“Food and service great, otherwise weird”

Roasted Tomato Diner
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Pleasant, relaxed atmosphere and menu. All dinner entrees include LARGE 30 item Salad Bar with Homemade Soup, Chili and Make-Your-Own Nachos all at no additional charge. Fun and friendly staff with varied menu of Steaks, Chops, Seafood, Pasta, Chicken, Pizza, Burgers, Vegetarian and more. Reservations are not required and dress is casual. Families are welcome! ADA Accessible.
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying that I have been in the restaurant business for 11 years. My boyfriend and I were headed to the Pocono's for the holiday weekend and were staying at the Budget Inn for one night. Rather than getting back into the car to explore the area, we opted to eat at the Roasted Tomato as it was on site.

The diner itself is cute and is what can be expected for a restaurant attatched to a hotel. It seemed very clean and the hostess was prompt and very friendly, something very important as it is one's first impression. Our server Mike was friendly and attentive. We felt as though he may have been newer but it was obvious he was trying his best. The food was great. My boyfriend loved his baked macaroni and cheese and I also enjoyed my spaghetti and meatballs, which was the special of the day. The cupcake dessert was delicious as well. Everything was very decently priced. For the amount and quality of food, it really couldn't be beat.

Our only major snag was with management. The owner, (Barth I believe) was very friendly and stopped by our table to ask about where we were from, if we were staying in the hotel, ideas about the restaurant, etc. He wasn't really a concern for us nearly as much as the other manager on duty. We didn't catch his name but he was being extremely hard on our server Mike and snapping at him in front of customers. Very uncomfortable and awkward. Clearly he has probably never waited on a table in his life and doesn't know what it entails. I have been in a supervisor position for years and would never talk to my staff like that, especially on the floor. He was basically degrading his own employee. He should realize that a happy staff means better service and happier customers. Who would want to put a smile on their face after their boss yells at them in front of everyone? Mike pushed through and we thought he was great. The funny thing was that this guy sas so nice and pleasant to the tables and then would turn around and bark orders at the staff. Hmm, two faced? Barth should consider a serious sit down with this man.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

The food was horrible!!! No taste very very bland. Menu was very limited $13. For a pot roast dinner is not a good value. No salad bar, portions are very small for the money.
Roasted chicken salad sandwich had no flavor and barely any chicken!!! Definitely not going back. Any other restaurant would be a better choice.

1  Thank Mesbensen
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We didn't know the area and we were looking for a place to eat. Decided to stop there. We weren't expecting much we were just hungry and tired. The food was really, really good. Service was excellent and the manager also comes up to your table to ask if everything is good. If I were a local I would eat there often.

1  Thank pat q
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The food was great! The service was great! The host or manager made us laugh and took our worries away! IT WAS GREAT!

James D, Manager at Roasted Tomato Diner, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thank You so much for your comments regarding your dining experience at JR's Grill & Salad Bar. We appreciate every bit of input and I will be sure to pass your comments along to our Diningroom and Kitchen staff! We look foward to exceeding your expectations in the future!
- James D.
Food and Beverage Manager

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Spinach ravioli was excellent. Service was good. Salad bar is adequate. Limited options for vegetarians.

Thank You for your valuable input on our menu and its choices. We have some menu items that will debut in our new restaurant, The Roasted Tomato Diner that I am sure you will enjoy also! Thank You once again!

James D.