“Where's The Smoke?”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
“Where's The Smoke?”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

I was driving up to Easton PA for a couple of business appointments and I saw an intriguing sign at the Firehouse Plaza. "Fat Daddy's Southern BAR-B-Q." I noted the location and while I attended to my appointments kept thinking of the great meal I would receive as soon as I was finished. I wrapped up and headed back toward my Mecca of Mesquite and Hickory. I pulled in as was immediately concerned because I didn't smell any smoke from a smoker. The next thing I saw raised my hackles a little. It was a sign, "Now Serving Fried Chicken." Well I looked at this little hole in the wall restaurant and wondered what was going on. Where was the aromas and focus on BBQ? The first menu boards were chicken specials, then Tamales and Burritos and finally BBQ. I said howdy and ordered the Pulled Pork South Carolina Style and Baked beans and grabbed a pop from the fridge. My food came up instantly and I noticed a long line of Mustard and Ketchup pump dispensers containing different BBQ sauces. I like a sauce but I always try my first BBQ from a place bare so I can taste the expertise of the grill master. Well the first bite told me. NO GRILLMASTER. It was lukewarm and didn't have any bark or smoke flavor. Worse was for South Carolina, No Vinegar or Mustard flavor. No Tomato base either just bland under seasoned roast pork. I almost cried. I have had BBQ from Texas, Louisiana, Tennessee, North and South Carolina and was never so embarrassed that someone called this BBQ. The service was pleasant and the Baked Beans excellent. (I wish I had ordered just the baked beans).

I had taken a menu for my collection and that's when I noticed. Except for the name BBQ isn't on their hand written looking menu. First Fold has ALL NEW FRIED CHICKEN on one side and Hot Dogs on the other. The flap is sides for the chicken.The center back is Tamales, Burritos and Tex Mex trio. I cannot rate the rest of the menu but if you are looking for BAR-B-Q at Fat Daddy's Southern Bar-B-Q you had better look elsewhere

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank DennisDeitsch

Allentown, PA
“Who would have guessed? Good bbq in Easton!”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I've been going to Fat Daddy's for several years now. My guess is that I've tried everything on the menu. They staff is always friendly and attentive. The 'cue uses real smoke and an in your face rub. The food is good but I think the rub and smoke take to some things better than others. For example: you can't go wrong with the brisket, pulled pork, or half chicken (I feel strongly that this is their best item.) But the ribs, oddly enough, don't interact as well will the boldness of the rub. Do not get the pulled chicken. Several friends have ignored my warning and found it dry and bland; there are so many other better options, but hell you are probably a boring person if this was your choice anyway. Hehe. The food can be very greasy, especially the beef and pork, so be prepared. The lunch cheese steak is awesome (who would have thought smoke would go so well with a cheese steak???) as are the brisket tacos. The sides (I'm thinking collards, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, and cucumber salad) are delicious. The make several of their own sauces - if you like it sweet, hot, or tangy Fat Daddy's will have your flavor. And always, always, ALWAYS order the banana pudding for dessert! Trust me. You'll be happy.

• Visited May 2014
Easton, Pennsylvania
“Good stuff, I'll be back”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Just moved to the township, and was attracted to this place because I've been dying for some pulled pork, and it caught my eye with, well, the big pig adorning the front of the place! I pulled in on a whim and had a good experience. Service was great. I opted for the "make it a meal" option. Any meat with 2 sides and bread. Decent helping for your $. In my travels to the southern states, I've had some indescribably awesome pork- so I am always prepared to be let down, but I have to say this was pretty good stuff! Fridays are all you can eat ribs, so I'm putting it on my to-do list to get over there one of these Fridays and try it out!

• Visited January 2014
Bucks County, PA
“Addicted to the Brisket”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I love pulled pork and that's what I had the first couple times I went to Fat Daddy's. But the instant I tried the brisket, it was all over. I haven't had anything else there since. I live about a half-hour away so it's not real close, but I try to get up there at least once a month when I can. The meats are all smoked on premises, all the sauces are homemade (except the pre-bottled hot sauce, which is plain to see), and all the sides are homemade. The baked items like rolls and cornbread are baked by a nearby shop, so everything's fresh. There's a constant changing parade of baked dessert items, which is always fun -- I like the surprise -- in addition to their ice cream.
I'd give it five stars except that there is some unevenness in both the quality of the service and the food. In both cases, it seems to depend who's working. I was just there a couple nights ago, and I got there just minutes before they closed at 9PM, but the counter gal was so friendly and encouraged me to stay and enjoy my food while she cleaned up. And she was sure to keep her work toward the back of the restaurant where I wouldn't see it and feel rushed. And it was a night where whoever did the cooking did it up right. I do agree with some of the previous comments that every once in a while, the meats are either a little greasy or kind of dry, but it's hit or miss, with far more hits than misses. Which is why I'll always go back. I don't find the prices high like some reviewers have, for this part of the county. For the quantity and usual quality of the food, I think it's priced quite fairly.

• Visited August 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Surprisingly good!!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Was nervous that it wouldn't be very good here in pa but I was very impressed with the quantity and quality of the food. Our party of four were all very pleased with the food. The only grump we have is the size of the drinks.