“Check-In Issues”

Budget Inn & Suites
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Check-In Issues”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I recently stayed at the Budget Inn to attend a nearby wedding. At first appearances, I was pleasantly surprised - the Inn looks recently remodeled and had a nice bar/restaurant in the lobby. It is also conveniently located right off I-80.

We arrived a bit early and checked in even though our room wasn't going to be ready until close to 2:00 (the posted check-in time). We left to grab some lunch and came back at 2:00 - our room was still not ready. We were told our room was still being cleaned. Being understanding and patient, we waited in the lobby (with other wedding guests whose rooms were also still being cleaned).

Around 2:45 I asked if our room was going to be ready (I was getting a bit nervous because we needed to get ready for a 3:30 wedding and were already going to miss the 3:00 shuttle to the wedding). I was given a key to a room. We uploaded our car and headed to the room. Well...the room was already occupied. Luckily, the couple I barged in on was understanding (and fully clothed). Without an apology from the front desk for this mistake, we were assigned the correct room.

The room itself was standard and clean, with a flat screen television, microwave, and fridge. However, the towels smelled like cigarette smoke.

Overall, we were greatly inconvenienced by having to wait 45 minutes past check-in time to get our room. I think if the posted check-in time says 2:00, you should have your rooms ready at that time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LaWhitt
PPAINPA, General Manager at Budget Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. So you know, we advise every group, especially brides, that although we do state check-in time is anytime after 2:00 pm, not all 112 of our rooms will be ready at that time. Our check-out is at 11 am, and, with late check-out requests and large numbers of wedding guests arriving all at mostly the same time, it is physically impossible to clean 112 rooms in less than 3 hours. We do apologize for your delay, but we do inform our brides so they may inform their guests of the potential delays at check-in. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts on Trip Advisor.

Paul Antosh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Czech first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My travel companion and myself read reviews to find hotels that are moderately priced and clean. Don't let the "budget" in Budget Inn & Suites fool you. This is a first rate place to stay. By far it was the cleanest hotel we ever stayed at. The room was updated and every thing worked perfect. The complementary breakfast was a home cooked meal, better than any breakfast we had at a restaurant. This is a privately owned hotel that the owner and staff truly take pride in. We are planning another trip around this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WellsL
We're glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return! Did you get a change to taste our Homemade Busicuts with our hand made sausage gravy at breakfast??? It's really great!

Hope to see you soon...

Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My adult daughter and I stayed at the Budget Inn & Suites as the first stop of her move from NYC to Portland, OR. After a day of packing, it was a short drive to East Stroudsburg, PA. We opted for the "upgraded room" - $7.00 more - 2 queen beds in their newly renovated section. The beds were quite comfortable although the pillows were not (but then I'm "funny" about pillows). The room was clean, well-appointed, and best of all, no lingering smoke odor - or the awful deodorizers that are meant to mask smoke odors. My only complaint is that the towels were threadbare and small.

The restaurant downstairs had a surprisingly good dinner - I had a caprese sandwich with delicious fresh basil and tomatoes... The continental breakfast offered choices for all types of eaters - healthy fare to food for those who are trying to pack on the pounds - and friendly service from the waitress who offered coffee.

I'd stay again without hesitation!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank cdh51
We hope the rest of the move to Oregon went well..... As you noted, we are just a short 90 minute drive from the George Washington Bridge! We pleased you enjoyed your stay and dinner with us.... As you know, everything we serve is homemade right here in our kitchens by our staff, unlike many of the chain restaurants today. We appreciate you being our guest.
Pocono Summit, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I have to tell u after a hard nights work I stayed at the Budget Inn & Suites in East Stroudsburg and I felt like Goldilocks! Lol. I've stayed at other hotels from N.Y. To Vegas, the beds were too soft or too hard. I checked in at the Budget Inn & Suites in East Stroudsburg, JUST RIGHT! I had the most incredible nights sleep on the perfect mattress and fresh linen that just put me on cloud nine dreams floating in comfort! It was WONDERFUL! Before I went to my room I peeked in the restaurant, JR's Grill and Salad Bar and saw the best looking and freshest salad bar stocked to the hilt with favorites for everyone! I decided I have to try it next time, especially after I saw a sizzling hot Prime Rib being served with veggies and a baked potato u could see the steam radiate off of! Budget Inn & Suites you've got my vote when I'm in the area! Thanks to all who were so nice and cordial at the front desk. It wasn't even a hassle, I was checked in in less than a minute! Thanks again!

Room Tip: If u need some rest away from home, Check it out! It's right off of 80, SO CONVENIENT!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank James D
It's always nice to share our guests' comments with our entire staff. We appreciate your kind words and will definately pass them along to everyone here. Thank you for taking the time to share your opinions on Trip Advisor.

Fairfax, Vermont
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed here several times while house hunting in the area. Friendly, helpful staff, nice restaurant on site, easy access to I-80. Great location. Breakfast is basic. Go 15 minutes to the Chestnut Hill diner, yummy.

Room Tip: Stay in an inside room on second floor, very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank GrammyRock
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We hope you found your home here in the Poconos..... and thank you for being our guest.
Minotola, New Jersey
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was easy to find. It is in a very convenient location. The room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. They offered a continental breakfast during the weekdays that was spartan, but adequate. The coffee in the lobby is very good! Had minor problems with the air conditioning shutting of after a few hours and wireless internet. The staff was helpful and friendly and took care of the problems immediately. A good stay for fair price. Will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor facing I-80 had lots of windows, and therefore lots of light and a fair view...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Norton F
We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. As you can see, our entire staff works very hard in improving the guest experience every day! We appreciate you sharing your thoughts on Trip Advisor!
Montvale, New Jersey
Reviewed August 13, 2012

To me, there was absolutely NO negative connotation with the word "budget" upon staying here. My boyfriend and I are looking at property in the area and to help make our decision we wanted to stay overnight and leave for work in the morning from PA. We'd driven past this motel countless times. It's rather non-descript from the outside, don't let that fool you! Location is excellent - easy on off from I-80. PLUS: You can't hear any highway noise inside.

I made reservation through Budget's direct site and requested a Deluxe King - as other reviews I read said these were the ones that have been upgraded already. (Eventually ALL rooms will be upgraded, duh) When we arrived, we were told there actually weren't any deluxe kings available and we were being "upgraded" to a full on suite. My boyfriend inquired about AAA discount and they said because we made the reservation through a "third party" (but to me it wasn't, it was THEIR site, not hotels.com etc.) they couldn't make any changes to the rate. I thought that was really weird. I feel that needs to be sorted out. I mean, I cannot recall the last time I did not make a reservation online. However, price was still good, so can't really complain.

The room: indeed a 2 room suite! And it was, in fact, sweet. I was quite impressed! Kitchenette and living room with a sofa bed and French doors leading into bedroom with a lovely bathroom. I was psyched about the upgrade, however, the bed in the bedroom was tiny!!! I purposely booked a king room so we'd have a nice big space and we'd be able to sleep comfortably as we had to get up at 5AM and drive back to NY/NJ for work and we both have sleep issues to begin with. We have a queen bed at home, this wasn't even a queen, definitely a full. So, I ended up sleeping in the bedroom and he ended up sleeping on the pull out bed, this was rather lame. If I had known at check in that the bed was that small I may have asked about another room. Oh well.

Overall though, really no complaints, would definitely reccomend AND stay here again. Except...I would be pissed if I was the owner/manager and had hired someone to mount these lovely, new, flat screen TV's in the rooms only to do a terrible job. The TV mounted in our living room area seemed like a 5 year old did it. I mounted my TV at home, it was not THAT hard especially if you actually measure things and have a level - which, you would assume someone doing extensive work on a hotel would have. The TV was really obviously slanted due to the mount and you couldn't pull it out from the wall to turn it because with the slant being so bad, gravity just yanked it all the way to the opposite side. So, Budget Inn, if you'd like me to come mount TV's for you, let me know! Or, at least have the same people come re-do it for you for free!!!!

Room Tip: I guess CALL for reservation or show up in person if you want AAA discount. Odd. Go with Deluxe or...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BQfromNY
Thank you for posting your thoughts on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you taking the time to do so. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Hampton Inn Stroudsburg / Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos
Baymont Inn & Suites Bartonsville Poconos
Days Inn East Stroudsburg
Days Inn East Stroudsburg
#6 of 8 in East Stroudsburg

Been to Budget Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!