“Not for me”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Not for me”
Reviewed March 20, 2009

After reading the reviews on here about the Quadrant Book Mart, I thought I would give it a try while I was in Easton. I am a book lover and enjoy a cute place to grab a bite.

It looked as I expected, a small building with a bit of clutter. I didn't see a ton of books when I walked in, but I was hungry so I headed for the "dining room."

It was small, cramped and a little dirty. There were only a few tables, most were occupied and the others hadn't been cleared off from the previous patrons. Eventually, I grabbed a table and swindled some chairs from other parties to sit down.

The two woman running the kitchen were clearly over their head with the customers they had. I found myself some menus and was even more disappointed with the lunch options. There were only a few sandwiches and they were over priced for what it was, in my opinion. The breakfast options did look good, and other people seemed to be enjoying them. I was turned off by the tiny "kitchen" that looked more like a deli bar and was exposed to everyone.

I eventually got tired of waiting for someone to acknowledge us and decided to leave. I am from a more built up area than Easton, so perhaps I was expecting too much. I think maybe I would try it again for a cup of tea or something, but I wouldn't bank on it for a good meal.

2 Thank Weekender26

easton
“Perfect”
Reviewed March 27, 2008

Good eats, good price, good reading, good art. What else can you ask for? Try the biscuit in gravy!!

Ryan Wise
[--]

Philadelphia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A quaint and cheerful experience”
Reviewed February 29, 2008

This place is a gem in the rough. The owners are down to earth and very helpful. The food is delicous and has vegetarian friendly options. If you love books and coffee this is the site for you. I felt welcomed to browse and read through anything I discovered. I will certainly come again.

1 Thank bikmount
baltimore, md
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“I was treated like an intruder.”
Reviewed July 12, 2007

From the moment I arrived at the Quadrant, I was almost assaulted with some of the most clique-ish snobbery I've ever seen.
When I asked about the local sights, owner "Jo" immediately switched into 'gripe' mode about everything and anyone she could seem to remember at the moment. Very negative, except when discussing what THEY had 'done for the community'.
This is NOT the way to give someone a good impression of your city, or of yourself.
When I started browsing the racks for interesting books, I met owner "Andy". He was almost helpful in finding books on my interests, if just a tad snobby about it. Then he just got downright rude. When I asked whether a certain classical theological poet would be found in the religion or poetry sections, his reply was to look in the trash, since that was where it belonged, due to the religious aspect.
I don't begrudge anyone their politics or religious beliefs (or lack of them) by any means... but when you use it as a launching point to insult others' beliefs, you cannot expect to be respected.

Also, I do not want to cast aspersions on anyone's behaviour, or make false accusations, but it was fairly apparent that "Andy" had spent some amount of time that morning drinking. (this was about 10:30 AM) Based on his breath, his demeanor, slight slurr in speech and the cheap bottle on his desk/table, it was pretty obvious.

All in all, this was a terrible experience. I had never been to the Quadrant before, and can promise you I'll never return.
I'll also warn off anyone I know who considers it, for their own sake.
They have ruined my entire perception of Easton, in general.

11 Thank truthincarnate
Easton, PA
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Local Coffee House & Bookmart”
Reviewed May 1, 2005

The Quadrant Bookmart & Coffee House on Third Street in historic downtown Easton, PA has been an institution for almost 40 years in Easton. Current owners Jo and Andy serve a very local crowd of artists and Lafayette college students strong coffee, breakfast and lunch fare and three floors of rare and used books in a charming old brick structure that was once slated to be torn down during the "urban renewal" efforts of the late 1960s. A hangout for friends, locals and people passing through.

7 Thank Easton_PAJohn