“TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Northampton Street
Description: State Cafe & Grill. A new breed of American eatery, great food with excellent service, comfortable atmosphere and exceptional value. Serving American cuisine with a cosmopolitan twist.
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My wife and I had recently had our wedding rehearsal dinner at the State Cafe & Grill. The restaurant used to be open everyday but now only opens for private parties and nights there is a show at the nearby theater. I figured since they aren't open that much they would excel on the nights they were open and for the parties they host. I was wrong!

My wife and I were busy talking to all of our guests the night of the event and did not realize that our food order was not completed in full. When we later inquired about getting compensation for the unfulfilled order we initially were offered a just and fair cash compensation by Juan, the owner. Moments later we were contacted by Melanie, the wife of the owner, she was serving bar the night of our party. Melanie alleged that we brought extra guests to the party and exceeded the amount we contracted for. She stated since we had more guests than agreed upon that we were not entitled to any compensation. Reluctantly, and after several complaint calls, Melanie offered us compensation 1/3 of the amount initially offered by her husband. We have offered photographic evidence to verify we did not have any extra guests to prove our account of that night. On the contrary, Melanie has offered nothing to support her claim of extra guests other than her verbal count that night that was not brought to our attention until we complained about the food we paid for but did not receive. When asked why she didn't tell us the night of the party about the extra guests she alleged we had, she stated that she was doing a favor by letting it slide.

It is a shame that there is no doubt that they did not live up to their end of dinner agreement and have countered with a claim that they can't prove. It is also disappointing to have been initially offered a fair resolution only to have that offer taken back moments later.

Please be VERY cautious when considering booking your party here. If you get poor service do NOT expect anything to change when you bring it to their attention. In fact, the service will likely just get worse. I know it did for us. In my opinion the risk is NOT worth any potential reward. There are many other options in the Easton area which should be considered. Proceed with caution!!

1  Thank Patrick J
There are newer reviews for State Grill and Cafe

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Apparently, they are only open when the State Theater has a show and that's far too infrequent! The food is superb. They easily accommodate special requests and the service was just right. The atmosphere is a little schizophrenic. 1/3 neighborhood bar, 1/3 restaurant kitchen and 1/3 hip restaurant, but that's ok. Definitely call for reservations, because when the theater has a show, nearly every restaurant within a 5 mile radius is overbooked for the night. Fortunately, most people don't know about the State Grill, so you can probably get in.

1  Thank justxlns
Reviewed February 19, 2012

DO NOT GO to the State Cafe & Grill if you expect to be served in time to make it to the State Theater for a show. We arrived at 5:15 for dinner. At 6:30 we still had not received our entree and had to leave for the show without being able to eat dinner! It is only 1/2 block from the theater and is a great place to stop in for a drink, nice relaxed atmosphere - But service is painfully slow.

Melanie M, Owner at State Grill and Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2012

Dear Customer, we truly apologize for your experience. We always focus on delivering great food and service to our customers, at all times. We invite you back for dinner on us. Please email me at Juan@statecafeandgrill.com.to make a reservation.

Juan Martinez
Owner

Reviewed July 23, 2011

I am amazed that there are not more reviews of this bistro in downtown Easton. I dined there last night with my daughter -- at the recommendation of the Weyerbacher Brewery website. I am always in search of places with good, flavorful cusine and local atmosphere at reasonable prices. (If you read my other reviews, you'll see that I can be pretty harsh if it doesn't fit the bill). The restaurant is in right in downtown, on a side street with some wonderful restored houses. There was a nice church picnic going on just up the street. Plenty of street parking. We got there fairly late so there wasn't a big crowd. We didn't sit at the bar so I can't comment on that. We had a simple dinner (soup and salads). Nonetheless, our fish chowder was exquisite and our salads were fresch and delicious. Our server was enthusiastic and energetic. This is not a white tablecloth place, but the decor is stylish and modern. They have everything on the menu from fairly sophisticated entrees to burgers (what a relief to have the choice!). A reasonable and not-too-fancy wine list And they carry some wonderful draft beers including Weyerbacher. But most of all we thought that our dinner was excellent. State Grill and Cafe met my criteria for good food, local interest, and good value.

2  Thank Eigmgmt
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We have been to the State Grill and Cafe at least a dozen times - from happy hour, to dinner, to Sunday breakfast. We really like the owners, bartenders, and the staff, who are friendly and accomodating. They really care if you like the food and drinks, and that you have a good time. Great drink list - I especially love the Ultimate Margarita - worth $9 for sure. Appetizers - the steamed clams are specials in the summer, and anytime, the grilled chicken nachos are great. Burgers, sandwiches and wraps are generous portions and served with spicy or beer-battered fries. The owner is from the Dominican Republic, so many of the entrees have a tropical flare, tropical seasoning. I love the salmon tostada - awesome. Pasta and chicken dishes are great too. I like an Irish coffee for dessert. Sunday breakfast is great, with all kinds of omelets and egg and potato dishes. We have had a good time whenever we've been there. The restaurant is near the State Theater, so call ahead if you are going to show so you get reservations in enough time to see your show. Definitely good value and a good time. Enjoy! (PS, the owners make a mission trip to the Dominican every year and take food, clothing, toys, etc to people there - Juan and his wife are a great couple with big hearts. They are opening a new burrito restaurant this fall near Lafayette College. AND the State Cafe and Grill won the prize in last year's Garlic Fest in downtown Easton with their garlic pulled pork - awesome.)

3  Thank Sue G