained so we went to Splash Lagoon and had a great time. Came back to the cabin still no more towels but we decided it was ok and we all showered reusing the same 4 towels and I sharing (gross!) 2 wash rags. Luckily my husband had and extra towel and rag in his truck. Tuesday morning was beautiful, we got up had breakfast and went to Erie Zoo. The kids had a great time. The Zoo isn't huge but it is very nice. It was about 85° and we wanted to shower but still no towels or no new garbage bags either. We've been here for 2 full days and I have 15 month old twins in diapers in a tiny cabin and there is no new garbage bags. Stinky !! I go to the office and theres no one there. There's a phone next to the office and the owners phone number is listed. I call the number and leave a message to have him call me back. He does about 10 minutes later. Iexplain that we've been there for 2 full days and would like some fresh towels and the guys says thats fine its $8 for towels. I asked why we had to pay for towels when we'll be there for 4 nights and there's 7 of us and we didn't get enough towels to begin with. He said that they only give 4 towels since that's what the price of the cabin is based on and kids are free. He for very very rude with me over the towels and told me to pack our stuff up and leave !!! I couldn't believe this was happening to me and my kids on our vacation. As I was speaking with him a huge black snake crawled out from under our porch. I asked him to come over and get the snake and he told me NO he wouldn't do it. He's very lucky none of my kids gotten bitten by it. Since we only live 3 hours away we decided to just come home. He told me I'd be refunded 2 nights of our stay by the next day but that is today as I type this review. The money had still not shown up in my account yet. I promise you I will get my money !!! I paid cash when checking in and he told me they only give refunds by refunding your card that you use to reserve your cabin with. Although the cabins are nice this owner (Phil) is crazy. He was complaining about how June had been a very slow month but when you trear your customers this was there's no doubt you're going to have a slow month or maybe an entire season. Oh and BTW... There is no basketball court just a hoop attached to a pavilion which is where the kayaks are stored. Theres no volleyball net or soccer field. Tge "beach" is no where near the cabins and with snakes in the water who wants to swim in it. I paid almost $500 for 4 nights. Unlesd you're going to go fishing then find yourself a hotel with a pool and get as many free towels and wash rags as you want.

Visited June 2013
8 Thank ejkale
Fredericton, Canada
“Lovely setting”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

It's the only Edinboro restaurant on the lake. It is worth going to just for the relaxation of that feature.

The food is ... well ... mediocre. Not anything to write home about. Fried food and sandwiches. They do have a nice beer selection.

My peeve -- they play the music too loud. I want to enjoy the company I am with, and to not have to raise voices.

Go to feel like you are on vacation, but don't expect a great dining experience.

• Visited May 2013
Edinboro, Pennsylvania
“It's okay”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

When they first opened they were pretty good. They received some grief from the township about codes which set them back a little. I went there daily for beer and the view. Is directly on the lake so the view is great. Now that they have been open awhile there service and quality has seemed to slip some. The view is really the best thing going. Everything else is just average.

Visited October 2012
Edinboro
“Go For The Atmosphere”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I take my family to the restaurant often, however, it's not for the quality of the food. We really enjoy the atmosphere (it's outside and right on the lake... amazing sunsets). They play island music and the wait staff is friendly. A lot of the food seems to be reheated frozen fare, so don't go for the food experience!

We've never stayed in the cabins, but know several people who have. Their feedback was mixed between good and bad.

• Visited August 2012