“Russian roulette dining”

Off the Rak
Ranked #2 of 29 Restaurants in Ebensburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This is a restaurant that is very unique. It has a great bar area when you walk in to the right with an ice chiller in the bar. If you go to the left you would go out onto the deck which has been encloed to accomidate for all weather. Complete with palm trees and deck furniture. There is also the two floors for the regular dining room. You pick which suits you. There is a choice of Main courses from Seafood, Seaks, Ribs, Pasta, an assortment of different salads or anything that you want for appetizers. And let me not forget Wings! an assortment.. There also is deserts & any type of beverage that you could ask for.
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Ebensburg and its environs are pretty crummy for dining, lots of pizza joints, fast food, and cheapjack bars, some with karaoke, so it was nice to see someone try an upscale establishment. Unfortunately, this nice-looking place is about as hit-and-miss as they come. The problem I think is ambition: too many items on the menu. Instead of six good items, they have dozens of mediocre things. (Too much Food Network viewing too--here's a trendy burger between two grilled cheese sandwiches. Oh please stop!). And things are way inconsistent all around. Some nights the crab dip is good; other nights it's old and fishy. The less said about the help the better. Once I actually had to explain to the kiddie waitress and bartender that a Scotch and soda does not mean Scotch mixed with Coca-Cola.

Please listen to me. There aren't too many good places in Cambria County. Off the RAK could be so much better. As it stands now though, it's about half a step up from the Chinese buffet up the road.

1  Thank CAF1129

Reviewed August 20, 2013

So this was my first time to this part of PA, the area is totally rural and the dining options are very limited, a few fast food chains and some truck stop looking places. This restaurant is pretty good. The menu is extensive, which is usually not a good sign of quality food, but our group of 20 was happy with their food. Highly recommend the Loaded fries. The restaurant had several large groups the night we went so service was very slow, but we weren't in a rush so it didn't annoy me as it would have typically. The waiter happily split our checks, the food was nice and hot, drinks from the bar were tasty and not watered down. Pricing was great, my party of 7 had drinks, apps and dinners for a total of $117, not bad....

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We visited the restaurant for lunch and had no trouble getting seated immediately. My guest and I ordered two different sandwiches so we could split and sample. Of the two the chicken sandwich was better, the Pittsburger was too salty/spicy for our liking. The Katy Sue Sundaes were good.

The following week a family member met an old class mate here and they were so disappointed they will neither return or recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I was in town visiting family and they suggested we go here for dinner. This is a casual family restaurant that felt very comfortable.
Two of our table had the deep fried prawns and another had the beef fajita - everyone really liked their food. I ordered a half slab of ribs - and could barely finish because there was so much food. Very tasty!
Service was good as well.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

When visiting Ebensburg we always stop and dine at Off the Rak.food is good and reasonable. No dislikes.