“Great location, decent resort, "okay" unit”

Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort
GreenLeadersSilver level
West Bath, ME
“Great location, decent resort, "okay" unit”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We were booked into the Depuy units at this resort on an RCI timeshare exchange, which carry a separate RCI number. However, Shawnee swapped us into the Fairway units, so that's what I'm reviewing. This was strike one for the resort...I don't mind being swapped if there is some communication beforehand...but none happened. Strike two was when we realized that our assigned parking spot was not within sight of the unit...very far away...a big deal when traveling with four kids and lots of luggage. Probably NOT such an issue if you are traveling as a couple. And strike three happened when I saw the filthy state of the kitchen floor, and rotted out sill under the back door. THANK HEAVENS it got better from there! We stayed in F23A, which was a 2BR sleeps 8 unit. There was a sleeper sofa in the living room, two doubles in the second bedroom, and a queen in the master. Two full baths upstairs, and a 1/2 bath downstairs, which also contained the FULL SIZE washer and dryer. Tons of space. All appliances worked fine, though they had been well-used. Tired living room furniture, old tube-style tvs. Comfy beds, though, and clean sheets. All-in-all, the unit needs a major reno job inside and out, but it served our purpose as a home base.The grounds were beautiful. We were right on the banks of the Delaware River, adjacent to the Shawnee Inn.Lots of planned activities...anything from wiffle ball to a bus trip into NYC to a winery tour. Some cost money, some did not. On the last night, we had a wonderful family bonfire, with marshmallows provided by the resort. Super fun! Great clean indoor saltwater pool (my kids actually loved that as opposed to chlorine!) and two outdoor pools. Wonderful mini golf...two courses...play as much as you want for $5. Yes...you'll have to drive to the rec center, but it's not any bigger deal than you make it to be! Based on the first 30 minutes at this resort, we were ready to run screaming....but chose to give it a chance. It's not the Ritz, but we'd go back, albeit with lowered expectations of the unit.

1 Thank Missy C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My family has been coming to Shawnee Village Resort almost every summer since 1999 for a group outing/ family reunion type of event. It was fairly nice at first but I can tell you nothing in the housing units has been updated since then. The furniture, bathroom, kitchen, linens, utensils, carpet and decor are all old, worn out and outdated. There was even one time we arrived to a messy housing unit in while visiting in 2011. The strange thing about renting from this place is that they require you to clean the homes before you leave I.e. vacuum, remove bed linens, take out the trash etc. Who does that while on vacation? It seems Wyndham took over the facility and put their money into only renovating their rental office and getting uniforms for their staff. The only bright side about Shawnee Village Resort was the use of their amenities at Sun Mountain Recreation park. They have a large park with grills, a pool, basketball, volleyball and tennis court. I think this was only the main reason we would come back to the resort despite the 2 (maybe even 1) star housing units. However this year even the Sun Mountain Recreation park where we held our annual picnic was a disaster. For years use or this recreation area was functioning on a first come first served basis so my group would arrive early to reserve a picnic area. This year we were informed by the rental company to call and reserve a spot for groups larger than 26. We called the Sun Mountain Recreation center and verified we wanted to reserve an area for a picnic with a group of almost 100. The service person said it was not a problem and " no reservation was needed." Furthermore they said the Sun Mountain Recreation center with pool, grills tables and basketball court was a first come first serve area for Shawnee village guests. We even asked if there were any conflicting parties going on and the service person said no and even if there was it was still first come first served. In any case we arrived and started setting up only to be rudely confronted by Wyndham's managers saying we shouldn't be there and that we didn't have a reservation. Okay well perhaps the person answering the phone was wrong BUT the way our group was initially treated was unacceptable. The mangers called security, had the circling around us and even told us to move all our food and sit on the floor in the fields by the parking lot with no shade. They threatened to call the state police and tried to remove our group from the area even after showing our guests badges which should have offered some privileges. It took almost 4 hours to reason with them and maintain a few picnic tables for our food. There was a conflicting group that "needed" the tables and that's why they took them away. Meanwhile that conflicting group did not even use the tables. Management could have worked harder to resolve the issue faster and more diplomatically. Instead they threatened us gave us a hard time and really lowered the morale for our event. The way we were treated as customers was extremely disrespectful and hinted towards discrimination being that our group consisted mainly of Filipinos. I would not come back here nor recommend Shawnee Village Resort to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank NYKfan

Travelers are raving about these East Stroudsburg hotels

NY,usa
Reviewed July 22, 2013

went to Northslope 2 at Shawnee resort last weekend This is a tradition for us family and friends to go and have a picnic every summer. We have been going to this place every year for almost 11 years, the place is not that great but we keep on going because of the sun mountain resort where they can have basketball and volleyball. While we were there we were approach by the Wyndham staff telling us to vacate the place, threatened to call NJ state police on us , telling us that they will get the picnic table because it was reserved for other people and telling us we can sit and eat on the ground . cabin 13 A has a beehive and I was bitten by the bee . Thank God my family are all health professional and they know what to do. Who wants to buy your time share if you are treating people this way.

2 Thank Ideal Fe S
Union, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed July 22, 2013

WE from THE SAN JOAQUIN ASSOCIATION were having picnic at the SUN RECREATION AREA when the WHYNDHAM EMPLOYEES told us to leave the place since we were not members We have rented 13 units from the BETTER HOMES and we were doing this for the past 10 yrs.We were told by the Better Homes-Wilkins employee that we can use the picnic area and it's a first come basis. Your employee told us to leave the area and go to other area and sit on the grass.This is very degrading to us.We are professional people and not just MERE people.WE were treated like dirt.I don't want to say they are racist but it looks like that.We have members in the group who have also have timeshares from your company and we will suggest from our other members not to get anytime shares from you. Our weekend was ruined because of this incident.Our members including children young kids were traumatized with the incident since this is the first time it happened to us.

3 Thank Lourdes N
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
We are sorry for your experience regarding the Sun Mountain picnic area and staff while visiting the Shawnee area. The confusion was not intended and we will review this situation with our team to identify how we can avoid this in the future. Since your accommodations at the Northslope rental are not owned, operated or affiliated with Wyndham or the Shawnee Village Resort, we are not able to resolve this directly. However, we would like to put you in contact with someone who can assist. Please email NEPA Property Management at patriciab@wilkins1.com. We hope they can respond quickly. Please extend our apologies for this experience to your guests.
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My in laws have a time share through Wyndham & took my husband and I and we stayed in the Crestview 264. We were a little weary when we pulled up as their is a security guard and kids and teens all over since it's called "The Shawnee Recreation Center". We weren't sure if this was a town rec center attached or what. When we arrived at our Crestview section, the outside is very nice - very woodsy and brand new looking. I must say ahead of time, I am a little OCD with bugs, so I had my husband check my bed twice, as we were in the second bedroom w/ two full beds, even though the place appeared nice and clean. All seemed fine, except for some spots on the sheets, so on went our vacation. Other things to note, we arrived on a Friday night and Saturday and Sunday the pool was packed, so packed you could hardly see water. People were picnicking everywhere, it just appeared overbooked. We did our toursity things and stayed away. The unit above us was unbelievably noisy. It sounded like the toddler kept pounding and running back and forth across the unit and often heard a tantrum or too from the second bedroom. When we finally went to the pool Monday, the water was murky and the only reason we got in was because it was so darn hot out, but didn't stay long in as clumps of hair floated by. They only have ONE pool and it is not big enough for the whole development, although there are enough chairs-that was the positive! We decided to leave a day early anyway as the place is more geared for kids then us adults and the area is mediocre at best. So, it was the last night or I should say morning we were leaving I couldn't sleep and rolled over on my stomach and started playing on my phone in the dark room and that's when I saw it, something moving next to me. I flashed my phone on it and saw a little bug crawling away. I jumped up and flipped on the lights and saw another one. I pulled back the sheets and there was a bloody smushed one, then another one on my pillow. It was bed bugs! The more we investigated my bed, the more we found. We couldn't get out of there quick enough! My mother-in-law immediately contacted the office and they didn't seem too concerned and said they'd send someone up. Well the person never showed up while we packed up. Now that I've researched, the spots on the sheets should have been the indication of bed bugs - so be aware. We just thought it was an old stain, but it's not! As I said, the mattress appeared fine, but as I've researched, if disturbed they will hide in headboard or pictures above bed, etc. and that must be where they were I don't know if I will ever be able to stay in another hotel again! the thought of them crawling all over me and not knowing it almost puts me into a panic attack! My bites are just showing up all over my back, arms a week after our first night. We wouldn't bring anything that was with us into the house until it was cleaned and laundered outside of the house. I am just devastated by this! Please be aware!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Scheff
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed there for a few days during winter for a skiing trip. It was just mediocre. The furniture, bedspread and curtains could use some updating. The place was spotless but did not feel truly clean. The kitchen was average, the whole place was average. Nothing that would make me want to go back. Would search for a more memorable hotel/townhouse the next time we visit Poconos.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed in the Depuy area for 2 nights, as part of a timeshare presentation. I was expecting something up to hotel standards, but this was really more on the level of cottage in the woods in terms of decor, maintenance, etc. Not much of a view from the units, and you have to drive to all of the amenities (pool, food, etc). We enjoyed ourselves and were comfortable enough, but would probably stay elsewhere if we were paying out of pocket.

2 Thank payn0045
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#1 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
#1 of 4 in Shawnee on Delaware

Been to Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort? Share your experiences!