“Good but not great mid price extended hotel”

TownePlace Suites Bethlehem Easton
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Easton
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have stayed four times at this hotel, the last two times were extended stays (47 days and 12 days) so I had the chance to see all the pros and cons of this property. I am also a Marriott Gold customer 4 years running so I see a wide variety of good and not as good Marriott, Residence Inn and Towneplace properties.

The positives
- Good sized rooms, kitchens have microwaves, two burner stoves and a full refrigerator with separate freezer
- Large closet! Especially appreciated during long term stays!
- Friendly staff at Front Desk
- Good exercise room
- Good Laundry facilities
- Range of Restaurants and grocery stores within a 1/4 mile. Including Target and Walmart! Very convenient!

The Less Than Positives
- Cleaning Staff is inconsistent. Some staff are very thorough, others are down right lousy. Frustrating after a long work day to come to a room not well kept (for long term stays, be aware the hotel does not have daily housekeeping by the way, only a 'refresh' every other day, and a full clean once a week. Would not be an issue if on the days they refresh or clean the job was done properly
Some of the sofa's or side chairs are really worn. In my last stay the side chair looked as if a dog had scratched the cushion. time to start renovating/rehabbing furniture.
- Do not stay on the east side of the hotel! Windows are sealed real well and this side of the hotel faces highway 33. Lots of truck traffic especially in the morning.
- However on the west side, south end, the trash dumpsters are right outside your window. And they have trash pick up at least 5 days a week AT 5;00/5:30 AM!!! Really Towneplace Suites? Come on, the rubbish company can't come after 8am? Major irritation!
- Hotel General Manager was not always responsive. Once sent her an email AND left a message for her at the front desk. Never heard from her, until I sent a second and then a third email. And no apology for not being responsive.
- The breakfast is ok, but few healthy options, and there are only so many days you can eat yogurt.
- The hotel does not have a liquor license therefore there is no beer or wine in the on site market. Not a major flaw, but since Most grocery stores and convenience stores can't sell beer due to PA law, just be aware.

Bottom line....if you have a business relocation this is a good option, the best in Easton and second best I have found in the Lehigh Valley. Front desk staff is very friendly, and most importantly, good value for the price charged!

Room Tip: Get a room on the west side of the hotel, and ask for a fourth floor room!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank GWade91302
Jaimee U, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Bethlehem Easton, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Hello George,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I always appreciate honesty in our reviews so we can pinpoint any failings and make sure we focus on correcting them. I am happy to say that since your last stay with us our housekeeping department is now fully staffed and each room attendant has been trained. Normally for longer stays our guests do not want service every day instead preferring the Full Clean once a week with Refreshes every other day. Our housekeeping program is customizable and services can be added or removed per the guest request. I regret you were not made aware of this option during your stay with us. I have addressed this issue with the staff at our Daily meeting after reading your review. I am happy to report that our furniture is getting the overhaul it needs. After complaints from hoteliers nationwide the company that supplied the furniture has taken responsibility for the fabric failing so quickly and will be replacing it. While having the highway so close and accessible can be a boon sometimes it also can be a bane. We have sought out solutions to the sounds from the freeway. We currently have ear plugs and a nature sounds machine available at the front desk, while we seek out other options. When guests ask for the quiet side of the hotel we always do our best to meet that request and make sure they are away from the highway side. The trash collectors come 3 days a week and I’ve been consistently working with our rep to make sure they pick up after 8 AM. They are usually very good about it until there is a route change and they unfortunately see us as a pick up and don’t take into consideration that we are a hotel. That’s when they get a call from me. Unfortunately you stayed with us during the dreadful 3 day internet outage of 2013. I do remember you reaching out to me in January when the internet went down in our region. I did speak with you over the phone and by email while we were working on the issue. I do absolutely apologize for not getting back to you if you sent another email. I promise I didn’t get one. I agree with you. It is a true failing to not respond at all. I am sorry. This spring we more than doubled our internet speeds and updated our hotel routers. When you come back in the future you will find that amenity much improved. We are constantly looking for ways to improve so I do thank you again for providing an honest opinion.
Jaimee Umstattd

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have stayed here several times, with upcoming future reservations. Very clean and the staff is amazingly friendly and helpful. Convenient location to area shopping, restaurants, etc. Never a disappointment!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
MarriottTownePlace, Manager at TownePlace Suites Bethlehem Easton, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thanks Theresa, for your wonderful review! It is our pleasure to host you here at our Marriott and we look forward to seeing you again.

Yours in Hospitality,

Erin Collins

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I've stayed here several times and the quality is always good. Clean. Front desk is pleasant. They have a diverse snack area that is open 24 hours. The included breakfast is average for this type of hotel....waffle maker, cereals, muffins, juices, coffee, tea, fruits, yogurt. Nice flat-screen TV in the room. Good shower in the average sized bathroom.

Room Tip: If the handicapped accessible room is available, it is very spacious!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Hello 1TheSmith1,

Thanks for your great review of our Marriott, we always like to hear that our Staff and Services are well received.

Kindest Regards,

Erin Collins

Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at this location a bunch of times. I've waited to review so I can get a fair sampling. The result is a consistent quality stay at a classic hotel. Overall its a first class property. Superb location ideal to highways,shopping,restaurants.
Kudos to Jamie,Edwin,Charisma and staff for offering the best service they all go the extra mile to make your stay perfect.
Breakfast is a nice touch, business center is a bonus. I would like to see them add a color printer, it would Be great for business documents. I look forward to each and every stay here its always s pleasure.

• Stayed: April 2013
MarriottTownePlace, Manager at TownePlace Suites Bethlehem Easton, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Hello BigLNY77,

Thank you so much for your Review, we are genuinely happy that you are satisfied with our Marriott and the service we offer here. Our staff with be happy to see that you appreciate them. Hope to host you again soon!

Erin Garnick

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The first room we were assigned smelled very bad of cigarette smoke. After informing the front desk, we were offered another room. The room was clean and provided everything we needed. There were two of the three lights out in the bathroom over the vanity mirror. Our room wasn't far off the lobby and the noise level was quite loud until around 2:00 am and then started up again around 5:30 am. We also got noise from the nearby elevator. Good thing we didn't plan on using the exercise room as there were several unsupervised small children just running around in it. The breakfast offered the basic items; however, the breakfast preparation and dining areas could be larger as seating was difficult to obtain. The location of the hotel is great - there are many restaurants and stores very close.

Room Tip: Request a room not on the first floor and not near the elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
MarriottTownePlace, Manager at TownePlace Suites Bethlehem Easton, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Hello FlyEagle,

Thank you so much for reviewing our Hotel. I apologize that one of our Guests refused to adhere to Marriott’s 100% Non Smoking Policy! Our Quiet Hours are 10 PM- 7 AM and we strictly enforce this provided that we know there is a disturbance. We invite you back to give us another try to and show you why we are leaders in the Hospitality Industry!

Kindest Regards,

Erin Garnick

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Our truck towing our 30ft camping trailer broke down on I 78. The kind guy in the welcome center helped find us a room while we waited for the tow truck. This was the only place he found that would take us and our dog ( $100 charge). We knew we would need 3 or 4 nights. It was late Saturday and no work could be done or rental car found until Monday.When we checked in we told
the woman at the desk that we did not know whether we needed 3 or 4 nights. She told us that we just needed to let the desk know by Tuesday morning if we needed the 4th night. Monday we finally got a rental car and the garage first told us the car would be ready midday Tues. and the cost would be $3500 plus tax several hours later he called back to tell us it wouldn't be ready till after 6pm. So we called the desk and told them we would be staying the 4th night. They said they were full up and we would have to leave by noon. Of course by now we were at the end of our rope. My Husband went down to talk to the manager who was busy on the phone and could not talk to him. The man on the desk said he could give us a list of other hotels to call. My husband said that they could call and to have the manager call him when she got off the phone.
That was over an hour ago and we have not heard back from them.

Room Tip: the rooms at the west end are further from Rt. 33 and might be quieter. Although there are stores a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank images99
MarriottTownePlace, Front Office Manager at TownePlace Suites Bethlehem Easton, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we really appreciate it! We had been sold out for that particular Tuesday night for the last two weeks, so I'm sorry that having to switch hotels had added to your stress. However, I'm very happy that I was able to find another hotel for you and your husband at a great rate, and one that also accepted your pet. I hope that you enjoyed your stay with us for the few days that you were with us, and I hope you returned home safely.

Looking forward to hosting you again!

Brittany Smith
Front Office Manager

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed there recently for two nights. Both nights I was woken up several times by a very strong odor of cigarette smoke. It was disgusting! I spoke to the girl at the desk and she said that it is a common occurrence and that they do their best to discourage people from smoking in the rooms. Well, I've stayed at lots of places that claim to be nonsmoking and was never bothered like this! I was on the 4th floor and it smelled like someone was smoking inside of the room...I would not recommend this place because of that. It was overpriced and this was not somewhere I would return.

In addition, the room service did not do a good job between the two days. They came and smoothed the covers out but that was it...no new towels, soap, trash removed...okay, I guess you're trying to go green?

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Jaimee U, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Bethlehem Easton, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Hello,
I again would like to apologize for the inconsiderate guests that ignored our Smoke Free Policy. We have tried to reinforce that our hotel as a Marriott is definitely Smoke Free by having window clings at every entrance, inserts in our Key Packets alerting guests to the Smoke Free Principle, as well as mentioning the $250 charge associated with violation of the policy it in the GM letter on the room refrigerator and the key packet. We understand that cigarette smoke is extremely invasive. Nearly all public areas including hotel rooms are smoke-free environments which is why there are smoking urns outside of each entrance on the property. It is not a common event for a guest to break this policy so by following several other complaints and observations we were able to track down the guilty party. They since have paid the $250 Smoke Free Environment charge. We perform a special deep clean of a room when it is smoked in. The charge may seem high but it helps compensate for the damages done. I hope you will use the night I reimbursed to give us another chance.
Kindest regards,
Jaimee Umstattd

Also consider these accommodations in or near Easton
Hampton Inn Easton
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 7 in Easton
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bethlehem

Been to TownePlace Suites Bethlehem Easton? Share your experiences!