“Worst meal of my life.”

Roasted Tomato Diner
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Pleasant, relaxed atmosphere and menu. All dinner entrees include LARGE 30 item Salad Bar with Homemade Soup, Chili and Make-Your-Own Nachos all at no additional charge. Fun and friendly staff with varied menu of Steaks, Chops, Seafood, Pasta, Chicken, Pizza, Burgers, Vegetarian and more. Reservations are not required and dress is casual. Families are welcome! ADA Accessible.
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stopped at the rotten tomato one night for dinner... I may as well have eaten styrofoam.. In fact, the vending machine offered a much better meal! Food was bland and tasteless. Veggie sandwich had about 3 pieces of soggy zucchini and was wrapped in what i can only assume was a commercially made flatbread wrap. I was excited when i saw that it came with hummus but became immediately disappointed when i realized that it was basically pureed canned chickpeas. No salt, lemon, pepper, garlic.. Nothing added! I make hummus at home and this was an insult to me. My boyfriend ordered the "8oz NY strip steak" but what came out was a charred piece of london broil that couldn't have weighed more that 4oz RAW. The stuffing that came with it was inedible and tasted like it had been mixed with maple syrup. Looking back we should have known better and walked out when the waiter advised us that they were "out of mashed potatoes". Unfortunately, it didn't hit me until after we had left that it's impossible to be out of mashed potatoes when i received fries on the side with my order. Obviously they are not using real potatoes. The entire meal was an abhorrent representation of cooking, if you can even call it cooking. Nothing was truly made.. Simply assembled without the slightest bit of care or pride. Hire a new chef and FAST.

2  Thank lcremin86

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Me and wife used to go there a very lot, and JR's was decent. To say it has fallen off is an understatement. For dinner as an example, I was disgusted with the menu so I had a hamburger with fries. It weighed maybe 3 ounces, and the bun engulfed it, the fries were so few that you can count them as a whole. My wife had what was supposed to be a double cut pork chop. It was cut in half lengthwise and was half raw, with about a dozen fries. Totally unedible. The next morning we decided to try the breakfast buffet, which used to be very good. OMG, it was like a continental breakfast! There were four waiters and we were the only ones in there at the time and no one came to our table. After about ten minutes I had to yell out, hey can we get a cup of coffee? We got the coffee and that was the last time they came to the table. P.S. $21.00 bill for that. Think of all of the places you can go and get a great breakfast for 2 with unlimited coffee and service for much less. Note to cooks...if you can't take pride..QUIT

1  Thank jerry614
Reviewed August 26, 2013

First I want to comment on that annoying "drop down" advertisement that I cannot top on my page! I just cannot express my annoyance enough. They need to improve the ad program. Now to the reason for my note. My husband and I had Sunday Bruch at the Roasted Tomato yesterday. The food was absolutely delish! We enjoyed the updated décor too. A very enjoyable experience.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

WOW is all that I can say. We saw the sign from the highway and went in for lunch. Clean place both the dining room and the bathroom. The food my goodness was to die for. GET THE ROASTED TOMATO SOUP this was the highlight of the whole trip for us. They have dinner specials for the day of the week which we thought was pretty inventive and a desire to return for sure. I had a Corn Beef sandwich my goodness it was the most lean and delicious I have ever tasted. The diner is run by what seems to be family they were very accommodating. We were told about a breakfast buffet that we want to return to. They had a really great menu and everything is made fresh so you have to wait for good food and it is worth it all the way. The value was there all the way. Such a wonderful experience and cant wait to return.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I visited this relatively new addition to the list of restaurants in the Poconos just after they opened and I wrote a review at that time. We revisited the hotel and the restaurant yesterday and we want to thank Mr. Barth Rubin again for making the changes from what was a good restaurant into a great restaurant/diner. My wife and I know good food and The Roasted Tomato serves very good food at very reasonable prices. Everything we have tried on their menu is of high quality and made fresh every day. I know that because after our second dinner I spoke to the chef and he told me "That is the way Mr. Ribin wants it". I admit we haven't tried everything during our 5 night at 2 seperate stays but The Delmonico steak, which is the special on Thursdays, is a steal. We both had that steak during our last visit and I freely admit I am a stickler about getting what is promised. Rarely do I receive the size identified on the menu but the advertised 10 ounce Delmonico steak we both received was at least 12 ounces, maybe more and done exactly as ordered. The Maryland crab cakes are about 90% crab and very tasty. My wife had the Yankee pot roast and she said it was good. There is just so much you can do with pot roast. I asked Barth about the chicken croquettes because I enjoy that meal but have given up because very few restaurants/diners have croquettes on their menu and when I find them they are always 20% chicked parts and 80% bread and never very good. The Roasted Tomato serves great chicken croquettes, the same type of chicken croquettes that began my love for them many years ago. The pan roasted salmon fillet was moist and delicious and it came on a bed of spinach and I love spinach. In fact that is one of my favorite sides at this restaurant. Spinach, sauteed in garlic and oil. Staying with the sides; My wife had the chuncky apple sauce and she enjoyed it. The seasonal vegies were fresh and not out of a can. Hard to find in a good restaurant and absolutely impossible to find in a diner. The homemade mashed potatoes were just that, homemade and very good. Ironically, the only item on the menu that neither my wife nor I enjoyed were the roasted tomatoes. We had them one time and maybe it was a bad night for tomatoes so maybe we give them a try again. Now for my absolute favorite item on the side menu: The sweet potato fries. I love sweet potato fries but rarely order them because I don't like deep fried frozen fries. The fries served at the Roasted Tomato are cut to order and done just right. They do charge an additional $1.50 but believe me they are worth it. We haven't ventured into other areas on the menu as in: Starters, soups, salads or deserts....yet. I highly recomment The Roasted Tomato Diner simply because they serve fine food at very reasonable prices.