“Convenient location, expensive, needs urgent upgrade”
Review of Fernwood Resort

Fernwood Resort
Howard Beach, New York
“Convenient location, expensive, needs urgent upgrade”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My husband, I and my 3 kids (3,6 & 9) stayed in this hotel for 2 nights over the President's day weekend. This hotel is conveniently located right across from the snowtubbing hills, but the price we paid was not worthy. The rooms were very small. It did not have a mini fridge or a microwave. The hotel really needs an upgrade. The TV and furniture were very old. The actual building was not properly maintain. The parking space was an ice rink. No signs of salt during the 2 days we were there. The swimming pool was dirty and the water was cold (at least for us) especially when it is super cold outside. I picked this hotel because it was close to the snowtubbing hills and I ignored other hotels which were cheaper but 10 miles away. I would strongly suggest travel a couple of more minutes, pay less and stay more comfortable. We realized that besides the snowtubbing place, there were no other places nearby (pharmacy, supermarket, restaurants). One positive point to mention is that staff was very friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Diana V
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
This review is for Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center, which is separately owned and operated from the Fernwood Resort and The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway. TripAdvisor has been notified of the incorrect posting.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Bayonne, NJ, United States
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Only good thing is close to home only 2 hours or less from NYC and onsite snow tubing.

Room was not really clean and fresh, was smelling like a propane tank, yes to repeat, we was strong propane smell inside the house and we had to cut short our vacation and left a day before as we had a small child and we adults we uncomfortable. The smell was from the AC/Room heater. Room was just OK for that $200+ price per night. Telephone was sitting on the toaster as cord was so short. So when you use toaster for bagel or bread, you have to disconnect the phone. Location of the sofa / bed is strange and when heating / cooling kicks in, you will have cold air on your head and it is so uncomfortable. Entry steps we not cleaned properly and there were snow and ice all over special on the parking spots. Wet used towel we all over the pool area but hard to get fresh dry towel, but I will not complain on this as I understand it was a long weekend and crowded. But we have many long weekends in USA and all vacation spots gets busy, why not learn from the previous experience of shortage of towels? There are so many small things this builds up to big.

To tell you the truth, it is a nice area and lots of things to do nearby and restaurants, bu this property should step up maintenance work of the condos.

1 Thank SDG118
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
First, please allow me to apologize for your dissatisfaction during your recent stay. We are continuously working on improving the resort from not only our own observations but also the valuable feedback we obtain from our guests. Our goal is to provide total guest satisfaction. I have forwarded your review to our General Manager so that he can discuss these matters with the appropriate Department Heads to ensure that your concerns do not occur in the future.

I have also asked our Maintenance Department to try and determine the villa in which you stayed, so that they may inspect the smell you noticed and make any necessary repairs.

Thank you for taking the time to review our Resort.

Travelers are raving about these East Stroudsburg hotels

Bricktown, New Jersey
Reviewed February 24, 2014

This was our 3rd trip to the Fernwood Resort. Please note we have only stayed in the "Villa" condos and not in the hotel so I cannot speak for the hotel rooms but I assume the service extends across the entire resort.
The Good:
2 hrs door to door for us so it is the perfect location for our group -3 families with 2 younger kids each -as the kids are not experienced skiers and don't yet need a bigger ski area than Shawnee Mountain.
The on site snow tubing is an easy outdoor activity for Sunday before heading home and this part of the resort seems to be fairly well run. They also gave us the group rate as we had 12 total people.
The Bad:
Top of the list of bad this trip was the pool house -it did not seem that anyone from the resort was monitoring or maintaining the area. Dry towels were not on the rack as they should be, but there were plastic bags full of the (small and not very absorbent) towels piled in the fitness center attached to the pool. The toilet in the mens shower/changing area was clogged and disgusting. There were piles of used towels everywhere. No rules being enforced around pool area. Yes, guest should have more respect for themselves and others, but what do you expect when the folks running the place have no respect for the guests?
Our villa itself was not terrible, but lots of little things add up to a bad experience. Here's my list:
-Walkway and steps to front door coated with ice -I know it's been a really cold winter but, Hey how about a little rock salt? Or at least leave me a shovel. Do you really want guest slipping and falling on your property?
-Broken coffee machine -it was necessary to weigh the top of the unit down with plates as the latch for the top was broken and the coffee would not drip if the top was not locked down
-No pillows for the pull out sofa
-Very few cooking items in the kitchen (not expecting a full kitchen but how about more than 1 pan)
-Cable TV reception poor on about 1/2 the channels -I mean it's cable not an antenna!
-DVD player broken -or at least we weren't smart enough to make it work
-Possible mouse poop -can't say for sure, my Sister-in-law says it was. I'm not a biologist and no mouse in my house for comparison.
None of these things in and of themselves would cause me undo concern, but as a whole they paint a fairly poor picture.
It seems that every year things get a little bit worse. That is not the way to encourage repeat business. Guess we will have to start looking at taking the kids to Vermont or somewhere else in the Poconos.
Sorry Fernwood, shape up or we ship out!

3 Thank DanFPop
I sincerely apologize that you had a less than desirable stay with us. As I read your review I grew increasingly disappointed. I can assure you that this is not our usual standard.

The hotel rooms at The Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center are owned and operated separately from The Fernwood Resort and The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway.

I have passed your review along to our Director of Recreation for her review regarding the indoor pools so that she may ensure that your experience does not occur in the future.

As you mentioned our region has had a cold winter, on top of all of the snow and ice storms we have had in the last couple of weeks. Our Maintenance Department and Grounds Crew have worked diligently to keep both Tree Tops and Fairway clear for our guests and in addition each villa is equipped with rock salt in the foyer closet.

I have asked our Quality Assurance Team to try and determine the villa in which you stayed so that an inspection can be done to ensure the items you have mentioned have been repaired and or replaced. I only wish you had made your displeasure known to us so that we may have addressed or relocated you to another villa.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and concerns.
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Where should I start

well...the good

The room we had (Fairway villa) was very spacious, albeit slightly dirty and very outdated. The on-site snowtubing was very nice. The trolley service is, in theory, good, but see below. The reservation department over the telephone (1800 fernwood i think) was very nice and friendly. Darrell (AND ONLY DARRELL) in the fronk desk area was very nice and professional. The pool was ok.

Now, the bad:

I guess I should start in chronological order. I originally booked this wknd trip for myself, my wife and my 4 kids (2 teenagers and 2 very little kids). Reservations quoted me a package deal for a 2 bedroom in the Fernwood hotel, which included 2 adult lift tickets at Shawnee for one day. A bit pricey, but I expected that from an "all-service ski resort" like this place was advertised. I booked it (right then and there, i was doomed). I went online to the hotel website and noticed what the resort had, pools, onsite snow tubing, etc, and a 11am checkout time for the Fernwood hotel....a bit early with teenagers, but I could live with that. One website I didnt check out was a certain website called "tripadvisor.com"....will NEVER book another hotel without checking this first...that was my bad completely.

Then, we arrived on Friday, Feb 7th. Pulled up to the hotel and went in to check in. Was told to check in at the Fairway desk. Was then advised that my room was actually up the hill in the "Villa" Section of the Fairway golf course, not the hotel. I was then told that checkout time was 10am....yes 10am. I then engaged the front desk guy, who had the personality of a railroad tie (sorry to insult railroad ties by comparing them to him) who just said nothing when I questioned the ridiculously early checkout time and the fact that I didnt book the Fairway, I booked the hotel. Where do they find these people? Dont ignore me and just ask me for my credit card! I wasn't being mean, just inquisitive. People skills much? After I was ignored, I figured well "what choice do I have now" so I got my keys but before I leave for my room, but all of a sudden Mr. Personality offers me a free night's stay in return for me attending a "presentation". I politely said no as I knew what it was, a time share sales pitch.

We then went to our room. Now, to be fair, we were told that housekeeping was only available for "a fee", and was not included, as was the internet wifi, on the website. Included in our room was a washer and drier (with no soap/detergent), a few bars of soap in the bathrooms (but no shampoo...will get to that later), and one trial size of dishwashing detergent. Unless we paid for it, housekeeping doesnt come, which means we must wash our own sheets and towels. I didnt realize I was paying over 650 dollars for a week-end at the Ronald McDonald house (again, no offense meant to the RMDH)....but wash them with what? Apparently there is a bring your own detergent policy at this dump. Unbelievable. And boy did we need it...with a big family and only like 5 glasses and 5 plates in the kitchen? The villa was huge with 3 floors...they are supposed to acccommodate big families....supply some more plates, glasses and utensils! would it kill you? Oh, and I have to mention that we are responsible for taking out our own garbage to boot. Should have just thrown the whole week-end out in the trash...that's where it belonged.

Wifi was advertised, yet we couldn't get on the first night. So what do I do, call the front desk of course! Got another cretan this time....I mentioned that we couldnt access the net.....the answer I got "Well you know, there is a fee for it".....what??? I said, politely "I know..but we can't get on the net"....I was then told to go on a different web browser....tried, still fail. Then, here's the kicker....I was told "Well it isnt our problem you have to call ATT for that"....apparently it is Fernwood's policy to make their CUSTOMERS (notice how i dont call them guests) do their work for them. It was my job to sit on hold with a service provided they chose (not me) to provide internet service. Some good that did....they couldnt help me, until the next day when it started to work. Thanks Fernwood....can I get the fronk desk employees some coffee now? Apparently I am on their payroll but I aint' getting a dime.

My daughter, get this, wanted to take a shower Friday night, but get this, NO SHAMPOO. Ok, so I call housekeeping and speak to April (hereinafter referred to us "April the liar"). I was told that they dont supply shampoo in the rooms (that would make WAYYYY too much sense) but that if I left a message on the housekeeping voicemail, they would bring some by. Ok...so I did and 30 mins go by....I call again...this time another lackey at housekeeping answers and told me that "there is no shampoo on the entire property" and that I would have to go to the convenient store to get it....so I mentioned my convo with April...so April gets on the phone and repeats what I was just told...no shampoo on the entire property. Then why did I waste my time following her instructions? She flat out lied to me.

I then called the front desk for I believe the 3rd time..this time I was calling to express my dissatisfaction with this resort and speak to a manager. I was transferred to Darrell...one of the only competent people working at this resort (I'm sure by now he has been fired for being overqualified). He listened to me and offered me an 11am Sunday checkout as "compensation" . I accepted it graciously and thanked him.....turns out the only better compensation would be a checkout maybe on.....perhaps Friday evening with a full refund? But I took what i could get. Kudos to Darrell for being a human being and for a minute, and only a minute, I actually felt sort of like a wanted guest vs a "get out of my face" customer.

That was Friday....the highlights of Saturday were the following:

1. Got a phone call from front desk in the middle of the day....wait, was it to apologize? Of course not, it was to sell me THAT TIMESHARE again! I mean really??? I found it hard to be polite but I was, and said no thanks, we were already asked...but then the follow up questions..we'll make time for you if you are busy.....I SAID NO. Then I hung up. I had had enough at that point.

2. My wife and 2 little kids wanted to use the pool, so she called the trolley to pick them up. The trolley guy did and dropped them off at the pool....what? something went well???? Call the press! Not so fast.....the trolley guy was called when my wife was done (mind you she had an infant and a toddler with her....I was off at Shawnee with my older two) and was told to pick them up....tick tick tick tick ....time passes, kids getting ornery, no trolley guy. Finally, my wife sees the trolley guy, but he wasnt there for her! So he looks at her and says "you're still here?"......my wife was then told "he forgot about them, sorry"....wow, an apology? This guy actually jumped into 2nd place behind Darrell with that apology (wayyyy behind him) even though he forgot about picking up my wife and two young children. Sad, Very sad.

Sunday morning...a wonderful day....checking out of this dump at the unreasonably late hour of 11am. Don't forget to take the bedding off of all beds and put the sheets in the shower! God forbid I forget to do my own housekeeping so that the next unfortunate customers can enjoy their time in h e double hockey sticks.

Please if I can influence one person NOT TO STAY HERE, then the time spent writing this will not be in vain.

Thank you.

11 Thank scottd813
New York
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed for two nights. Upon check in I discovered the previous guest had decided to smoke cigarettes and weed in the walk in closet?! After multiple calls to the front desk and housekeeping where no one bothered to pick up, I had to call 888 reservation number to request new linens to make up sofa bed as ours smelled like skunk. Blankets were also stained. Rooms were over all grimy. Indoor pool was closed although I was told it was open. Went to different indoor pool next day and was shocked again by how dirty and in disrepair it was. The pictures are not an accurate representation. Bottom line if you're compelled to stay, keep expectations low and bring your Lysol wipes.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Ziavia
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
We thank you for your feedback and apologize for your displeasure with your accommodations.

I have asked our Housekeeping Manager to try and determine the villa in which you stayed, so that an inspection can be completed to ensure that the villa has been properly cleaned.

I have also shared your review with our Director of Recreation with regards to the closure and cleanliness of the pools, so that she may discuss this with the Recreation staff.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and concerns.
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed February 17, 2014

First, we found a used condom when we moved the bed. Then, we found out there was no hot water. We called the first night and at 9pm. maintenance came and checked out the hot water. He said he reset it and to wait 1 ½ hour for the hot water to run. We called again at 10:30PM to let them know that we still had no hot water and were told that someone will come at 7:30 AM to address the issue. We called at around 8:30 the following morning. Another guy came and looked. By the time we came back from skiing at 7:30 PM, we still had no hot water. They sent another guy, Kevin, maintenance manager, who found that the pipe on our unit was leaking so he had to turn off the water supply completely. He told us he would give us that night free for all our trouble. We had to use wipes while we wait for another Villa, which we didn’t get until close to 10PM. The next Villa stank of curry on the upper floor and of cat urine on the lower floor. We were told by housekeeping that they would send someone to spray the room. After all the trouble we’ve been through, you would think the least they could do was make the rest of our stay comfortable. We didn’t see housekeeping until the following day and not because she was there to spray the room but because the room was marked as unoccupied on her list. When I went to check out, I inquired on how we will get reimbursed for the night Kevin told us we would have free. All three ladies at the desk practically laughed at my face and stated that Kevin had no authority to give any room for free. I went back to the car and told my husband what I’ve been told. He then went in and spoke to the same women, who now have the authority to give us one of the nights for free. I went in to get the transaction done since our stay was on my credit card. When I voiced my frustration about having to shell out $449 (our stay cost $728) for all the stress, the same women we’ve been dealing with sneered and said, “At least you got a night free. Did you really think you’d get your whole stay for free?” No, I expected to pay $728 and have a rare stress free weekend and not deal with all I just mentioned, and not to have to apologize to my kids for not being able to bring them to the pool because we spent the rest of our stay waiting for maintenance and repacking to move to another unit. As a per diem nurse who works practically every weekend, my weekends are valuable to me. We still haven’t gotten any kind of apology or heard from management. First, when we asked for a manager at 7:30pm on the second night, we were told there was no management on duty until 9AM. When we checked out at 11AM, we were told management is only there from 3pm-11pm. So, where was he the night before? We have stayed at this facility before and it was fine if you end up with a decent room. But cross your fingers you don’t end up with problems or you won’t find anyone who’d accept accountability.

4 Thank Sil G
First and foremost I would like to apologize for the disappointments you encountered during your stay with us. I can understand your concerns in not getting the vacation you had planned for with your family.

The issues you noted in your comments regarding both villas should indeed have been noted and corrected prior to the units being released for check in. I have passed along your review to our Housekeeping Manager, so that she may address your comments with the staff.

I have also spoken to our Guest Services Director regarding the level of customer care that you received, so that he may addressed the staff to ensure this experience is not repeated.

I would like to personally thank you for taking time to bring this to our attention and giving our resort a review.
Monroe, New Jersey
Reviewed February 2, 2014

It was not bad at all, we stayed in a kind of old villa, they have all that they promise, nothing more nothing less, they have snowtubing on the site, one thing to remember is when you got to PA for any of Snow Tubing, Skiing or any other activities look out for coupons, on the internet or brochures / fliers in the front-desk and you can sure save some money, near the snow tubing there is also an awesome grill restaurant, very very friendly staff - forget her name, but very good food for a very nominal price, there is swimming pool and the water was pretty warm considering the weather, it was definitely worth every penny. We were happey with our stay, home after from home.

Room Tip: It is definitely worth the stay, try to get newer suites than older ones, we stayed in older ones.