All reviewsscreened in porchbuttermilk fallsback porchlarge kitchenwasher dryertwo storytwo bedroom villawelcome centerflat screenolder unitsnice resortwhirlpool tubdvd playerother resortsactivity centerthe delaware water gapfamily vacation
Reviewed January 21, 2012

We have been coming to Shawnee every year for MLK weekend for the past 4 years. We exchange through RCI so my only disappointment is we book for the week and only stay Sat and Sunday nights. There is no Friday check in or I would feet better about the transaction. Aside from that we enjoy our stay. We have now stayed at Fairway twice and River Village once. The rooms are just fine. In a 2 bedroom there is plenty of space with enough beds so that each of my 3 kids can have their own bed and my husband and I get a room. This year we just returned from our stay at the Fairway. It had a pullout sofa that one of my kids used because nobody wanted to share a bed. The kitchen was fine but we never really cooked. I made french toast for breakfast and there were plenty of kitchen supplies. I did the wash before coming home and did not have to do any laundry after getting home.
The best thing about the resort for us is the recreation staff. We ski most days then head over to the recreation center. The kids go for a swim in the nice pool, we can jump in the hottub if we want. The kdis then can do the planned activities with the staff while my husband and I relax and watch football. Activities this weekend included a game of dodgeball, movies, an ice cream social and Wii games. I am so relaxed knowing they are having fun in activities right next to where we can watch a game! I'm not sure I can talk them into doing this trip again but for a short weekend, it's close enough to home and loaded with activities.
We read great reviews about The Gem and Keystone and decided to try it. We read they have a Wings special on Sundays and really looked forward to it. Well, I don't want to do a whole review about the restaurant except to say --They were out of wings! The food was good otherwise but what a letdown. We were really thinking we could watch the game with the kids, try their mocrobrew and have wings. Better luck next time.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank notnow
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We are Presidential Reserve owners and we chose Crestview because of a recommendation of another Wyndham sales rep. The Cresview units are more like what you expect of Wyndham properties. We have stayed here twice in the 2 bedroom units...very nice except you have to pay AT&T for internet access...$30 for the week and it is s-l-o-w. No free internet at the rec/check in center either. The exercise area is lacking equipment or free weights, the pool is ok, the miniature golf is not the best. I would not spend my time at the rec center. We stayed in a 4 bedroom unit for family Christmas (12 plus an infant plus 2 day visitors). For whatever reason, the appliances in this unit weren't as sturdy as the 2 bedroom units. The dishwasher was horrible! Some of the back splash tiles fell off behind the stove. I found this funny...the chairs for the counters were too short to be used at the counter and too high to be used at the table. The thermostat for half the condo was on the inside of one of the bedrooms. The other was in the main room.

The staff was very good to us. We moved from a 2 bedroom unit to the 4 bedroom unit. They allowed us to stay in the 2 bedroom til the 4 bedroom was ready. I don't think they normally do this, but we had a recent surgery individual with us and I asked nicely. We were called as soon as the new unit was cleaned and we moved. We went to the "update" to receive the gift card to cover the cost of the internet. Session was good and no pressure to purchase as we are not purchasing any more. We needed more toilet paper and were told we had to come to the center for the rolls...not quite the presidential treatment we get at other places. We were only allowed 4 keys for the unit with 12 people. ODD.

We did make use of the free shuttle to Shawnee Mountain for a bit of skiing. The driver was very nice. Not much of the mountain was open because of the lack of snow, but we were able to ski all the runs in a little over a half hour, dodging folks, some of whom were skiing in the grass. They provided a lot of entertainment. DO NOT SHOP AT THE WALMART. It is a disgusting place. I don't know why the desk recommended it. Weis is a decent place to shop for groceries.

GPS cords took us nowhere near the check in center. Look for Ridge Top Road off Buttermilk Falls. Turn Left and pass under the stone archway to the check in area.

I was originally nervous to stay here because of the reviews here, but the Crestview condos are newer than the others. Hopefully Wyndham will be able to bring the other areas up to snuff.

10  Thank SkiBug5
Reviewed December 28, 2011

My family (2 parents and 3 college age children and on teen) stayed here for our Christmas vacation. We were at the golf resort villas and though they were rather dated (Brady Bunch comes to mind) they were clean and maintained. We had no complaints. We did wish that we had been able to use the indoor pool at the Inn rather then having to drive to the hospitality building (not in walking distance) it was still a nice trip. The pool and sauna were well maintained, and bingo night was a lot of fun. If you are looking for 4 star this is not for you, but if you are looking for clean and affordable this is it. We took a family vote and will return.

3  Thank Stefanie D
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Don't even think of making a reservation for any holiday. I made a reservations for three days in a two bedroom villa for the week between Christmas and New Years. They have an outrageous 30 day cancellation policy. I tried to cancel 32 days before check in and was met with a malfunctioning website (through which I should have been able to cancel) and an after hours recording on the reservation line. I tried the website again the following day to no avail. I called them on the day which would be 29 days prior to check in and they will not cancel the reservation and want to keep $1,100 for a room I won't be staying in over one day. Horrible customer service. Unreasonable policy.

4  Thank Teddy0915
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We arrived for our weekend getaway on a Friday night and it took 20 minutes to check in. When we got there the staff told us that we would have to switch rooms the next day. We did not understand why we would have to switch rooms because we were only going to be there two nights. We thought we would just dispute it when they called the next morning so we went on with our night. We knew the place would be outdated so we did not expect a lavish condo. We had a nice night of getting together with friends but we were not looking forward to the next day of having to switch rooms again. We had 8 people staying in the condo so it was a lot of stuff to move. The next morning we got a call around 10 wanting to know if we wanted to purchase a time share. We were just there for the weekend and did not want to buy a timeshare. After that they told us we would have to switch rooms even after going back and fourth about how much of an inconvenience it would be. We did not have a choice so we all packed up our bags and went to the main lobby to get the other keys. It took another 20 minutes for them to check us into the other room. We wasted an hour at least by packing all of our stuff, driving to the main lobby, checking in, and unpacking again. On just a weekend away it does not seem reasonable to make people move their stuff that much. We did not know when we booked the hotel that we would have to move half way through or else we probably would not have booked it. It was a total inconvenience and did not make any sense. We found it hard to believe that they could not have just given us a room that was open for two nights. When we got to the next room the master bathroom upstairs smelled like poop. It smelled like someone had just been in there right before we got there. The staff was so unfriendly and did not help with any questions that we had. They just made it seem like everything was out of their hands even though they should know which rooms were open and why we had to move. The hotel was unsatisfactory on all levels, we will not be returning, and you should not either.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends