“steer clear....”

Fernwood Resort
New York City, New York
“steer clear....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

DO NOT STAY AT THIS SO CALLED "HOTEL/RESORT..."

We decided to stay at the Rot-wood resort due to the proximity to the PEEC. A friend was having their reception at the PEEC.. I've stayed at a lot of hotels around the world, from 5star to 2 star, given the location, my expectations were ultra low.. our main concern was a clean room........

Driving by the location I thought it seemed acceptable... i should have recognized this place was a complete sheet-hole.. We had a few issues.... Prior to making the reservation, we had requested early check-in of 12pm, it was conveyed to me this would be a non-issue.. Front desk mentioned we should call the day of to ensure the room was available.. Call was made the morning of our travels, and the woman on the other line indicated to checkin @ 12 would require us to pay for an additional night... Como se dice bull-sheet... I requested to speak to the supervisor, and he was very cordial and accommodating... we were permitted early checkin..

Upon entering our room, it was as though I had traveled back to the 1980s... the room adjacent to us had their door kicked in.... and the room was either being renovated or trashed... Given the condition of the room was mediocre, at best.... we requested to change it to one of the Tree Top villas across the street....

Woman at the front desk informed me explicitly villas were unavailable for this weekend and it was also 239 per night.. she said i could try speaking to the reservation dept.. I called and the woman in their reservation group indicated rooms were unavailable due to an event taking place.... I'm not really someone that likes to hear the answer - NO...... So I decided to make a couple of calls... long story short, a villa was made available to us for 139 per night... The funny thing was, they told everyone villas were unavailable.. that being said, throughout our stay, we noticed most of the parking lots were empty... SUSPECT...

At this point, we were relatively satisfied... Knowing the villas appeared cleaner.... we had picked up a few snacks during our travel, and one night i must have dropped a dorito chip on the floor prior to sleeping....

When I awoke the following morning, i saw what resembled the chip, except it appeared to be all black.... i thought perhaps doritos have a very short shelf life or some sort of GMO had affected it... Anyways, as I walked closer I realized the dorito chip I dropped was completely covered with Ants.... Ants were everywhere... All the ants in PA decided to make a pilgrimage to eat the one and only available dorito in PA....
There is only one time in my life where I have seen something like that and this is when I visited a developing/third world country!! I never expected to see this in PA!!

Note - photo attached below.

In Conclusion - if health, cleanliness, bug free/well maintained rooms are priorities, keep driving to the Holiday Inn.... or better yet, sleep in ur vehicle, pitch a tent... and take a shower in a lake....

Room Tip: Choose a more commerical hotel - ie hitlon.... Perhaps bringing a can of Raid would help.....
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you so much for reviewing our resort. The Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center are seperatley owned and operated from The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway. I would like to apologize on their behalf for the difficulty checking in. I was happy to see that we were able to accommodate you on such a busy weekend and even get you checked in early. I am sorry about the ants that you encountered when you left open food out over night. If you had called our maintenance department they would have been more than happy to rectify that situation.
Thank you again for giving us a review and for visiting our resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

After endless trips to the Poconos and my second stay at Fernwood, all I can say is that a third time would only be considered because cost

My first time staying at Fernwood Resort I got lucky and spent the weekend in a the cheesiest, best as can be Pocono Suite. After years of seeing the commercials I was checked in a room with a heart shaped hot tub, round bed surrounded by mirrors ( on the walls and ceiling) and an actual sauna in the room. The room was pure Poconos! The hotel itself needed a major uplift. The rest of the hotel was outdated and needed repairs. But with that said it did offer alot. Many pools- indoor and out, tubing in the winter a decent location to get around to and from

This time around we booked The Villas at Fernwood/Fairway- not even sure what the actual name was. It was last minute and extremely reasonable so we went for it

Check in was easy , friendly staff and there was a villa studio available by noon which was great! We arrived and the villa was decent, its basically a shared townhouse with two splits- the studio was downstairs which had a kitchenette with all plates and kitchen needs and a fridge ( larger than a beer fridge).The bathroom had a separate shower and a huge hot tub, the room had a huge closet and a queen decent bed, two balconies and a dining set it all seemed ok but you couldn't help noticed how out dated the rooms were and how it also needed some TLC.
Now the not so good- No one at check-in or the hotel tells you that if you rent a villa you are not initialed to the hotel offerings- AKA the ice machine. We were told that we could not use the ice machine because we had a villa oppose to a room. Toilet paper- we were there two night and were given one roll and was told they do not 'replenish". I feel that at last they should tell you on the site of at check in that the villa comes bare until someone comes and replenishes you

There's plenty of pools ( indoor and out) filled with kids and family's, BBQ, mini golf and tons to do if you have the time

We unfortunately shared the unit with the people upstairs that were the obnoxious neighbors that anyone would hate. The spent the entire weekend slamming doors, running down and up stairs and what sound like a mix of moving furniture and wrestling all at the same time. They took up two spaces for just one car. Even though it has nothing to do with the actual unit- all I can say is that you hear everything at ALL times. Every time they slammed a door our doors moved, everything the wrestled it felt like they were in the same room.

The hotel /villas would be a better stay with some tlc, communication and sound proof doors

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pastytravels
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you very much for giving our resort a review. I was thrilled to hear that you enjoyed how cost efficient our property is and that you will be returning! You mentioned that our resort has numerous recreational activities. I have good news! The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway will be opening up two more additions to the property this summer, that we are absolutely ecstatic about. The new activities will be our Blue Lightening Summer Tube Hill and our Pocono TreeVentures ropes course.

I would like to apologize for the confusion about additional supplies needed in your villa. Our normal procedure is that if a guest runs out our inventory department will deliver the supplies. Also, the noise that you were hearing in your villa is unacceptable. If you encounter noise like that again please contact our Front Desk. Each of our guests deserves the opportunity to rest and relax.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to having you on your next getaway!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

My wife and I spent a pleasant week in a three bedroom villa in mid-May. This was one of the newer villas located on the extremities of the resort, so we had a great view of the surrounding woods and the Poconos. The villa was spacious and comfortable, with all the amenities of a four-star hotel, and then some. Downstairs there was a fully-apportioned kitchen, dinning room, living room, half bathroom, and outdoor deck. Upstairs, were three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and closet with a washer and dryer. The master bedroom had a high, vaulted ceiling, a king-size bed, a fireplace, and a luxe bathroom with a Jacuzzi and dry sauna. There were TVs in all the bedrooms and in the living room. Everything was very clean and in order.

All in all, we had a very relaxing time and enjoyed our villa very much. However, there were some things that could be improved upon:

While the villa was clean and in good order, some of the wear and tear was obvious. Upstairs there were scuff marks on one wall, and a sizable dent on another. Other places I noticed cracks or tears in the wall paper. The deck wood didn't appear to be treated, so it was cracked and warped in many places. I feel these are issues that housekeeping could take care of easily.

The fire alarm in the kitchen is very sensitive, so be warned! I was making breakfast one morning, and it was smoking a little because I was not used to cooking in the non-stick pans that were in the kitchen. The fire alarm went off and it was deafeningly loud! It was like a Klaxon siren blaring in your ear. There is no way you could sleep through that, and while it would be useful in a real emergency, for this situation, it was a horrible nuisance. About a minute or so later, as I was trying to figure out how to turn it off, housekeeping called to check on me. They sent someone out a few minutes later to turn it off.

My biggest annoyance was that the villa was not soundproof. There was a couple staying in the studio unit below us, and I could often hear them clearly through the walls either when they were talking or had the TV on. They weren't loud, but at times it seemed like they were in the same room with us. They were early risers, so the TV woke me in the morning. I admit that I do have sensitive hearing, and my wife was not bothered by it at all. But I think that management might do well to soundproof the rooms better.

When it was time to leave, there was a decent amount of housekeeping we had to do. I understood that all the dishes in the kitchen needed to be washed and put away, but we also had to strip all the beds and take out the trash. I'm not saying that is beneath me, but some people might think so. Would never have to do that at a hotel.

Finally, I think that 10:00 is rather early for check-out time. I understand that they need time to clean the villas, but considering all the housekeeping they want you to do before you leave, plus getting up, eating breakfast, packing, etc., I would think they would allow you more time. Makes for an early morning.

I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer, and I am sure some people (my wife included) would say I'm nit-picking. But Fernwood is trying to become a five-star resort, and as a person who has stayed at five-star resorts, I am trying to offer suggestions to help them achieve their goal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Kurt D
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
We appreciate your review of The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway! Our resort is always striving for excellent customer service and guest satisfaction. I would like to apologize if the fire alarm startled you.
Thank you for expressing your concerns and giving us your advice. I have shared your review with the apporiate departments.

I was glad to hear that your overall stay was enjoyable and we hope to see you again in the future!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We love to stay here we stayed here about 5 time it is nice and relaxing if you want to just relax this is the place the restaurant have some of the best food and everthing is $10 and under the pools are great there is so much things to do if you get a chance ask about the hiking

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Deezman
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
I love to read comments from returning guests! Thank you so much for the review and for letting us be your destination of choice. I’m glad that you enjoyed our restaurant that is conveniently located on property. If you haven’t tried the wings I suggest them for your next visit. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed the scenic hiking trails in the area. They make for a tranquil escape in any season. We appreciate your review and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Belleville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

This was our 3rd trip to this resort in the past year. The first two times we stayed in the Fairway Tree Tops and our last trip was to the Fairway Villas. Great place to stay with room for 10 however we only had 4 people. Much improved over the Tree Tops due to the space, cleanliness, and amenities. Will head back if available again.

3 Thank trailerparkk
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing our resort!

We always love to hear from loyal guests. I am so happy to learn that you have enjoyed our facilities on numerous occasions. The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway strive for excellent and consistent service. It makes me proud to hear that we are accomplishing our goals.

We hope to see you again soon to make your next vacation as memorable as your previous ones!
Salem, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed in a very nice studio, clean and well stocked. There are many things to do on the property. We went there mainly for golf. The course is nice and very reasonably priced. For families, there are pools, horse back riding, bumper boats, paintball,arcades and mini golf. We also noticed a tubing area for the winter. We did not try the onsite dining, but there were several options.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room away from holes 10 thru 18 which are mixed in with the units. We stayed on a...
2 Thank Disneygirl858
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you so much for reviewing our resort! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. In your review you took time to list some of our popular on site amenities as well as notify future guests of our on-site dining. Since we pride ourselves on being a family friendly resort, we offer an abundance of diverse activities to satisfy each member.

I noticed that you enjoyed our golf course, which has been popular with our guests and our local community for many years. We hope to see you again soon to make your next getaway as enjoyable as this one!
Bayonne, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

My fiance and I stayed from May 3- 5, 2013. We were really excited because we received a promotional price so that they could woo us with their service and try to get us to purchase a timeshare. We couldn't beat the price on such short notice. Problem number one, you can't find the resort with the directions or gps address they provide. Second, the place is infested with roaches of all sizes that commune in the refrigerator, dishwasher, and kitchen sink. Third, the quality of the bed and sheets... I've had better at hostel's in third world countries! The last and most irritation aside from the roaches, was the customer service. We were scheduled by the resort to take a 90 minute timeshare presentation a half hour before check out. We called starting Saturday evening all the way till the time of the presentation and no one wanted to help or then answer our phone calls. The manager at the front desk was a complete jerk who ignored our complaints. I have never been treated so poorly at any resort/hotel/hostel, ever! You couldn't pay me to visit that place again. It's hard to imagine that people own those villas. Unkempt, infested, and rude service. Who pays for that?!

2 Thank Kimberly R
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our property. Our resort always appreciates guest feedback so that we can continue to grow and improve. First and foremost, I would like to genuinly apologize for any inconviences that you incurred during your stay. Your complaint has been sent to our Mainteance Department so that they can try and determine which villa you stayed in to ensure that the concerns you have listed have been taken care of. The villas are all checked and treated on a regular basis to prevent inconveniences such as the one that you may have unfortunately endured. I have shared your review with the General Manager as well as the Director of Guest Services with regard to the customer service you received, so that they may address all of the staff.

I would like to thank you again for taking time to bring this to our attention and giving our resort a review.

Travelers are raving about these East Stroudsburg hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,984 reviews
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
#1 of 4 in Shawnee on Delaware

Been to Fernwood Resort? Share your experiences!