“Great Time for Little Boys”

National Canal Museum
Ranked #6 of 26 things to do in Easton
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit the only museum that tells the story of America's coal-carrying canals and how they ignited America's Industrial Revolution. Experience hands-on educational exhibitions, extensive historical archives & collections, and the historic locktender's house and garden. You can also take a ride on Pennsylvania's only mule-drawn canal boat ride.
Reviewed August 13, 2011

My boys absolutely loved this museum. Given the target audience (being attached to Crayola), it was a perfect fit for my 3 boys (5 and under). It was the only redeeming thing from the entire visit to Crayola!

Reviewed August 5, 2011

As an adult, the museum itself was rather lame. My husband and I expected there to be more historical exhibits, not just a big area for kids to play with the boats. We pretty much walked in just to walk right back out again. Through the museum we booked a canal ride at Hugh Moore Park. That was much more worth it and highly recommended. Being such a hot day and a weekday, my husband and I were the only ones for our time slot. The boat is quite big. It’s amazing that it’s pulled by just two mules though as our tour guide told us, it’s actually not as hard for the mules as it might seem. Our guide was very knowledgeable, giving us a good idea and understanding in the history of canals and she answered every question that we threw at her. The ride was nice and peaceful, maybe about 20 minutes long. There was another museum right by the canal that was much better than the one by the Crayola Factory. It was a lot more informative and also had some hands on things to do.

Overall, I would rate the National Canal Museum a two but with the added things that we did, it easily earns a four.

5  Thank MrsLisaT
Reviewed July 12, 2011

At first, the canal driving activity was ok. Then, everything got worse. I almost got a cold from touching the cold water for to long. The museum was too tiny to be national and it wasn't very historic. There were mostly just fake mules and boats. I didn't like my visit!

2  Thank prplninja
Reviewed August 14, 2010

This museum is a waste of time unless your goal is to amuse your children with hands-on exhibits. There are lots of them, but very little history or knowledge is gained by adults visiting the museum. As visitors wander through the 2 floors of the National Canal Museum, you OCCASIONALLY stubble across something historic or educational. Its all about the raucous kids running and screeming throughout both floors. I hated this museum.

2  Thank JohnHough3
Reviewed June 29, 2010

The National Canal Museum is a great museum for kids. There are plenty of hands on exhibits so that they can understand the physics of water and weight and how it lead to the development of the canal systems in the early 1800s in the United States, There is a complete canal system in the hands on exhibit, Waterworks. Here each person gets a toy canal boat and takes it through a series of locks and dams over a mountain to deliver a load. Be prepared to get wet and learn.

For a 'National' museum, there is very little in the way of artifacts and photos. There is not much on the history of the rise and fall of the canal systems in the United States.