“Freshest seafood around”

Marblehead Chowder House
Reserve with OpenTable
Marblehead Chowder House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 297 Restaurants in Easton
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: To make reservations, please visit us on Open Table! Founded in 1996 the ideas for the Marblehead Chowder House were actually hatched a few years before. Sitting at "The Barnacle," overlooking Marblehead Harbor one raw winter day, while the spume from the rough saltwater painted the windows and the Sam Adams Lager flowed freely, a concept was born. Casual, coastal and cozy - fresh seafood, fin fish, shellfish and hearty chowders in a warm, relaxing atmosphere that says "seaside" - a place that had tradition, patriotism, and a New England heritage about it. Fresh ingredients, house-made soups and chowders, comfort food with a twist freshly prepared to order were all musts! Features unique to New England were the foundation - Ipswich Belly Clams (aka steamers, softshells, pissers), fresh Lobster Roll, a Raw Bar with half-shell oysters and clams and, of course, live Lobsters arriving regularly. Authenticity was crucial - only without the sea breeze, gulls and scent of saltwater. Lighthouses and other nautical decor highlight the ambience to create a coastal dining experience like none other in the greater Lehigh Valley. Our mission is to provide a great place for our employees to work, enabling them to prepare and serve delicious food in a warm, friendly and efficient manner. We want to assure you, our guest, of a memorable visit and encourage you to tell your friends and return often. Your satisfaction is guaranteed or we will make suitable amends.
Reviewed July 30, 2011

My family and I came for dinner here a few weeks ago. We were early, and it wasn’t that busy. I couldn’t help but overhear a exchange between the hostess and another couple. Apparently she couldn’t get them in and they were not happy. They saw lots of open tables and couldn’t understand it and gave that poor hostess an earful as they were leaving. I applaud her for handling them so well, given he was a real jerk to her. May I just say something here? We go out enough, certainly enough to know that open tables don’t mean there’s no reservations on them. How ignorant can people be? Especially when that particular restaurant takes reservations in the first place. What did that guy want her to do? Seat them, and then ½ hour later kick them out so the people who called ahead could sit there now? I mean seriously people, get a clue! Dinner was excellent, as usual. The seafood is always fresh, and I’m pretty particular when it comes to that. And the service? Beyond excellent. This is not a chain place where young kids just want to make a buck. These people really seem to care that you enjoy yourselves. And it shows. By the time we left, the place was packed. They’re obviously doing something right, because it’s always this way.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,168)

Reviewed February 28, 2011

If I could give it zero stars I would but one star is the minimum. Over the last two years this place has gone from bad to worse. I had a business dinner there a few years ago and the food was so so at best. Then recently I got a gift card for Christmas and decided to give them another try but the service and the food were disturbing. There was a long hair in my food and the manager was "too busy" to come to our table to talk about it. After that the server never came back either. I think the local newspaper, The Morning Call, also published several letters to the editor from unhappy customers. This place is not worth the gas much less the drive. If you want good service and real sea food go to Bonefish Grille or Red Lobster in Allentown. At least the manager will talk to you if there's hair in your food.

5  Thank FoodCritic212
Reviewed February 26, 2010

What a pleasant surprise to discover this gem! We strolled in around 8 pm on a Friday night and were fortunate that the snow had kept some people home so we were promptly seated. The atmosphere was clean New England coastal architecture and decor. The seating wasn't too tight, which was pleasant for conversation.

Our four diners had the tilapia special, broiled seafood platter, salmon oscar and prime rib. My salmon was excellent -- topped with crabmeat and served with fresh asparagus, hollandaise sauce and a side of Old Bay seasoned rice. My husband raved for 20 minutes after we left about how good his seafood platter was. The prime rib was huge, butter tender and hugely enjoyed. The tilapia was also well received.

The place does have great marketing gimmicks to entice diners to return at least monthly. It won't take a gimmick to get us back for a return visit any time we're in from Atlanta!

Reviewed September 18, 2009

After more than ten meals here, I am confident saying their food is inconsistent in quality, however always pricey for what it is.

Their marketing and games are what keeps this place packed; it's not the food.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed February 23, 2008

reasonable prices, food was tasty, casual atmosphere. worth checking out.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook