“Check your credit card statement!”
Review of Deerfield Spa

Deerfield Spa
San Jose
“Check your credit card statement!”
Reviewed March 5, 2010

We recently checked our "year end review" and found that Deerfield spa had not refunded our $400 deposit. When I called on a Tuesday (2/9)and spoke to Joan she told me to call back Friday! I couldn't wait an called the next day but I still got the "runaround" You would think after taking and interest free loan for several months it would be a higher priority. They made no attempt to contact me and showed no remorse whatsoever. In fact, they sounded like it was business as usual! The credit still wasn't there on 2/23 so I called and spoke to Linda. My account was finally credited the next day.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DopeyJoe
Lisa570, Owner at Deerfield Spa, responded to this review, March 12, 2010
Dear Friend,

I’m glad we were able to clear this up and get your account credited. Please understand we are a seasonal business. We don’t maintain a full staff from November through March, so when you first called, there was no one physically in the same place as our records that needed to be checked to process your credit – and there wouldn’t be until later that week.

You told us your stay was in July or August, so we scoured everything for those months to locate your records in order to make the adjustment. When we didn’t find you in our records, we reached out to our bank and our credit card supplier to help solve the mystery. Everyone joined in the search, but naturally it took these companies some time to respond to us too.

After hitting a dead end with the dates you had given us, we then went back through the entire year’s records to see if somehow your records were misplaced. That is when we found you had given us the wrong months. Your stay was in June, not July or August, as you thought. And as soon as we solved the mystery, we processed your credit. That was on 2/21/10.

Your waiting 8 months to bring this error to our attention, then giving us the wrong date of your stay, coupled with the fact that we are a seasonal business without a staff on location during the winter months, all contributed to the time it took us to resolve this. Please understand we wanted it done quickly too.

For nearly 30 years we have enjoyed a reputation of integrity and friendship. Not crediting your deposit at the time of your stay was an oversight. You forgot about it during your stay too – and for eight month afterward. We all make mistakes, and this was an honest mistake followed by an informational mystery that took about 10 days to solve.

Your comments on TripAdvisor do not reflect the honest nature of our initial oversight – or yours, the many factors contributing to it taking 10 days to resolve the matter for you, or Deerfield Spa’s earnest efforts to do so.

With Best Regards and in Good Health,
Joan Wolff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New Jersey
Reviewed September 2, 2009

An incredibly special group of people run the Deerfield Spa; from the housekeepers, the instructors/teachers, the massage therapists, cosmotologists, chefs, servers, nature specialists, office workers all the way up to the owner. They embrace you like long lost relatives allowing you to feel at home immediately. The spa itself is beautiful, the exercise classes plentiful and diverse as well as geared for all levels of fitness, the food is delicious, heathy and nutritious; the surrounding area offers alternative activities such as hiking, shopping, gambling, theater and movies. We met a great group of people while at the spa as well. Everyone was friendly and inviting. We cannot thank them enough!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank odetah1213
Lisa570, owner at Deerfield Spa, responded to this review, March 12, 2010
We're so glad you enjoyed being here! Look forward to seeing you again soon!
Orchard Park, New York
Reviewed August 9, 2009

As far as I can tell, this is the second most affordable spa in the country. The first, Tennessee Fitness Spa, is excellent...I've been there and loved it. However, since this trip was in July and I don't do well in the heat (and my favorite exercise is walking outdoors), I decided to try Deerfield. It was a good choice.

Everything is clean and well kept. The food is excellent. The exercise program is acceptable and there are some very nice hikes offered by friendly and knowledgeable guides. I lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks and came home much stronger and more flexible than I arrived (and I do exercise 3 hours a week at home).

I have a longer review on my blog if you are interested: http://thescreamingtype.blogspot.com/
The review is under Aug. 2009 and labeled : spa to spa comparison

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
4 Thank Sue K
Lisa570, owner at Deerfield Spa, responded to this review, March 12, 2010
So glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again soon. I'd love to see your full review on your blog, because always interested in feedback. I couldn't find it when I opened your link -- I'm not the greatest at technology! If you have a moment, drop me a line. Thanks again.
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed July 16, 2009

When I decided to book a stay at Deerfield Spa, I was looking for a jump start. I had gone online and researched probably every spa in the US and Canada.

The major reason I chose Deerfield from all the others was:
1) It was by far the most affordable spa out there
2) It offered almost everything the other more "posh" spas offered, yet was more quaint. I believe the most guests Deerfield can hold is something like 30-40, where the other spas were holding hundreds.... this to me meant one on one attention for my entire stay. And that was very important to me.

I decided to book a 15 day stay at the spa. I'm a bit of an extremist. If I could have gone longer, I probably would have. My intention for this trip was to lose as much weight as possible and take advantage of every class they had to offer. I had never gone on a trip like this before, and I wanted it to count. I wanted to come home with my family seeing a visible difference in me. Is it realistic to work out 6 hours a day and lose 12-15 pounds in 2 weeks, of course not... but I was setting my goals as high as I could, so I could make the most out of the whole experience.

I had emailed Joan (the owner) a couple of times before my trip to ask specific questions about the classes that would be offered during my stay, what the food was like, etc.... And she was always wonderful in answering anything I had asked. One of the things I had asked was if I could check-in early so I could take advantage of some of the morning classes, again just to make each minute count... and she was unbelievably accomodating.

My boyfriend drove me to the spa. We arrived at 10am. Joan was at the desk and checked me in. The 3 of us spoke for about an hour at the desk. It was like I knew her for years. She was so warm and welcoming. She gave me a tour of the place... and invited my boyfriend to stay for lunch with me to help me "settle" in, so that I didn't feel I was all alone right off the bat.

The way the dining room is set up at Deerfield is that there are about say 15 tables of 4 and you basically sit wherever you want, and will end up sitting with other guests at your table. This worried me at first because I was afraid there wouldn't be anything to talk about with these complete strangers and you'd have all that uncomfortable silence during your meals, but all of those fears were alleviated within 5 minutes of sitting at the table.

The guests that go to Deerfield are some of the most amazingly warm people I have ever met. I noticed very quickly that most of them were not first-timers like I was. They had been coming for years; mothers and daughters, friends, sisters, work colleagues... which in my opinion was just a testament of how welcoming the place really is. To keep going back to the same place year after year says more to me than any review you can read online.

The other great thing about the seating arrangements is that you end up sitting with different people pretty much every day. And during the meal you all end up talking about your issues with food, and diet tips that have worked or not worked for you in the past. It's like going to a Weight Watchers meeting... because you're sitting at a table with people going through the same things you're going through and learning through their experiences how to get by those hurdles and obstacles we all face every day of our lives. No one without an eating problem could understand and really appreciate what we go through every single minute of our lives.

It's really an amazing experience. The support you get from each other is overwhelming. I still keep in contact with about 20 people that I met at the spa. We email each other at least every other week just to check in and see how we're all doing.

The waitstaff at the spa was equally as pleasant. Because the place is so intimate, there's only 1 or 2 waitresses for everyone. And by the first day, they know everyone by name. I was amazed at how they would remember certain preferences you liked with your meals...

The food was incredible. I'm told they don't cook with much fat and with any salt, but you'd never know it in tasting the food. I thought the meals would be like eating cardboard, but everything was delicious. There were lots of choices, even for vegetarians, which you don't see too often. I'm not a vegetarian myself but many of my friends are and I'm used to noticing things like that on menus.

There's a breakfast, lunch and dinner special each day... and then a regular menu of about 6 or 7 different other meal options to choose from. They call those the "staple" items. They're offered every day. Being lucky enough to have booked a 15 day stay, I basically was able to try everything on the menu and I can honestly say I really enjoyed it all. So much so, that I bought their cookbook and have made numerous dishes since I've been home. The menu also gave the calorie counts for each meal, so you could track the amount of calories you would have each day if you chose to. They recommended a diet of no less than 1200 calories per day, which is something very similar to what I do back home while dieting, so I was thrilled that I'd be able to continue to count my calories while at the spa.

EXERCISE CLASSES
Like I had said before, I went on this trip ready to take advantage of everything possible. I took ever class offered just to be able to try different things and see what worked best for me.

A typical day of classes is as follows:
There's always yoga, a hike, or a regular walk before breakfast.

After breakfast, which is at 8am, there's a morning stretch class at 9am, then classes at 9:30a, 10:35a, and 11:30.

There's a choice of 2 different classes in each time slot. One class is in the large gym, these are classes like low impact aerobics, cardio boxing, step, pilates, any class you need a lot of room for...

And the other class is in the smaller gym which has all the cybex and free weights equipment. These are classes like Yoga, Ab Zone, Body Bar Basics, Body Conditioning and Cybex Circuit.

Lunch is at 12:30

Then after lunch you have an afternoon stretch at 1:30p, and classes at 2:00, 3:00, and 4:00.

Dinner is at 5:45pm....

You can take as many or as few classes as you choose. There's also a heated outdoor pool and water aerobics classes are offered each day. And the jacuzzi is located right next to the pool, which is a great treat to soothe sore muscles.

There are lectures offered I believe almost every day. Weight Training Lectures, Nutrition Lectures, Cooking Lectures. All of which offer a fantastic amount of knowledge for you to take home with you.

And there are beginner, intermediate, and advanced hikes scheduled every day as well.

You can even book personal one on one training sessions with any one of the trainers.

I loved the trainers there. Jeannine and Joe are the two trainers around most of the days. There are a few others that come for 1 or 2 days a week, but Jeannine and Joe are the two I worked most with. And because the place is so intimate and not every guest is as insane as I was taking every single class offered, there were numerous days that I was either the only person in the class and got a one-on-one for the entire hour, or was one of maybe five people in the class. I remember the first class I took when I arrived was a spin class and there were three of us in there. And the next day I had a one-on-one boxing class which was absolutely fantastic.

The instructors never made you feel like you had to be great in the class. They kept stressing to do what feels right for you. They never made you feel like you weren't good enough, or shouldn't be in certain classes. For some of us who could take the class to the next level, they would give you advanced options for certain moves, and for those who were trying something for the first time, they would give more beginner, easier options so no one was ever in danger of injuring themselves.

THE ROOMS
The rooms were very cute. They were comfortable and cozy and include a TV, an alarm clock, a hair dryer, shampoo, conditioner and shower gel, so it made packing very easy and convenient. The rooms are decorated in white wicker furniture, and have a very warm and welcoming feeling when you enter. And the rooms were very clean, which is a very big thing for me.

I stayed in a room alone. But a lot of the people traveling as singles choose to share a room with another person to cut the costs down. It's completely your choice.

I think the thing I liked most about this place is how easy-going and casual it was. You never had to dress up. I never put make-up on once my entire stay until the last day when my boyfriend was coming to pick me up... and that's only because I wanted to look good for him after not seeing him for 15 days. :)

THE SPA
Most packages you purchase come with a complimentary spa treatment. Usually a Swedish Massage or $150 credit toward any spa service you choose. Every treatment I received was top-notch. The treatment rooms were newly renovated. The products used were fantastic. I even purchased the facial products and still use them today.

All in all, I had an extremely positive experience while at Deerfield and would recommend it to anyone. I've already planned a return trip for late July. I'm going for a week with my mom and my aunt. And I've recommended the place to all my friends.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank divasmurf4090
portland OR
Reviewed July 9, 2009

I just returned from a wonderful two weeks stay at Deerfield Spa. I chose it based on many of the reviews here. It is a friendly place with a home like atmosphere and incorporated many activities, a fun pool and aerobic classes, and the most caring staff you will find anywhere. Joe and Nathalie made my excercise routines educational while having a darn good time doing them. The food is superb while low in calories, and they went out of their way to help accomodate my low carb eating. Amazing teas available 24 hrs a day, as well as excellent fruit snacks for after hours. The rooms are cozy, the dining room is comfy and is set up for mixing and mingling so you are never alone. Lots of return guests - I was astounded. Some of them have been coming back for more than 20 years, and I can see why. I found Joan, the owner, Carol, Linda and Marcy in the office and all the rest of the staff so helpful and kind. Everyone tries to make your visit the best it can be.
Thank you all for making my stay so pleasurable. I can't wait to get back for another round. And yes, I did lose almost 7lbs in two weeks, and got inspired to continue my efforts so I lost 5lb. more and hope to keep my walks and swims and such as long as the weather permits.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
new jersey
Reviewed May 19, 2009

You would think the way they describe themselves that they would be this great destination spa. well in my opinion its a big joke. They put you in these small tiny old smelling rooms, the services arent that great. I had some big girl do my massage, and it was awful. I would advise going to a nice day spa, or find a REAL retreat center. This is not a retreat center its a fat farm

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank bouger24
PA
Reviewed May 18, 2009

If you want a luxury spa with fru-fru amenities and clientele, this ain't the place. If you want a FABULOUS hot stone massage, some laughs with some really nice women, and a little time to unwind, relax, exercise and eat healthy, this is a good place for you. The owner is very hands on and lovely, the entire staff is so nice. The food, while restricted in calories, was surprisingly good, and the exercise classes were varied. If you want a place to stay for a longer time to try to kickstart weigh loss, this is a great place to do it. If you want a weekend away from the stress, this is a great place.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#1 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor

Been to Deerfield Spa? Share your experiences!