“Crestview- very nice!”

Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Wyndham has 4 or 5 different resorts in the Poconos and all the resorts are listed under this one on Trip Advisor, under the name "Shawnee Village".
We stayed at "Wyndham Crestview", which is on Summit Circle, off of Upper Ridge Top Road. It's confusing because all the resorts are very different, but they are all located under the same address "5242-5255 buttermilk falls rd".
Anyways, Crestview is the newest Wyndham resort in the Poconos. If you stay at the shawnee village ones, for example, they are really old... from like the 1980's. We stayed at "Shawnee Village I or II" last year, and it wasn't up to our standards at all (which are not even that high). It was literally like 1980's and the furniture was not comfortable at all. The only good thing is that we saw some water (a river maybe?) from our room.
At Crestview, the resort was very nice and met our "Wyndham standards". We stayed in a 2-bedroom unit, which had a porch that was screened-in, large windows in the master bedroom, 2 showers with large bathrooms, 3 tvs, jet hot tub and so on. The kitchen is pretty updated, as well as the furniture. The tv in the living room is flat-screen and mounted on the wall. There is an (fake) fireplace under it for Looks, and it goes look pretty when on :) The kitchen table was large, and can sit 7-8 people comfortably... there were 4 chairs and a large bench. There is also a few bar stools that go under the counter/bar in the kitchen. The 2nd bedroom had two beds, and a connected bathroom. Crestview was very clean - no complaints!

Note- the indoor pool, activities, and game room for all the Wyndham Poconos' resorts are all at the resort check-in location on Buttermilk Falls Rd.

*Note that the "first" Wyndham building you pass when driving up Buttermilk Falls RD is a sales preview center... you want to go to the "second" building to check-in, which a further up the street. However, at that preview center, behind it, are little waterfalls! Very pretty... we just parked in the parking lot and walked over to them (no one said anything to us).
You will know you are in the correct building (to check-in) because you will drive under a small bridge to enter the parking lot and there is miniature golf there.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank 77Ronnie

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Here is my letter of complaint:

10/21/13

RE: Letter of Complaint

To whom it may concern
This is a letter to express my dissatisfaction with our time share in the Poconos in September 2013. My husband and I just became owners and this was our first vacation as such. We booked our trip to the Poconos originally for ourselves but then we decided to extend the invitation to our sister. Originally we had a two bedroom which was fine for us. Shortly before our trip our grandfather announced that he retired so we thought it would be a great idea to invite him and our grandmother on the trip with us as a retirement gift. Just recently finishing our discovery package we have been accustomed to a certain caliber of room and customer service. We have always stayed in places that had elevators or where handicap accessible. We did not think that in 2013 we would be in a predicament where there were no accommodations for the elderly. When we added the additional suite to our trip for the grandparents we told them it was for the elderly. No one asked if we needed a handicap accessible room and so we assumed that all rooms and locations would be as this has been our experience the two years we had the discovery package.

The first booking was from Friday, September 20-Monday, September 23. The second booking was from Saturday, September 21-Sunday, September 22. Our grandparents, the Reynolds would be staying from Friday to Monday and my husband, my sister, and I would be staying from Saturday to Sunday. The following is our complaints and areas of concern with this stay:

The Reynolds drove from Chesapeake, VA to the Poconos on Friday and arrived late into the evening. While trying to check in they were informed that they could not check in without my husband and myself present. We were not made aware of this nor were it made clear to us when we booked the trip and explained what we were trying to do. Thankfully they did allow them to check in however it was not without incident.

After they were given permission to check in they were then informed that they would have to give a deposit of $150. Again, this was never explained to us and we have never had to put a deposit down on any placed we stayed at during the Discovery time so we were shocked when they were asking this of our elderly guess who are on a fixed income. To help resolve this I asked the facility if I was able to put the deposit on my card. My concern was that our grandparents would be without money while on vacation. Being on a fixed income they did not plan to put down any money and $150 is a lot to ask of anyone. I was told no that I had to be present to do this. We then made arrangements for our grandfather to put the deposit on his card and they would refund it when we came the following day and put the deposit on our card.

The Reynolds was given their keys and went to the room only to discover that it was not wheelchair or handicap accessible. They went back to the office to try to get a room that was accessible and was told that they needed to make this arrangement in advance. Seeing my grandmother in a wheel chair and not being able to get up the stairs the only thing they could offer was that they turn back around and drive almost 10 hours home at12am or wait until the next day and hope that someone checked out of a handicap accessible room. They could not tell then if anyone would be checking out which we thought was weird because they could see when we were checking in and out. Due to fatigue and an impossible drive back home the Reynolds decided to try to stay in hopes of a more appropriate room the following day. It took my grandfather almost two hours to get my grandmother in the room. It was well into the early morning when they got settled.

Now in the room they discovered that the smell off set my grandmother asthma and allergies. The microwave did not work, the place was not clean, and the décor was old, sagging, and outdated. It was not the luxurious Poconos vacation they were hoping for. I called the front office to see if anyone could help at minimum with the smell. They sent over a can of Lysol which did not work. My grandmother was confined to the upstairs until we arrived and was able to help her get downstairs. Even downstairs she could not stay long because of the smell.

While traveling to the Poconos my husband and I called the facility several times to see if any rooms were available and was told that they did not know yet. When we arrived at the facility we went to the office to check in and to see if anything was available. We put both room deposits on out accounts and then tried to get my grandfather’s money returned. They never told us that if you put the deposit on a debit card than it would be a 3-5 day waiting period. Now not only was their $150 tied up and could not be returned but so was our $300! They could have told us this before I gave my deposit for their room as well. So now their room held a $300 deposit on it that we had to wait to get back.

At this point I found out that there would be no rooms available for the Reynolds. We called Wyndam and tried to get assistance with other hotels in the area or resorts but was unsuccessful. We decided to go to our room to see if we could at least switch rooms with the Reynolds but when we arrived the place was in worst condition than theirs. My asthma and allergies triggered as well and we had to open all the windows and doors for two hours to let it air out. I stay out of the room until the last minute when I had to go to sleep and shower. I spent about four hours total in our room. I took pictures of the horrible condition that the place was in and will provide copies to you for your review.

While speaking to the Wyndam representative who was very kind we were told that because of all the trouble that we have been put through they would credit our account for both rooms and we would be able to take a vacation elsewhere. We were told to call after our trip and this would be credited. We complied with this and were told that someone would be contacting us. We have yet to hear from anyone besides the Poconos resort. We have been playing phone tag with them and have not been able to physically speak to them at all. Our account was closed out and reopened and still nothing has been resolved. We are not sure why they are calling us as we have no intentions of ever returning to that facility again.

I wish this was the end of our story but it is not. My husband and I checked out on Sunday as scheduled. We arrived home only to get a call from our frantic aunt at about 10pm at night stating that they “kicked” our grandparents out of the resort. Now the interpretation of this without our aunt’s emotion is that our grandfather went to the car to get something and when he tried to use his card to enter the room it did not work. My grandmother is upstairs and cannot come down without assistance so he called the front office and asked if they could let him in. They told him that his key was deactivated because they were supposed to check out at 10am. As he tried to explain to them that he was not suppose to check out until tomorrow he became frustrated. He tried to be positive the whole time but this was his last straw. The maintenance crew came and let him and they did not even have time to shower or pack their bags properly. They were told they had to leave and so they did. My grandfather was so upset that he did not even tell us what was going on so we could not call to straighten things out before they left. I was extremely concerned and upset because now we have two senior citizens driving eleven hours at night. I called the office and was informed that indeed the Reynolds was told they had to check out. I explained that we checked out today and that they were suppose to check out tomorrow. Then the young lady informed me that no one told them that they had to check out. As patient as I was throughout this whole ordeal now I was getting upset because she just lied to me. I asked to speak to a manager and the manager tried to tell me the same story that no one told them that they had to leave. She stated that the key was deactivated because it was probably sat next to a mobile device. While my grandparents are old they are not deaf. There is no way that they would have opted to drive in the dark eleven hours at three or four in the evening without bathing or properly packing. Because I was so incensed at this time I thanked her kindly and hung up the phone.

I am writing this letter of complaint because I have yet to hear from anyone with regards to rescheduling our trips and I wanted to make sure that your program was made aware of this horrible experience. It was an embarrassment and a complete waste of time and money. We have never experienced anything like this and hope to never have to. Your immediate attention to this matter is greatly appreciated.

In short! DO NOT STAY HERE! Esp if you are under like 60! The rooms are dirty, soiled and old. I will be posting pictures shortly. There is nothing for younger people to do.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for the newest rooms and if you need handicap assessiblity make sure you say so in...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
20  Thank moniquem03
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I will never go to Wyndham Vacation Resorts Shawnee Village - Crestview anymore, this is worst place I experienced. I am the VIP owner of Wyndham, I didn't feel I am VIP, the follwing is the example what their service looks like

1. the Lady in their front desk is no smile , speaking very rude .

2. The room service is more worse, you can always see the worms in the kitchen, talked this issue to member service, no any action .

3. no much supply provided in the room even no enough shower towels. I tried to call operation center to request to send more supply, they refused, and said " it is our way, we have over 500 units, we can not provide more, you have to deal with what you have , if you have any problem, talk to our manager."

This is the worst travel in my life, I thought I could point this problem via the survey after I left , Wyndham usually do this way to get feedback, but the strange is that they even didn't send any survey to me, I guess, they never care the customer and owner at all, I even doubt whether Wyndham Vacation Resorts Shawnee Village - Crestview owned by Wyndham or not

Room Tip: Please don't go to Wyndham Vacation Resorts Shawnee Village
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank RaleighNC2013
ClubWyndham, CLUB WYNDHAM Social Media Team at Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear your stay did not meet your expectations and we apologize for any encounter with our staff that was not satisfactory. We know that while on vacation it is important to be treated well. In regards to towels being provided in each unit, our goal is to make each guest feel at home with a kitchen and laundry. We have condo-style resort and certain "hotel" amenities such as daily housekeeping and concierge do not exist. In regards to the unit cleanliness issues we will certainly do our best to improve based on the feedback you provided. Again, thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback.

Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

I read and Reread all the reviews and checked out all of the pictures. I was ally skeptical about coming, I'm sure glad we did. We stayed in ridge top SUMMIT, Our villa was clean and it was completely stocked.. From pots n pans to towels and washer and dryer with detergent. The villa had absolutely everything. The pool is nice the mini golf course is beautiful, and the arcade is updated and pretty cool.. There are so many things to do around the area. We had a great time, hope to make this a yearly event!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank BrittanyF422
ClubWyndham, CLUB WYNDHAM Social Media Team at Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Thank you for providing this feedback. We are so glad you enjoyed the fully stocked unit and resort amenities that we offer. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed in Unit 48F in the Fairways section of this property. Although we own through Wyndham, evidently this unit is only managed by Wyndham. It is a 1-bedroom unit with eat-in kitching, dining area, living room, 1 bathroom, and washer/dryer. This building only had two units in it so it was very quiet. Unit is very spacious, lots of windows (which I loved), but musty and outdated. And bring a flashlight in your car, because it is very dark in this area at night. Although I am probably going to sound critical here, I first must say I loved the location and layout of the unit. It just really needs some upkeep done to it. The kitchen is not furnished as a typical Wyndham timeshare would be and had no garbage disposal or ice maker. Also did not include the normal amount of soaps, etc. If you want to run the dishwasher more than once, you will need to buy more soap, but no one tells you that until you run out and call for more. The furniture was old and worn, but clean, Carpet was loose and worn. The bedroom was HUGE, but had two full beds instead of one king or queen, which we weren't real happy about. It was pretty warm the first 3 days, but the bedroom is hard to cool - only one vent that we could find. Huge windows, but only one in the bedroom could be opened because of holes in the screens. Nice deck with chairs. The resorts rec center offers a lot, and we took advantage of a tour to NYC, The outdoor pool closed for the season the day after we arrived, but an indoor pool was available. Because it is a timeshare property, we did receive a visit from sales staff, but it was not, thankfully, a hard sell. We are already owners, but I can't imagine why Wyndham would try to get someone to buy their timeshares after staying on this property because it would be way below average for what is normally offered at a Wyndham resort.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

40th anniversary trip to Poconos from Indiana, and Wyndham came through. We read reviews on line, made a call, and learned that there are new and old units within larger Wyndham Resort complex here. Requested and received residency in newest units. Can not vouch for any negatives one might read about other sections, but our "Crestview" unit 281 was superb. While we found the bed to be firmer than we prefer (please put a pillow top cover on that HARD king mattress!), that was the ONLY item short of excellent in our unit. Loved the screened-in porch and view down the hill. Fall colors were just beginning to show in the area and temps were conducive for taking it easy and feeling blessed. Played 36 holes of puttputt in late afternoon as sun was filtering through the ample trees and we felt relaxed to the max. Great location for driving access to nearby touristy things. Front desk folks and concierge were friendly, welcoming, and ready with good ideas. "Wyndham Owner Briefing" was offered, accepted, $25 reimbursement was decent, and time for us was respectfully short; option for more dialogue was evident but not forced by Vincent. Appreciated special anniversary touch of bottle of wine at check-in; thanks for remembering, everyone! Crestview was terrific...clean, nicely appointed, everything worked, amenities as one would expect. We say "Stay in Crestview with confidence."

Room Tip: Talk on phone to someone at resort. Be transparent about web review concerns because they are real.
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We are timeshare owners and traded in through Interval to come to this property. I read the reviews before we booked but our choices were limited and this is semi-close to home so we took our chances. Overall, our unit was clean but needed updating. We had a couple of issues when we first entered our unit and immediately called the desk. They sent someone immediately to take care of the problems - although the stove issue (burner was disconnected) was fixed and the burner was "usable" it still was not right. Unit needed to have upgraded appliances. We rented a 2 bedroom unit although we only used one because we wanted the extra space. Our bed was comfortable. The bathroom attached to the master bedroom had a small shower and a toilet with a sink outside the bathroom. The other upstairs bathroom was bigger and contained a small shower and the weirdest orange tub I've ever seen. Needless to say we didn't use it. Living room furniture was cleanish, but needed updating. Loved the screened in porch.

We didn't stay at the resort during the day - we did some day trips and so we just really slept and showered here. We did use the pool on one occasion and it was fine. Most activities cost a few dollars -which you would pay if you wanted to do them outside the resort. My issue is this - I like this resort and wondered how handicapped accessible it was. In our unit, all the bedrooms were upstairs. After several discussions with the staff here I found out that the resort only has 1 ADA approved unit - and there are many units here. Some units have fewer steps to get into them, but all the bedrooms are upstairs. I could not bring my 82 year old mother here because she could not do the stairs. They do mention the layout of the units on their website, so I wasn't surprised, just concerned.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated unit. Call ahead for special requests.
2  Thank kjgardeski
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 7 in East Stroudsburg
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#2 of 7 in East Stroudsburg
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
10 mi away
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
#1 of 4 in Shawnee on Delaware

Been to Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort? Share your experiences!