“Not Expected”

Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The first to share is this resort was next to imposible to find!Nothing to say it was a Wyindham. The first condo ( which took forever to find had a skunk under the porch)Changed our room 80D could not find that one came back and a guard took us to the location, number was hidden!!!!!! The room was AWFUL!!!!!!IIt looked like the 70"s It was raiining really hard by now. We decided we were not staying our 4 days!!!!!!!! Too far from the inside pool and ect. The TV didn't work maintaince had to be called.Water would not go down the drain when a shower was taken.It was not a WYNDHAM Resort!!!!!!!!!!! So very dissapointed.My husband is going to relay this to the wyndham.

Room Tip: Look at your condo before checking in! Was told that there were nice and newer ones.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank klvanders1026
There are newer reviews for Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort

Reviewed September 6, 2012

My mid-August get-away to Shawnee Village Resort became more about enjoying the activities than the resort. Rain made it a great week to enjoy the Shawnee Playhouse and a tour of the Franklin Vineyards.

Rain ruined the turnout at the weekly Farmer's Market, Tuesday evening, on the great lawn of the Shawnee Inn. But, it was well worth the trip. At least 6 to 8 vendors set-up their tables. The fresh string beans and the baklava that I purchased made my day :-).

This year I joined the resort's 2-mile nature walk along the McDade trail. From the McDade trail, the view of the Delaware River was spectacular. Hiking up and down hills through the surrounding trees, foliage and the occasional corn field was a challenge. The exertion and pace made me grateful for my workouts in the gym :-).

I had a split reservation. I got to enjoy the newer Upper Ridgetop and the older Ridgetop units. In both units, the resort scrimped on providing basic amenities like toilet paper, cutting boards, water pitchers, cups, glasses, soap, liquid soap detergent and tissues. But the Resort bent over backwards to make-up for these deficiencies, when I submitted my inventory shortfall to the resort staff at the check-in desk.

The older Ridgetop units have the advantage of being at grade level, until you get to the actual unit. I could roll my luggage from the car to the unit. In the newer Ridgetop units, I had the challenge of pulling my luggage up a flight of three to four stairs to get from the parking lot to the path leading to my unit.

Room Tip: The Upper Ridgetop units are newer than the lower Ridgetop units. My Upper Ridgetop unit was a luxu...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I love Shawnee there is not much that anyone can complain about. . My parents own timeshare and our family and friends years enjoying this lovely and peaceful place. I have been coming to Shawnee since I was a teenager. I shared visits with friends ,cousins even my husband through the years .The summer of 2011 was my 1st stay with my husband , my sons age 11yrs and 7yrs. I love the villa & the setting. Our villa last year was down by the Shawnee Inn, which I would of preferred to stay there for all my vacation stays. This year I stayed in T81. It was very exciting my kids got to see bears up close and personal. They had a blast . We were disappointed that we could not BBQ due to the bears in the area ( were saw 3 different bears)I did not like that the jacuzzi was in the kids bathroom and the master bathroom was so small. Compared to our stay from 2011, the master bathroom had everthing. I am happy that the shower heads were upgraded. Our family loved our stay at S.hawnee and will be back next year .

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LouAnn A
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband, myself and our 2 year old daughter stayed in a 2 bedroom villa at the Wyndham Crestivew. The unit was beautiful, spacious and very clean. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating. We would defiantly stay here again!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We read the reviews prior to coming to Shawnee Village and fet liek we were heading into disaster. The key to our expirience prior to getting there was calling the resort and was requesting a Crestview or Ridge Top Summit location. We opened our door to our T-225 unit and it was very clean, air conditioning was superb, and very accomodating. Yes, the decor may be slightly outdated, but you couldnt have asked for a more comfortable and pleasurable expirience. Everything was fully operating and equipted. We walked the propoerty hills and took adtvatage of all the many outdoor ameneties. We felt very safe and secure and enjoyed the short car ride to many great restaurants and shopping.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Where do I begin? The original unit assigned to us when we arrived on July 29 at about 4:15pm was T54. When we got to the unit, I immediately picked up the smell of dampness and mold. The master bedroom was smaller than the secondary bedroom and only had a full-size bed. The secondary BR also had the jacuzzi while the MBR did not. We immediately called guest services and told them that our accommodations would not do as I was allergic to mold. They told us that they would call us back in 10 mins. No one called back. After about 30 mins, we went there in person. We spoke to Jason. He apologized and said that was all they had and there was nothing he could do. After my husband insisted that he speak to a manager, they "found'' D219. We thanked them then went to this unit. We were told to call and let them know if we liked the unit. When we got there, there was no TV in the MBR, there was a sink/mirror in the kids bedroom while the bathroom only had a shower and toilet??!! Does that make sense? Like the first unit, everything was old, dated and dingy-looking. We even saw ants crawling on the kitchen counter. Just looking at the bed made my skin itchy. Not one of us wanted to stay in that unit either. We called guest services again and again, and no one bothered to answer the phone, so off we went again in person. By then we were frustrated and both boys (early teens) were clearly annoyed and asked why don't we just go check into another hotel? At guest services, you could tell that Jason wanted us gone and kept giving us the run around by telling us that the manager and then the asst manager were busy or in a meeting. He left, supposedly to go speak to the manager but never returned! Unbeknownst to us, Jason had left for the day while we were under the impression that he was inside speaking to the manager!!! We decided that we were going to camp out there until a manager showed up. Finally, Jean Marie advised us that the manager was headed back to the desk and would see us as soon as she arrives. We waited about 45 minutes until she arrived. The manager was very cordial, listened to our concerns, apologized for Jason's unprofessional behavior and offered to find us another unit which was T154. Apparently this was the best of the lot and by then we were beyond exhausted, so we accepted that unit even though it was nowhere near ideal. We can't thank Jean Marie enough who actually saved the day because we arrived in that unit, our third, at approximately 7:30pm. She genuinely seemed concerned about us being 'stranded. ‘
We quickly ate and went to bed because we were so tired! The next day, I washed everything I possibly could in that unit. The spare pillows in the closet were obviously used because it had a big, brown stain on it. I washed the comforter, blankets, and bedding. I also put all the utensils and dishware in the dishwasher before we used them. It was obvious that the place was poorly maintained and we were taking no chances. I felt like I was at home cleaning up rather than on vacation.
This was our second visit to Shawnee but because my husband is a Wyndham owner, he was placed in a better unit the first time. This time I did an exchange with my timeshare and obviously no one cares about those of us who makes exchanges and that was why I got garbage. We have made up our minds that we will NEVER return to or recommend Shawnee to anyone! This is by far the worst facility we have ever stayed in, bar none! Just yesterday, a co-worker asked me what was a good place to stay in the Poconos? I quickly responded: Not Shawnee! We made the best of a bad situation and while we were there, we were already dreaming of our next vacation in September.
P.S. The chain on the front door was broken and there was a hole in the wall in the living room.

10  Thank Janet S
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I read some of the other reviews and am saddened by the experiences expressed. Let me say this is not the case in the Ridge Top and Summit Villages. They are well maintained, financially sound, periodically upgraded with all the amenities you can think of. DO NOT CONFUSE these two villages with the other villages on the Shawnee Property.

The other villages have been hit with several floods which are costly to repair and need total renovations after a flood. They are not as well managed and financially sound and can not handle catastrophic damages.

Let me repeat this is not the case with Ridgetop and Summit Villages.

All villages have access to the indoor pool at the Shawnee Inn and the new modern recreation center with indoor pool and outdoor pool, gaming center, exercise center, sauna, etc.. There is also a shuttle between villages, pools, and the Inn so the family car can go shopping in the Poconos and other members are not left stranded at the condo.

I have been so dissatisfied with the amenities at other resorts that I stopped trading.

Room Tip: Select the Shawnee Ridge Top or Shawnee Ridge Top Summit condos to vacation. Skip the other villages
5  Thank Joe M
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
#1 of 4 in Shawnee on Delaware

Been to Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort? Share your experiences!