“What a pleasant surprise!”

Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort
GreenLeadersSilver level
Forest, Virginia
“What a pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We read the reviews prior to coming to Shawnee Village and fet liek we were heading into disaster. The key to our expirience prior to getting there was calling the resort and was requesting a Crestview or Ridge Top Summit location. We opened our door to our T-225 unit and it was very clean, air conditioning was superb, and very accomodating. Yes, the decor may be slightly outdated, but you couldnt have asked for a more comfortable and pleasurable expirience. Everything was fully operating and equipted. We walked the propoerty hills and took adtvatage of all the many outdoor ameneties. We felt very safe and secure and enjoyed the short car ride to many great restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Where do I begin? The original unit assigned to us when we arrived on July 29 at about 4:15pm was T54. When we got to the unit, I immediately picked up the smell of dampness and mold. The master bedroom was smaller than the secondary bedroom and only had a full-size bed. The secondary BR also had the jacuzzi while the MBR did not. We immediately called guest services and told them that our accommodations would not do as I was allergic to mold. They told us that they would call us back in 10 mins. No one called back. After about 30 mins, we went there in person. We spoke to Jason. He apologized and said that was all they had and there was nothing he could do. After my husband insisted that he speak to a manager, they "found'' D219. We thanked them then went to this unit. We were told to call and let them know if we liked the unit. When we got there, there was no TV in the MBR, there was a sink/mirror in the kids bedroom while the bathroom only had a shower and toilet??!! Does that make sense? Like the first unit, everything was old, dated and dingy-looking. We even saw ants crawling on the kitchen counter. Just looking at the bed made my skin itchy. Not one of us wanted to stay in that unit either. We called guest services again and again, and no one bothered to answer the phone, so off we went again in person. By then we were frustrated and both boys (early teens) were clearly annoyed and asked why don't we just go check into another hotel? At guest services, you could tell that Jason wanted us gone and kept giving us the run around by telling us that the manager and then the asst manager were busy or in a meeting. He left, supposedly to go speak to the manager but never returned! Unbeknownst to us, Jason had left for the day while we were under the impression that he was inside speaking to the manager!!! We decided that we were going to camp out there until a manager showed up. Finally, Jean Marie advised us that the manager was headed back to the desk and would see us as soon as she arrives. We waited about 45 minutes until she arrived. The manager was very cordial, listened to our concerns, apologized for Jason's unprofessional behavior and offered to find us another unit which was T154. Apparently this was the best of the lot and by then we were beyond exhausted, so we accepted that unit even though it was nowhere near ideal. We can't thank Jean Marie enough who actually saved the day because we arrived in that unit, our third, at approximately 7:30pm. She genuinely seemed concerned about us being 'stranded. ‘
We quickly ate and went to bed because we were so tired! The next day, I washed everything I possibly could in that unit. The spare pillows in the closet were obviously used because it had a big, brown stain on it. I washed the comforter, blankets, and bedding. I also put all the utensils and dishware in the dishwasher before we used them. It was obvious that the place was poorly maintained and we were taking no chances. I felt like I was at home cleaning up rather than on vacation.
This was our second visit to Shawnee but because my husband is a Wyndham owner, he was placed in a better unit the first time. This time I did an exchange with my timeshare and obviously no one cares about those of us who makes exchanges and that was why I got garbage. We have made up our minds that we will NEVER return to or recommend Shawnee to anyone! This is by far the worst facility we have ever stayed in, bar none! Just yesterday, a co-worker asked me what was a good place to stay in the Poconos? I quickly responded: Not Shawnee! We made the best of a bad situation and while we were there, we were already dreaming of our next vacation in September.
P.S. The chain on the front door was broken and there was a hole in the wall in the living room.

10 Thank Janet S

Travelers are raving about these East Stroudsburg hotels

Cranford, New Jersey
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I read some of the other reviews and am saddened by the experiences expressed. Let me say this is not the case in the Ridge Top and Summit Villages. They are well maintained, financially sound, periodically upgraded with all the amenities you can think of. DO NOT CONFUSE these two villages with the other villages on the Shawnee Property.

The other villages have been hit with several floods which are costly to repair and need total renovations after a flood. They are not as well managed and financially sound and can not handle catastrophic damages.

Let me repeat this is not the case with Ridgetop and Summit Villages.

All villages have access to the indoor pool at the Shawnee Inn and the new modern recreation center with indoor pool and outdoor pool, gaming center, exercise center, sauna, etc.. There is also a shuttle between villages, pools, and the Inn so the family car can go shopping in the Poconos and other members are not left stranded at the condo.

I have been so dissatisfied with the amenities at other resorts that I stopped trading.

Room Tip: Select the Shawnee Ridge Top or Shawnee Ridge Top Summit condos to vacation. Skip the other villages
5 Thank Joe M
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 14, 2012

The Shawnee Village Resort should be a very nice place for families to spend their Poconos vacation. The main building offers a variety of activities for kids and adults including swimming, video games, concession and mini golfing. There are more activities than you can probably participate in which is good because there are so many choices whether you are athletic or just want to sit by the pool and read a great novel. The location is nice because it is situated near restaurants and stores, but remote enough that you feel as though you are really getting away from it all. The cabin itself was a townhouse style layout with a kitchen, 2 1/2 bathrooms, living and dining space and two bedrooms. Our family of five fit comfortably in the space and we appreciated (though didn't take enough time to enjoy) the screened in porch. There was also a washer and dryer in our cabin which was very convenient for us and the kitchen was fully stocked withWe had our own parking space and it was very close to the lodging.

Those are the positives. The negatives are few, but bad enough that we felt the need to share them. We were scheduled to check in at 4 pm. That is what we were informed when we booked and that is what we paid for. With this in mind, we left Boston, MA with enough time to grab a quick bite and arrive as close to 4 pm as we could to ensure a prompt transition in to our room. We got to East Stroudsburg ahead of schedule and decided to call over and find out if we could check in a little bit earlier. I was advised by the person who answered that it would actually be best to register and check in prior to 4 because it gets very busy and the lines at the front desk can be long. I did as the young lady instructed and arrived early to register. With some time to kill before 4 o’clock I went to the closest Wal-Mart and stocked up on food for the refrigerator, including a lot of frozen foods, milk and refrigerated products. At 4:15 pm I returned to the resort with my road weary gang in tow and was definitely ready to unpack and start my vacation. To my surprise, I was told that not only was my room not ready, but it was being cleaned and they would have to take my cell phone number and call me when it would be available. HUH?! I’ve stayed at many hotels and resorts and never have I been told I could not check in at my scheduled check-in time. How could the room not be ready? So, I took my family and all my melting food for another scenic ride around the Pocono Mountains hoping that within 45 minutes I would be receiving a phone call. After not hearing anything, I returned to Shawnee hoping they couldn’t reach me due to bad cell service. While I waited to speak to a desk associate, I encountered another patron who was muttering loudly about how furious she was about her room not being ready. We made eye contact in that way that perfect strangers with a common problem do…non-verbally communicating to each other that we were in the same boat. As we waited and chatted, she explained that she too had travelled a distance and not only that, was travelling with a 4 month old baby and her room was also not ready. We were both still comparing our situations when the clerk called me and told me my room was ready…it was now about 5:30 pm. I was beyond furious at this point. I mustered the best demeanor I could with the clerk since it was clearly a housekeeping management issue.

Ahhhh…finally, we pulled in to our parking spot, unloaded all of our things and swung open the door to our lodging…and nearly got knocked out by the musty, moldy smell that permeated the entire first floor. It smelled like the place had been locked up all winter and never aired out, which is highly likely, but none the less completely UNACCEPTABLE!!! It was disgusting. The first floor is where you are supposed to prepare food, eat it and relax in the living space. All of that was impossible because it smelled so bad. I immediately began to air out the place opening the front and back door. Instead of settling in, we ended up dropping everything on the second floor and going out for dinner. As far as we were concerned our vacation was off on the wrong foot and that was that. Calls to the front desk to get rid of the mold were met with apologies and an offer to take care of the problem. That would have been great had the first solution not been to sprinkle carpet freshening powder on the old rug in the living room. The second day I complained, a machine was brought in that needed to be plugged in and ran for several hours with the caveat that we shouldn’t stick around while the machines chemicals were spraying into the air. Gee, thanks! So, another day of not relaxing in our room…we spent the entire day out, but didn’t plug in the machine because we were so freaked out about the chemicals.

Needless to say, by the last day of our trip, the room naturally began to smell fine (or maybe we just got used to it). I gave Shawnee two stars because the whole point of taking a vacation is that sometimes you want to sit around and do nothing. We were never able to fully relax because of the bad smell and it set the tone for our entire trip. Our family members who stayed at Shawnee also complained about the smell in their room. Between the ridiculous wait, the poor communication, the smelly room and the non-chalant attitude of the staff, I don’t see myself booking Shawnee again which is a shame because it would be a really nice vacation spot it they had any customer service skills at all.

Upon checking out, I voiced my concerns to the manager on duty and she basically shrugged her shoulders and did nothing to rectify the situation. That shrug lost Shawnee our business. We travel to the Poconos once or twice a year and on our way out of town we found a lovely, brand new Staybridge with a kitchenette, free breakfast, a pool and two bedroom suites. Guess where we will be staying when we return to East Stroudsburg.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the main building.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank TraceyTravelDiva
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This is a brand new resort area at Shawnee Village which is three years old! The units/condos are beautiful, CLEAN and well appointed. The two bedrooms/2 bathrooms are huge with a washer /dryer being a plus! Kitchen area has granite countertops and everything you need for a great vacation. We enjoyed the screened in porch every night!! Flat screen TV's in every room!! Plenty of golf courses in the area and only a 1/2 hr ride to the Mt Airy Casino! The flea market at Foxmoor Plaza is a must!! Lots of great restaurants! Also outlets over in Tannersville a 15 min ride ! Love it there and plan to go back!!

Room Tip: Ask to stay at Crestview!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank petcat47
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We arrived at 4:30 when check in was at 4, and our unit was not ready. We were told to call later to see if it was ready. But with no cell service in the resort area, that was not very convenient we couldn't even use the pool until our unit was ready since we could not check in...

So we left the resort to find a place for dinner but when we returned at 6pm, our unit was still not ready....... Only after for asking for compensation for a 2 hour delay at check in, we were offered a late check out.

In conversation with a member of the staff after check in, we found out that the resort is understaffed which is why our unit was not cleaned and ready for 4pm check in.

After arriving at our unit, we noticed the following:
- It was very smelly (mold & mildew)
- Ashes all over the floor in the living room from the fire place
- Very dirty back porch (no screened in like the pictures on the website show)
- Dust on the counter tops
- Mold in the showers
- The air conditioning unit and tv were at least 15 years old and barely worked
- No extra toilet paper in the bathrooms

On day 4, I stopped by the front desk on the way out in the morning and asked for extra toilet paper and was told they couldn't give it to me, but would ask maintenance to drop it off.

When we arrived back at our unit 9 hours later, toilet paper was not dropped off and I had to call back.

When maintenance finally showed up with 1 roll when we were out in all 3 bathrooms, I was told I could only have 1 roll. The maintenance person informed me that the delivery was delayed and they didn't have enough toilet paper to even stock each unit much less give me 3 rolls for the 3 bathrooms in our unit. So we had to go out and buy toilet paper...... ridiculous!!!!

So bottom line is that it was not worth the money or aggravation.....

I should have rented a house and next time I will.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Bettybad1974
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 30, 2012

It took a long time to check in and the rooms looked old. Wasn't a great experience overall. Won't stay here again!

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MFP626
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#1 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
#1 of 4 in Shawnee on Delaware

Been to Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort? Share your experiences!