All reviews weight loss eat healthy canyon ranch boot camp morning stretch other guests no tipping wide variety of activities preparing meals repeat customers bad reviews trainers classes annex gyms facial pilates
Reviewed October 3, 2017

I just returned from 9 days at Deerfield. I was a little concerned about a few of the reviews, but I believe it's all about your attitude. If you're looking for a fancy, luxurious spa, this may not be the place. If, on the other hand, you're looking for a casual, comfortable place with attention to details, this place is amazing.

Every day, there are activities from early morning into the evening. The meals are simple and delicious. I chose Deerfield, because I felt that I could take their menu back home with me. There are foods that I can easily cook, so I can continue to lose weight.

The classes are extremely varied, and I chose to take nearly every one of them, so that I could learn what I like before committing to classes at home.

The massages were amazing. Sarah was great at customizing to suit exactly what I needed.

The guests were all so friendly. The atmosphere leads to a lot of socializing, and I feel that I gained a couple of long-term friends. When I arrived, I wasn't sure about the community dining, but you're all there for a similar reason, so we were chatting for hours soon after my first meal!

In one week, I lost 8 pounds, gained muscle and flexibility and learned a whole new way of eating healthy. I came home energized and ready to tackle the last of my relatively recent weight gain. Overall, this was the perfect reset for me.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled solo
2  Thank BWhite12603
DeerfieldSpa52558, Owner at Deerfield Health Retreat and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2017

Hi BWhite 12603,

Thank you for your kind words. We try our very best to make all guests feel like you are just visiting my home and have fun while eating healthy and exercising. I take pride in creating a comfortable place as well as having all the guests feel at home at ease, and take away some information to help with a new healthy life style. Hope to see you next season.

Reviewed August 18, 2017 via mobile

I was a little concerned about coming here because there were a few bad reviews, but they were obviously old ones, and things have been improved. I found this place to be just what I was looking for, a casual, healthy, getaway where I could work out, take classes, swim, relax and eat healthy. There are a wide variety of activities from yoga to hiking to weight lifting to pool exercises to Pilates. . . Unless you're here at least a week it's impossible to get everything in. I also found the food excellent, and the staff very accommodating. The other guests were also friendly and welcoming. This is not a luxury hotel, the rooms in the annex where I stayed are roomy and comfortable, but not fancy. If I were running the place I might make a couple of cosmetic changes, but on the whole, I can see why many of the guests I spoke to have been coming here every year for decades. I am pretty sure I will be coming back again next year.

Stayed: August 2017, traveled solo
1  Thank Kathleen R
Reviewed June 10, 2017 via mobile

I enjoyed my weeklong getaway, mind and body reboot. If you are looking for fancy or competitive this is not the place. If you are looking for a variety of fitness options, beautiful hikes, affordable spa treatments and healthy food, the place is great. I was able to relax and unwind, I took advantage of the daily hikes, from beginner to advanced, though if you are in reasonable shape none of the hikes are out of reach. I took a barre class, yoga, yoga with weights, wight training on machines and free, Pilates and more. People were at varying levels of fitness, but if you can do more you do it and if you can't keep up you laugh. Very positive experience. There were several regulars and repeat customers but they make you feel welcome. It's intimate - they can take thirty guests. It ranged from 5-10 while I was there. There were two gyms, a pool, a racquet sports court (and morning stretch site), a dining room and a couple of lounge rooms. Evenings are very quiet. There are board games, tv and puzzles. There are a couple of movie theaters nearby. They also have a variety of talks. I really needed the getaway and I came home refreshed and refocused with new enthusiasm to continue eating right and getting fit.

Stayed: June 2017, traveled solo
2  Thank out_of_VA
Reviewed February 20, 2017 via mobile

Poconos is better known for relaxing getaway from it all nirvana.
Spa and massage is the good part.
But if you want it done right then Deerfield Spa is your destination.
Tried several places to compare but Deerfield still is the place I go back to. Friendly staff who rubs you the right way

Stayed: August 2016, traveled with family
1  Thank LouRiv
Reviewed January 4, 2017

I stayed for three nights this past July and had a fantastic time. This is the first time I took a vacation on my own, but between work and other obligations I felt I needed some alone time to focus on myself. Little did I know I would not spend much time alone at Deerfield - and I loved it!

I was a little apprehensive to go there alone, but everything turned out wonderfully. I arrived at 11am, was checked into my room and in my bathing suit for a pool class by 11:10! During my first fitness class then over lunch I met Amy and her crew - a group of lovely ladies who I believe go to Deerfield for a week every summer. They showed me so much kindness and friendship and really helped make me feel much more comfortable. It was an unexpected comfort knowing I always had friendly faces to eat a meal with or stand next to in a new fitness class.

My purpose of going to Deerfield was to get myself out of my comfort zone, so I took advantage and participated in a class almost every time slot available. I went to at least one pool class each day, took my first pilates reformer class, boot camp and lots of other classes as well (it was 6+ months ago so unfortunately, I don't remember them all by name). I do remember what a treat the hike I went on was. It was the beginner's level hike and it was a highlight of my time there. I forget the name of the gentleman who took us on a hike - but he was very knowledgeable about the area and told great stories of when he was a musician back when the Poconos was a more popular vacation destination and he performed in different resorts.

I also attended all of the afternoon lectures (small group talks on various health and fitness related topics) and a more formal lecture by a nutritionist. Finally, I had a deep tissue massage that was included with my 3 night stay and added on the acne facial which was fantastic. I cannot say enough about my facial technician - I wish I remembered her name!

I am rather Type A, and do not have a lot of vacation time or funds, so I did a lot of research before I went to Deerfield Spa and I believe it is indeed one of the most affordable wellness spas in the mid Atlantic region. I also communicated with Joan, the owner a couple times before booking, and then several times after booking and she was extremely friendly and communicative - despite it being her busy season. She worked with me and my schedule and when I finally met her upon my arrival she gave me a big hug. I read almost all of the reviews before deciding to go to Deerfield and many of the reviews are correct, in that the furnishings are pretty basic, nothing luxurious. However, my private room and bathroom in the main house were a nice size and very clean. Also, aside from sleeping I think I only spent a cumulative of 2 hours in my room anyhow.

I highly recommend Deerfield Spa to anybody looking to get away and relax - or get away and challenge yourself. That is one of the best parts about Deerfield - there is always plenty to do if you want to do it - and plenty of opportunities to relax if that is what you want to do. I am really looking forward to returning to Deerfield again sometime in 2017. Thank you Joan and staff for the fantastic memories and Happy New Year!

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled solo
2  Thank xmaslew
DeerfieldSpa52558, Owner at Deerfield Health Retreat and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2017

Hi xmaslew,

Thank you so much for your kind words. It is very important to me and my staff that guests feel right at home. I hear from a majority of our guests how the friendships that each guest makes at Deerfield is what makes it so homey. They even pick the same weeks to come back together. I knew you were apprehensive about coming alone but as I am sure I told you when we spoke Deerfield has won many Spa Finder awards for going solo Again thank you for the review and we hope to see you in our 2017 season.