“Not quite 5/5 but quite close ....”

Langley Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Langley-on-Tyne
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Great view on approach to the castle itself through winding roads and up a drive to the castle itself perched on top of a small hill. Pretty small tudor style garden to front with fountain, sloping laid out formal gardens with pergolas and tables ideal for weddings etc. Lots of rabbits and peacocks knocking about and easy parking on gravel to side of castle and further down near castle view rooms.

15th C fortified tower which has been comprehensively converted within last 100 years so internally not original but certainly sympathetically done and impressive, not as overbearing as the scottish baronial style. Internally steep stone winding stairs so visitors with limited movement may be better off in the castle view rooms where we stayed.

These rooms also have some steep stairs if in the upstairs apartments. Again sympathetic conversions with nice medieval faux touches, good bathrooms and 2 flat screen televisions, aircon and a very good guests guide, in fact one of the best I have seen of many hundreds.

Breakfast pretty good but not amongst the best, good quality ingredients, portions fairly small.

Service efficient if slightly formal although a difficult balance to get right bearing in mind what it is and many guests would expect some formality give the setting.

Langley Castle does very well what it is, a pretty good hotel in a castle conversion.

2  Thank Thedragon22
Anton_Phillips, General Manager at Langley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear Simon - Thank you for being able to share your experience of Langley following your recent stay - I have noted your comments regarding portion size for breakfast and we are reviewing the style, content and quality as a result - We receive many positive comments regarding the staff, but sometimes it is a narrow line for some guests between being over familiar and the efficiency of service - I still feel that the natural Northumbrian charm is the best and will continue to encourage this. I do hope that you will return to the Castle at some point and I will do all I can to turn your next review into a 5 - Best regards - Anton

Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stayed 3 nights in room 22 - Castleview suite. Langley castle was chosen as we wanted to explore the Northhumberland countryside . We travelled the coastline of Northumberland to Holy Island, walked parts of Hadrians Wall, visited Kielder Waters and lots of touring around the area
. Our room was wonderful - spacious, view of castle and the tariff was fully justified. The food was all delicious. The staff were very helpful , really enjoyed the castle tour, the young man Aiden giving the tour made the history of castle so interesting. There was something very special about this castle hotel- enchanting , friendly and relaxed. We have stayed in many 4 star hotels but we felt that we had made an excellent choice choosing this hotel and really recommend you try it for yourself.

Room Tip: The castle rooms are quite dark but the castle view rooms are lovely and light.
1  Thank Pritchards1963

Dear Pritchards - Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay to explore Northumberland - The Castle is a perfect base for exploring Hadrian's Wall, The Northumberland coastline and Holy Island - We even have a structured series of what we call "Three Millennia Tours" with experiences covering roman, medieval and modern times - Please see our web site for details - I would thank you for your kind comments regarding the accommodation, food and also the Battlement tour and I will pass these on to Aiden and the rest of the Team - I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Langley before too long - Best regards - Anton

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Wow - an amazing hotel. We stayed for 2 nights, a different room every night and they were both magnificent and luxurious. The only downside was that the drawing at the end of the evening was chilly, apart from that though we had a wonderful stay. I'd recommend going on the tour too.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank H W
Anton_Phillips, General Manager at Langley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2014

Dear HW - thank you for posting your review of your recent stay - The rooms in the main Castle are all so different and it can be great fun to try each one - The Battlement tour is a popular feature and allows our guests to get a fuller appreciation of the historical roots and the views of the Castle are lovely - Please keep an eye on our web site for upcoming special offers -Best regards - Anton

Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

Everything was top shelf. The rooms were royally appointed, super clean and comfortable. We had dinner there also; we all had the English lamb and were amazed at the tenderness and originality of the preparation. The afternoon tea was grand; just enough to see us through til dinner. The only complaint I had; the vodka martini I had was probably the worst one I have ever ordered. I understand most Brits aren't big cocktail drinkers, but a martini is pretty standard all around the world. Almost went to the bar to teach the young man how to make an American style martini. Breakfast the next morning was a real delight. There were fresh native strawberries, I believe from Kent. I believe we got the room through British Groupon, and it was a real steal for what we got. If I'm ever lucky enough to get back to Northumbria, I would go back again. We here in the states don't have the availability to stay in a 14th century castle, so it was a real delight. Oh yeah, the peacocks roaming the property are a great touch. Also when I went for a walk, there are bat houses on a couple of trees. I asked the man who was trimming the box hedges, if there were any bats yet. He said no, but they did have bats in the main tower and were hoping to attract more to the property. Good natural insect control. All on all, I was as pleased with Langley Castle as any resort in the Dominican or Mexico. We were treated with respect and friendliness.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Ricki - Thank you so very much for sharing your recent experience of Langley Castle - I am delighted to not your comments regarding the quality & cleanliness of the rooms and the quality of the food in the Restaurant - We do have a plenty of wildlife in the grounds and programmes to try and encourage the Red Squirrels, wild birds and Bats - I do hope you will be able to return to Langley - Best regards - Anton
P.S I have now shown the young man on the Bar how to do a proper Dry Martini

Reviewed June 18, 2014

The Castle is wonderful to look at, and on the inside it had some rustic feel - but also gimmicky statues. On arrival the individual at the front desk was cold, unresponsive, and made me feel as though I was not welcome. I should note she also did not fulfill the introductory package - although was later rectified by the girl who replaced her. The individual delivering the tour was not very enthusiastic and had a difficult time telling the story of the castle's history.

The Castle is quite proud of receiving an award for their food, which must be for the dinner and not breakfast. The breakfast tasted as though it was cooked 6 hours earlier and the 'deep fried toast' I kid you not spewed grease when pressed with a fork. No one at my table was able to finish their meal due to the quality of the meal - especially considering it was £15!

If you are looking to read a book or paint a picture this is the place for you. If you are seeking some sort of nature walking, activities, outdoors - then you are best travelling to other places.

The saving grace was the superior castle room view suite. It was quite spacious and luxurious. The cleaning staff were courteous, as was the wait staff at the restaurant.

Unfortunately, I am unable to recommend this establishment on any level.

Room Tip: Castleview Suites are nice, and can be quite romantic for couples.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Matthew P

Dear Matthew - I am very disappointed that you did not enjoy your recent stay at the Castle - We have worked very hard to offer high standards of food and service and would apologise if this was not the case during your visit. The receptionist you first encountered was on her 3rd day and still in process of being trained - I will investigate with Chef what happened regarding breakfast as this is far removed form the standards we usually achieve - I do take all comments (good and bad) very personally and I will take steps to ensure this is not allowed to be repeated. Thank you for brining this to my attention - Best regards - Anton

Reviewed June 17, 2014

We thought the castle and its rooms absolutely wonderful. However, lack of training, attention to detail and plain old customer service to really let down the experience. We didn't receive a warm welcome, nor even someone to get the bags out of the car. When we got to the room. I found a dirty hanky in the drawer and a button on the floor that remained for our entire stay, which means vacuuming isn't up to scratch but bathrooms were spotless and that is so important. We chose to dine first evening but that was a bit of a farce. The owners of the property were in residence and were so busy taking up the staff's time for their own demands that guests missed out on any kind of service. We really loved the atmosphere and history of the property and the tour of the battlements and chapel were great but we probably wouldn't stay again as the service you would expect in a property of this calibre and price was just so absent. it is a shame as we really could see how fabulous it could be if some simple training and attention to detail could be instilled in all who worked there. One tall chap, who took all the orders in the restaurant, I cannot remember his name, was the only friendly exception.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Radcliffe room and it exceeded all expectations. Was a bit warm but airconditioning...
1  Thank Monika S

Dear Monika - I would like to thank you for posting your review of your stay. I am most concerned at some of the points raised. The usual comments we receive regarding the staff and their warmth of welcome and friendliness are so positive. I will certainly review the check list for housekeeping to ensure all aspects of hovering are actioned. There should not have been any lapse in our standards of service in the Restaurant. The owners of the Castle were indeed on one of their rare stays and they do have a huge interest in every aspect of the hotel - but this is to improve standards and certainly not to detract from them - If you felt this was the case then I would offer my genuine apologies for that. Best regards - Anton

Reviewed June 15, 2014

We got married here in 2014. Upon our first meeting for a wedding consultation at this venue, we met the general manager. He made us feel stupid, and overall I found him rude and pompous. He put us off to a certain degree. However, we decided to return and met another of the wedding managers and she saved the sale and we booked. Every time we have had meetings we have been very lucky and never seen the general manager again (we met all the other wedding managers through various appointments and they are all brilliant). We did however receive a phone call from him regarding the rooms that were on hold against our name (standard for wedding bookings) wanting us to release them (earlier than when we had to). While I have no problem with this request, the manner in which he spoke to me I found very rude and was very offended. I have a friend who got married here who thought he was brilliant, so I would recommend (if you have a similar first experience to us) not letting one person put you off and return to see someone different.

Our wedding was brilliant. The venue is amazing, the timings run very smoothly (which is great - nothing worse than being sat at the wedding breakfast still waiting to be fed an hour and a half after you were supposed to be), the food is excellent and a good portion size, and the staff on the day were very friendly, helpful and attentive. The cost of drinks is also in the more reasonable band for a wedding venue. Enjoyed breakfast the next morning though my hubby would have liked more cooked breakfast (he did not ask for more so I'm sure they would not have objected, but can't say for definite). I would recommend the venue to anyone for a wedding. The total cost of the venue was also the cheapest quote we received when compared to other venues in the area (we selected a comparative menu when doing costings - obviously depends what you select as to the price). It is also worth noting that the end bill was less than we had estimated.

Couple of things to be wary of if you are considering Langley as a venue. Firstly, the cost of the rooms are way overpriced. The castle rooms are amazing, but not worth the £250-£280 per night price tag that comes with them (we have stayed in a lot of 4* and 5* hotels in various countries and never paid anywhere near these prices and got significantly more for our money). Disability access is a bit naff; service lift is available but is not obvious. No card payments accepted at the bar which is also a bit inconvenient. None of these things put us off, but we did consider them before booking.

If you are getting married, we recommend you go and view Langley castle.

Room Tip: If you are staying in the castle the Radcliffe or Greenwich are tad best rooms in our opinion. Castl...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear SelbLou - Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review regarding your wedding - I am truly delighted that you enjoyed the occasion and would thank you for you kind comments. We do try to offer value for money and I know that our overall "package" compares very favourably with other venues. On a personal note if I caused you any offence when we met I would offer my unreserved apologies. This is out of character for me and would never wish to cause upset to anyone. In saying that I am delighted that your wedding was a complete success - Best wishes for your future happiness - Anton

Also consider these accommodations in or near Langley-on-Tyne
Matfen Hall
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford
The Black Bull Hotel

Been to Langley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!