“Shabby, but still had fun.”
Review of Fernwood Resort

Fernwood Resort
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We just returned today from a one week trip to the Fernwood/Fairway/Treetop Resort. We are RCI owners at another resort and traded for this week because it was closer than our other place. I read all the reviews and came with an open mind.

We stayed in one of the Fairway Villas, 2BR 2 1/12 Bath. I loved the set up with the Master BR downstairs and the other bedroom up. One thing that is very apparent is the place is a little shabby and run down. The furniture was worn and did have a few holes in it but it was clean. The carpet was clean, not worn and no holes. The kitchen was very nicely set up with everything we needed. Everything was in working order and nothing broke down. One thing I did not like was the smoke smell we encountered when we first entered the villa. I do not know if the housekeeping staff was smoking there before we came in but it was very strong. We aired the place out for a few hours and it was fine after that. All in all, the villa was OK but it just has that general feeling of shabbiness. It is in dire need of updating and refreshing. I also with there was another TV in the upstairs bedroom, but it was not a big deal for us.

About the resort itself, I have almost no complaints. The area is really beautiful and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The trolley driver was an especially nice lady. We swam at three of the pools and they were all in good order and clean, with the exception of the hotel pool bathroom/changing was a bit dirty, but I am sure it sees alot of use.

The game room/arcade across from the front desk is HUGE. My son could have spent all day there but I did not come with an endless supply of quarters. We did play on the playground near the hotel and the one at Valley Station was especially nice. There are nice trails all around the property that we took advantage of as well. The ice cream social at the Activity Central was a bargin. 3 very large scoops of ice cream with your choice of the works for only $2 per person was great.

Our trip was overall an enjoyable one. If you are a large family and looking to spend most of your time out of your villa and you are not looking for luxury accomodations that this place should work for you. If you like peace and quiet, try to get a villa not close the main road (209) as it can get very noisy. The ones near the creek looked very quiet.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Fernwood Resort

Reviewed March 27, 2012

First let me begin by saying that I am not a huge complainer nor do I nitpick about every little thing. I merely call it like I see it. My boyfriend and I stayed at the Fernwood Hotel and were unfortunately very dissatisfied. We booked the Bushkill Falls couples suite package & called ahead to see if we were able to get the AAA discount which we were told yes and let them know we would be arriving early in the afternoon to pick up the falls tickets so that we could use them the day we arrived. Upon our arrival we were told that the tickets were not at the front desk and maybe we should just go the following day. We were somewhat surprised by that rude statement but little did we know we were in for many more surprises. We explained that we wanted to visit the falls that day because we were only staying one night and it was forecast to rain the next day. We were told that we should go to our room and wait for a call when the tickets arrived from another office. We were pleased that although we checked in early we were able to get a room right away (that is until we settled into the room) and that although the tickets weren’t already available upon arrival we did get the call to pick them up fairly quickly. The room appeared to be what most average motel rooms usually are. The room itself was reasonably large but outdated and musty. We decided to air out the room and sit outside on the balcony. Turns out there was no screen for the door and if we left it open for fresh air bugs flew in.
Later when we attempted to fill the whirlpool tub the water that came out of the faucet was black as was the water in the toilet, sink and shower! We let the gentleman at the front desk know and he merely shrugged and said the pipes are old and it happens all the time! He never offered to move us to a new room or compensate us in any way. The water in the shower was not as black after it ran for a few minutes but to our frustration it was ice cold and never got hot. To top it off the little shampoo bottle in the bathroom had clearly already been used. When it was time to go to bed the mattress was fairly old and uncomfortable resulting in very little sleep.
At check-out we mentioned the problems with the water to the girl at the desk and she had the same cavalier attitude as the man from the day before. Not only did she not attempt to compensate us in any way but also refused to grant us the AAA discount we were told we would receive! Unfortunately since our trip was booked last minute I had not read the reviews prior to booking. Many of the responses by the customer service managers to reviews on tripadvisor say: “I sincerely apologize that you had a less than desirable stay at our resort. I only wish you had reached out to our Front Desk or Guest Services Director during your stay, as we could have addressed all of your concerns at that time to ensure you had a most enjoyable stay.” Well I did reach out to the front desk staff and they did not in anyway ensure an enjoyable stay or even apologize. A response to a bad review is too little too late. They claim the issues listed are not their usual standard and will be addressed and yet negative review after review with the same issues are a reoccurring theme.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank AuroraSB
FernwoodResort, Owner at Fernwood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2015

This is a review for a property located across from Fernwood Resort that has been closed for over a year and is not affiliated.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

fernwood is still back in the 80's the t.v are the old and the furniture look's like its from my grandmother house i paid 645.00 for 3yr. for a 2br. villa that looks like trash and 5o.oo cleaning fee bull###

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Karl B
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We had the best time! 20 adults and 22 kids from 6-16 had an outstanding time! The staff was courteous, professional and took care of all the details. There wasn't a complaint to be had by anyone. We had a large party so Noelle encouraged us to begin at 10 sharp. THANK YOU NOELLE! We had the slopes to ourselves and the 2 hour bash ended with a private party at a banquet room at Fernwood (thank you Becky)! Fernwood management and staff are amazing and made my son's 12th birthday party a memorable experience!

Room Tip: If you experience any concerns, simply contact management. They do care about customer satisfaction.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Razzy27
Reviewed February 26, 2012

thats really all i have to say.... next time i will check for online reviews before i stay at a place... we found a cockroach in the bathroom. and now i just got home and should be relaxing, but i have to go through every bit of clothing and everything that was in the room, and bring outside, and shake out, just in case.... i got a full refund on both my rooms. they need to tear that place down to the ground, and build a new one .... gross!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Marta D
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I rented a 1 bedroom villa with my 15 year old son. The unit was spacious and all rooms (including the kitchen and bathrooms) appeared to be clean. The towels and sheets looked and smelled freshly washed. The kitchen was fully appointed. Most of the unfavorable reviews seem to be about the rooms in the actual hotel itself (in which I have never stayed). I would recommend booking a villa and maybe trying to get one of the higher number units (ours was 6145). Those units appeared to be at the end of the resort and also appeared to be less dated than most of the reviews I have read. We didn't encounter any unwanted 'friends' (i.e. bugs or rodents). My son slept in the bed which he stated was very comfortable. I used the pull out bed in the living room which was as comfortable as could be expected for that type of bed. The location of the villa was quiet and peaceful. Further, it had a wonderful view of the mountains. It certainly does not have five star accomodations, but for the price it was a nice mini trip. Lola at the front desk was awesome (professional, courteous and friendly). We had a bit of an issue with our card keys which Mr. Jenkins (one of the maintenance crew) quickly resolved for us. Mr. Jenkins was also professional, courteous and friendly.

Room Tip: I would recommend renting a villa with a higher number unit at the end of the complex. Our villa num...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I booked this trip to celebrate my husbands 40th birthday. Photos of the resort looked great couldn't wait. Staff was friendly, but the room was awful. Carpeting was torn in places. Furniture was banged up and broken. The jacuzzi heart shaped tub was gross. Tiles around the tub were broken and loose. Bed was very uncomfortable. Luckily we had other things in the area to do to make up for the room. All around I don't think they are putting any money back into their property. Which for as much as they charge for the room you would think they could repair some things,

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Annette T

This is a review for a property located across the street from Fernwood Resort that is not affiliated and has been closed for over a year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek

Been to Fernwood Resort? Share your experiences!