“The Villas Are A Good Value”
Review of Fernwood Resort

Fernwood Resort
Reviewed November 6, 2013

If you are looking for a five star hotel, this is not your place. (Try to find a five star hotel in the Poconos!) My wife and I wanted a quick getaway near New York and decided to try Fernwood's Villas at Treetops. We did some internet research and found out that Treetops is separate from Fernwood Resort which is a hotel with hotel type rooms, although they share the same check in facility. We booked a one bedroom villa at Treetops because it had an electric fireplace and we thought it would be quaint. I read many, many horrible reviews before we came out and I was apprehensive. To cut to the chase, we were very pleased with the villa. Treetops is a timeshare and they rent out unoccupied units. The exterior of the buildings do need some paint and power washing, but we found the interior of the unit to be just fine. We weren't expecting the Waldorf Astoria. (I’ve stayed there too and I liked my villa better.) This place is a timeshare and the carpets and furniture aren't replaced every year. If you want that, you should look somewhere else. (If you find a place in the Poconos that does that, let the rest of us know...) The carpets and furniture are old, but they were clean and serviceable. What hotel is going to rent you a two story one bedroom suite with a full kitchen, dining area, living room and half bath on the first floor and a full bath and bedroom with a queen bed on the second floor for $200 a night? The place was clean, the staff was friendly and accommodating, they had a shuttle bus to take you to on site entertainment - it was a bargain as long as you weren't expecting to be treated like a visiting monarch. If you are fussy, don't go here. If you want good value for your dollar and a pleasant experience, try it. You are expected to strip the beds and put out the trash on departure, but that's what staying at a timeshare is all about. It saves you money. We plan to return.

Room Tip: I think the "studio villas" are just hotel rooms in a different part of the resort. It lo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. Our staff works diligently to ensure each guest enjoys every moment while with us. We are pleased we were able to succeed in making your trip to the Fernwood Resort and The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway a great one.

Our resort offers many different villa accommodations to offer families and friends of all sizes.

As you mentioned, the Fernwood Resort and The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway are separately owned and operated from The Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center.

I would like to take this moment to reassure you that the current direction of The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway is a positive one. We continue to make improvements property wide and this plan of action will continue.

It is always our pleasure to serve our guests by welcoming them into a friendly, relaxing atmosphere. We pride ourselves in offering the ultimate vacation experience, and look forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Hi,

I stayed there this past weekend. The Villa was nice but the Sofa and carpert were Very Very Very dirty.. I couldnt even sit on the sofa it was that bad i had to take a sheet and put it over the sofa so we could sit on it. The Check out is also very early and there isnt anywhere close by to getting something good to et.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

We thank you for your feedback and apologize for your displeasure with your accommodations.

I have shared you review with our Housekeeping Manager, so that she may address the housekeeping staff on your observations. I only wish you had reached out to our Front Desk or Guest Services Director during your stay, as we could have addressed all of your concerns at that time to ensure you had a most enjoyable stay.

We appreciate feedback from our guests and use it to our advantage. We are striving daily to improve our guests overall vacationing experience.

Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went for alone time. The villa was nice. Showing its age a little though. The queen bed was very stiff. The paint and wall paper in the bathroom were peeling. Not enough to ruin the visit, but enough to notice. The room had a small kitchenette, table, pull out couch, and flat screen tv. The hot tub in the bathroom was a nice treat. There is plenty to do onsight and close to all the major attractions in the area.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. Our staff works diligently to ensure each guest enjoys every moment while with us. We are pleased we were able to succeed in making your trip to the Fernwood Resort and The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway a great one.

I would like to take a moment to reassure you that the current direction of the property is a positive one. We have made significant improvements property wide and this plan of action will continue into the coming years. I have asked our Quality Assurance Team to try and determine the villa in which you stayed, so that an inspection can be done and the items you listed can be repaired.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stay here with my family often. Every year the villas are getting more and more disgusting. It seems as though the staff has totally given up on property. My 2 bedroom villa had mold growing under the sink in the bathroom. There was hair all over the floor. Saying the carpet was dirty is an understatement. Cigarette burns, stains, worn just ridiculous. There were dead bugs in the kitchen. I had to use my own bedding because the throw is dirty and there were stains on the sheets. Who is inspecting theses villas (the blind) no offense. The list goes on and on.

Management really need to take a look at what's going on around them. It's a shame that Fairway villas look the way they do and us owners spend a lot of money on the maintenance on this facility. It starts at the top! If management is not being held accountable for the issues with the facility then why should the staff. It's a shame because the area is wonderful. Lead by example managers!!!! Get it together.

Room Tip: Bring your own cleaning supplies and bedding if you want to be comfortable. Always wear socks or sli...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

First, please allow me to apologize for your dissatisfaction during your recent stay. We are continuously working on improving the resort from not only our own observations but also the valuable feedback we obtain from our guests. Our goal is to provide total guest satisfaction.

I have contacted our Quality Assurance Team to try and determine which villa you stayed in, so that a thorough inspection can be completed with regard to the problems you listed. These items should indeed have been noted and corrected prior to the unit being released for check-in. Our inspection process is usually quite thorough and I would apologize for any shortfalls in our more typical standards of presentation on this occasion.

I would also like to take this moment to reassure you that the current direction of the property is a positive one. The owners continue to make improvements property wide and this plan of action will continue as we determine what areas of the resort will benefit from upgrades and enhancements.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was looking for a nice place to take my girlfriend hiking for the weekend. A friend suggested the Poconos. Not having been there, I looked on line and found the Fernwood Resort. The online pictures looked good so I booked it. Well online reality and reality are two very different things.
The room was dirty, musty smelly, just gross. Check out the pictures. We decided to try to get another room. We called the front desk and were told that the resort was completely booked. My girlfriend pointed out that there were no cars. How can you be completely booked with no one there? So we went to the front desk. The front desk was shocked that their resort was crap. Not so good acting, but they offered us another room. We tried. In this room the Queen bed somehow shrunk. Must be mold shrinkage. Again the front desk was shocked to find out that their room wasn't up to par. They upgraded us to a one bedroom. This room was not moldy and semi clean. So we took this room. The bed had a sheet and a bedspread, you know, the thing they never wash even in good hotels. We found one blanket in the closet.

Just do your self a favor and don't stay there.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

I would like to thank you for your review of our resort.

The Fernwood Resort and The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway would like to send our apologies as to the maintenance and housekeeping issues that you encountered. While those comments troubled me, I was very happy to hear that our Front Desk staff was able to upgrade your room to a one bedroom. The Fernwood Resort and the Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway pride itself on excellent guest service standards and I am sorry that we fell short of your expectations for your accommodations.

We continue to make improvements property wide and we hope that in the future you might keep our location in mind when visiting the Poconos.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

My husband and I rented a studio villa for the weekend and we couldn't have been happier. The grounds are beautiful. Our unit was very nice. Clean and comfortable. A kitchenette, a very nice large bathroom. We had a patio that looked onto the golf course. Quiet and peaceful. A very pleasant stay. We plan on staying there again in the future.

Room Tip: The villas that are on the golf course have more privacy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. Our staff works diligently to ensure each guest enjoys every moment while with us. We are pleased we were able to succeed in making your weekend trip to the Fernwood Resort and The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway a great one.

Our villa accommodations, are designed for all to enjoy families, couples and singles alike.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family again in the future

Reviewed October 7, 2013

It wasn't the worst place we ever stayed in, but not great. We booked a two night fall hiking package, arrived on a Saturday and check in was smooth. Drove up to our tree top villa, just a one bedroom on the bottom floor. Lots of damage to the property here and there. The kitchen cabinets did not shut, microwave door closed but had a piece broken off, the refrigerator door had mold on the rubber strip. I didn't use the burners, only microwave and toaster. Was convenient to have though. It had a nice dining area. The bathroom was ok, no real place to hang towels which was annoying. The sofa bed faces the bed and the tv was in a corner of the room that you could only view by sitting on the bed which was a bit awkward. The dresser drawers did not open or shut properly either. There was a large closet with a few wire hangers which was fine for only a two day stay. Place needs a lot of upgrades at least in the villa we were in. There also was no Wi-Fi for a regular laptop which was a bit annoying when we tried to look up places to go eat or explore. All in all for the price of approx. 250 for two nights, not impressed and probably would not stay again unless I heard it was fixed up ALOT. They did ask if you would do the tour which I would assume is to sell timeshare maybe for the nicer area of the property but we were not interested in coming back. You also did have to strip the bed yourself and put your own garbage out to the curb.
We ate at the sports bar one night, only food place open on the property. Other restaurant had shut down because no business in it. Deli wasn't open at night. Food was ok in Bleachers but not wonderful. Server was a great young girl and very friendly.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

I sincerely apologize that you were disappointed with your stay and for the concerns you reported in your comments, I only wish you had made your displeasure known to us so that we may have addressed or relocated you to another villa that would have been more to your liking. I can assure you that I have referred the villa to our Quality Assurance Team for a thorough inspection and I will investigate why these issues were not addressed prior to the villa being released for check in.

The restaurant’s and Deli that you are referring to are owned and operated by Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center which is owned and operated separately from the Fernwood Resort and The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway. I do apologize on their behalf that they were not opened during your stay with us. Fernwood Resort offers our Wintergreens Patio Grill, which offers many different theme nights and is located by our Tubing Park and Pro Shop.

We are continuously working to improve our resort and hope you will have an opportunity to visit again and see the changes.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek

Been to Fernwood Resort? Share your experiences!