“Kids had fun”

Ranked #1 of 2 Fun & Games in Easton
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Crayola Experience is bursting with 26 exciting hands-on activities where you can name and wrap your own Crayola crayon, star in your own coloring page and so much more!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Stroller parking, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
New Jersey
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Kids had fun”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I thought it was a bit expensive for what they gave you. It was just OK. The kids had fun, but it is not what I really expected. I don't think I will go back.

Visited November 2011

Philadelphia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Good for kids, not bad for grown-ups”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I came here with our six-year-old, our two-year-old, and my parents. There were plenty of other children there, but enough space that no one was tripping over anyone - this was on a sunny Saturday in October 2012. The individual activities, while not much more than you could put together at home, took on a little more interest for several reasons. First, preparation and cleanup was handled by the staff. Second, there were enough individual activities that a short time at one station was made up for by a longer time at another. Third, the Crayola people are careful to see that guests see a pretty wide range of their products. Everyone has crayons, most people have markers, some have Crayola's answer to Play-doh - but I've never thought to melt a bunch of red crayons together and then paint with them (my own favorite part).

Additionaly, there is an exhibit on the third floor on how a typical canal works, including working models, with water, of locks. Kids can use the model locks to see how boats were raised and lowered over terrain changes along a canal (the same process is used for the Panama canal, so it's not just a historical curiosity). It's a fairly quick exhibit, but it goes through an imaginary journey from here to there, not just some random disjoint mechanical examples. It's also a brief break from overt Crayola products.

The biggest downside isn't really Crayola's fault. Parking in downtown Easton is pricey, and Easton has some tough neighborhoods only a few blocks away. I've never had trouble (I'm originally from a western suburb of Easton), but it bears mentioning.

I do advise parents to stay with their kids, not just because it's good parenting and politeness, but because it's fun to play with crayons with your kids. One station had unwrapped crayons and metal texture plates and precut paper to make texture rubbings. At one point all six of us were doing them.

We spent four hours, and left when we did mainly to get an early seating for dinner out. We probably could have spent six hours if we hadn't had dinner plans.

Make sure to see the live demonstration - it's done on older equipment, but it clearly shows how crayons are (were) made, and they do give each child one at the end.

If you're there without kids, do understand that the entire exhibit is intended for little kids; therefore, there will be lots of little kids around.

Is it advertising? Of course it is. But I probably wouldn't go to the National Crayon Museum (is there one?).

Why no fifth star? A touch bigger, with a few more exhibits and stations, with a little more direction from staff, would be great.

Visited October 2012
Long Valley, New Jersey
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Much fun for kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

My nephews had a blast running from project to project, playing with the craft "dough", and using their coins to "purchase" the crayons and markers. We were literally there all day long and it was so worth the trip. Plus the waterway museum upstairs was a blast for them, too,with plenty for them to play with and learn. Will absolutely be back again and again!

Visited December 2011
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“It's a way to kill time while passing through Easton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

While I get my fill of crayons at home. This place is great for seeing how crayons and markers are made..let the kids run loose in the place it's a good way to kill time. It only take about 2 hours to see all. No food to buy on site!

Pennsylvania
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Horrible and rage inducing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Start to finish:
The "show" about how crayons are made: The room was horribly planned. If you were in the back, you could not see the man behind the glass. They attempted to remedy this by having tv screens mounted up high. Of course, any child not lifted up high would have to crane her neck to see the tvs. They should have sloped the room and provided more seating. There was only seating for about 30-40 people at best and the rest were left to stand around. The "demonstration" was lackluster, lacked any energy, any relatability and any interest. It was a guy rambling aimlessly. I came today hoping to get a visual "eureka" moment for my intelligent three year old about how they make crayons. I found myself having to narrate for her what we were watching on tv. We could have stayed home and watched a program on tv and saved the $12 admission.

Next, the painting on a wooden block and transferring it to a paper bag. There was one woman behind a counter who was doing nothing to explain. People kept pressing the bag on the wooden block before they had painted it. She kept literally snatching the bag away from them. At one point, I asked if it was melted wax (I didn't realize it was paint) because they had you putting your painted bag through a drying machine. I guess my brain thought wax because a thin layer of paint would dry on its own. When I asked her that, she gave me a snippy answer. Then, I asked if the paint was washable. Okay, maybe a dumb question but I'm sorry if my three year old has not yet owned stock and we don't know the entire marketing plan of Crayola. She rudely told me everything is washable. Eventually, I said "Well, I'm sorry if I don't know everything since I haven't been here before. Maybe you should not be working here." She actually admitted "Yeah, maybe I shouldn't." But, then as I walked away, she cowardly yelled after me that maybe I should be more patient. Pot calling the kettle black.

The rest of the place was just chaotic with rude parents cutting in front of my little girl and nearly stepping on her many times. Their kids were just as bad.

There was zero "flow" to the place and zero methods of crowd control. Everything was just frenetic and randomly laid out.

We will not be back.

P.S. I would not recommend for anyone under 5 and for any adult who wants to keep their sanity.

Visited October 2012