“Good place”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Asbury, New Jersey
“Good place”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Tried Maxim's 22 for the first time. Called ahead for preferred seating and the four of us were seated immediately upon arrival. Our server was very familiar with the menu and was able to accurately describe all of the options. Food and service was very good. Prices were not unreasonable. There were a couple of things that could have made this a better experience. First- the beer choices! Twenty two beers on tap and nothing more to go on than their names listed on the drink menu. NOT very helpful. They really need to have a bit of a description of each of the beers. The server was able to describe any that we asked about and made a couple of suggestions. However, a brief blurb written on the drink menu about them would have made this process a LOT simplier. Second- they had a pretty extensive selection of 'specials' on Friday evening and she was able to describe each one. But there were too many to keep track of. Having them written down so the table could read them would have helped. Third- this was an observation of the other couple we were with - every time the server was describing any aspect of the menu she referred to the choices in terms of..."I have for you...." as opposed to ..."We have...". I didn't really notice it, but the other couple felt this was pretty pretentious. In retrospect, I see their point. I'm sure this is how she is trained to present the choices so I am not claiming it was HER. This one I can overlook but after a while it did grate on me too. Overall, we were happy with our decision to try Maxim's and will go back.

Coopersburg
“Very fast and friendly service”
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

We were going to a show at the state theater, Sat in traffic for an hour and 1/2. We missed our dinner reservation.
We only had 45 minutes to have dinner. We didn't want fast food. We decided to walk in and asked if we would make the show if we had dinner there. Maxim delivered great food and customer service. They were true to their word, we made the show with plenty of time. Everyone was very nice and accommodating. We are definitely going back.

• Visited April 2013
“Very disappointing night out with great friends!”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My wife and I had been asked by some great friends to enjoy an unusual night out without the kids. The four of us decide excitedly to try Maxim 22 in Easton for the first time...reservations were made in advance for 7:30. We arrived a few minutes early and were told it will be about another 15 minutes ( actually about 20 and two cocktails at the bar). Thankfully the bar had a few seats available and we were greeted with decent service. The hostess came by and informed us that our table was ready...we were taken to a back room that was very cozy and decorated with some amazing French art work...total of five tables (four 4 tops and a large table 6/8). Everyone one of the tables were empty, but place settings arranged nicely. So the first question that came to mind, why the 20 minute wait when no one was sitting back there before us...I also noticed the seven other people (2 groups) that came into Maxim 22 while I held the door for them, sat down at two of the tables next to ours after us. After a few minutes the waitress came over and introduced herself...she was a little frazzled and overwhelmed, later to find out it was her first night at Maxim 22... She was pulled from Senta Luna to work...she was not the most helpful with the menu, but did an average job when she paid attention to our table. After about another 15 minutes our table placed our order...we did get appetizers and various entrées. The meal started out great with an amazing two appetizers who were presented to us by two other waitresses or runners? My second question that concerned me was, if our main waitress was not bringing our food why didn't she have enough time to stop by and check on us, our drinks? I sat for ten minutes with an empty cocktail and was limited to sip on my water... The appetizers we tried, baked Brie and scallop app were very good! Our entrees came out about 15 minutes after completing our appetizers. Again brought out by runners...no sign of waitress? Of the four dinners, pork shank, New York strip steak, chicken dish, and the blue burger...only one was really satisfactory. The pork dish was very nice and my wife was very satisfied with her dish. The New York strip arrived with the wrong topping sauce...our friend tried to be patient, but did not like the other topping...she sent the steak back and requested the correct topping. A new steak arrived back as the rest of us were about half complete with our meals...however it was very unusual looking...the steak looked white? It looked like pork? It did not taste well at all as we attempted to determine what it was? Questions at the table arrived...did they just wash the strip off with water? Did the microwave a second steak? Was it pork? We are all still in awe and questioning what took place....the chicken dish was very dry...the blue burger was ok, but the fries were extremely salty...they were good, but very salty? I also order a cup of French onion soup that has an unusual sauce taste. I tried to eat half of it...don't recommend the soup!
Even with all the issues and our meal not the most satisfying the four of us were very open minded and excepting of what took place until a man named Josh came to our table...it was mentioned that he was the manager or owner. He was very defensive of everything we tried to discuss with him...this was the icing on the cake for all of us...no dessert...lets get out of here! We did not get charged for the steak, but I was hoping for a little better hospitality!
Overall...poor service, poor food, and a very rude and unusual manager/owner....we will not attend this restaraunt again and will let many of our friends and colleges know to stay away!

1 Thank Kmetsman
Bangor, Pennsylvania, United States
“Former Pomeroys now a French Bistro Restaurant”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Had dinner there on a recent Saturday night. Did not take reservations however they accept call ahead. It wasn't busy and our party of four was seated immediately. Service was good however our waitress's attitude toward our group was a bit snooty. We did not appreciate her "better than you" approach to us. Thankfully the food was exceptional. French soup very good, fries excellent, salmon done to perfection. Filet mignon was large and cooked as ordered. Extensive craft beers and nice French wine selection. Expect to pay premium $$$ at this restaurant and if you have the misfortune to have the waitress we had be sure to brush up on your french so you don't have to ask her any questions about the menu. My lower rating reflects the negative feel we received from her. A small complaint, the metal seats were uncomfortable for larger bottoms. Definitely worth a second visit, nice atmosphere and beautiful bar.

• Visited March 2013
philadelphia
“French Flavor”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My lovely wife and I visited Maxim 22 with some friends before a performance at the nearby State Theatre. Since it was an early performance (6:00 PM), we started our late lunch/early dinner around 4:00PM on a Saturday afternoon. Consequently we could not order from the dinner menu which starts at 5:00PM, but we could order any lunch items on the menu and a number of other items from the evening menu. The restaurant is very handsome with an authentic French bistro flair, very similar to the restaurant Parc on Rittenhouse Square in Philadelphia. Although the tables are packed in, the restaurant was not full during our early dinner. One minor issue, the metal chairs have no cushions on them at all. A little unforgiving on the bottom after a leisurely, lengthy french meal.

Although our food choices were limited by the time of day of our meal, everything we ordered was first class. The french onion soup gratin had a deep, rich flavor and just the right amount of cheese. The grilled salmon on lentils was perfectly grilled, moist and full of flavor. The salad nicoise was delicious, with a healthy serving of rare seared tuna, fingerling potatoes, green beans, olives, orange colored grape size tomatoes and hard boiled eggs, with a perfectly seasoned vinaigrette dressing. Likewise, the hamburger and goat cheese and beet salad was very satisfying and tasty. Finally, the apple tart with ice cream and a caramel sauce was a sweet ending to a very lovely, light late afternoon dinner.

All in all a good meal at a reasonable price. However, many of the entrees on the dinner menu were much pricier, but that would not stop me from going back and trying them given the high quality of the less expensive items we ordered. Service was fast, friendly and personable as you would hope for and expect at an off peak hour. Do not hesitate to try this newcomer to Easton. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited March 2013

Been to Maxim's 22? Share your experiences!