“Fat Farm”

Deerfield Spa
New York
“Fat Farm”
Reviewed September 13, 2008

My friend and I went to the Deerfield Spa for a relaxing "girlfriend getaway." We were especially excited for this trip as Deerfield had great reviews and seemed to be reasonably priced. Instead of an affordable spa getaway, we got ripped off by an old lady fat farm. The front desk staff was rude and the spa treatment areas noisy and dingy. The prices were outrageous. Spa treatments were overpriced and we paid too much for a small room with soiled linens and rock hard beds and 900 calories per day. Definitely not worth the hassle.

• Liked — Location near hiking and shopping
  • Disliked — The staff, the food
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank maj218

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
United States
Reviewed August 26, 2008

I was searching online for health and weight loss spas as well as places that offered fun activities, yoga, and meditation. Having a tendency to be a high-strung person, I really felt like I needed to get away and take some time to try to take care of myself physically and mentally. I really needed to de-stress.
I had never been away on vacation alone and was really worried about how things might go being alone. Well, all those worries washed away when I arrived at Deerfield. At one point, I actually thought to myself, maybe I had died and was in heaven. I was so completely relaxed, happy, and peaceful. This was one of the very best things I've ever done for myself. I loved every minute of it and didn't want to leave. I actually cried the day that I had to go home b/c I had never felt such peace as I did there. And I laughed more in a week there then I had in a long time. Everything at Deerfield was wonderful. The buildings are nice and quaint and very homey. The excercise classes are amazing. I loved the pool aerobics and hiking was amazing. The instructors are friendly, knowledgable, and fun. I learned how to eat healthy and have it taste good at the same time. Best of all, the people were wonderful. I felt like I had known the people there for ages. We had such a good time together and laughed so much. It's very motivating to be around positive people who are there to have fun, get healthier, and relax all at the same time. I almost forgot, the massages were excellent as well. I had the Lomi-Lomi and a Swedish massage. I was just telling someone how much I loved Deerfield last night and I thought that I should share this information. This is a place where you can be alone if you want to or you can never be alone if you don't want to. You can relax and get pampered all week, you can workout non-stop, or a combination of both. It is whatever you make of it. For the first time in ages, I actually WANTED to workout and take the classes and go hiking, etc... It was fun. I am still working on implementing these changes into my daily life. I left with a renewed awareness of what types of food I put into my body and I also left with a feeling of accomplishment. I took a chance by going on a vacation/adventure solo and it worked out perfectly to say the least. I wish I could go back to Deerfield as I'm writing this. Hopefully I will be able to meet up with the same group of women I met during my stay next summer. Until then, take care!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Lack of toiletries
  • Stayed July 2008
1 Thank DelawareSky
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 21, 2008

I had put down a $100 deposit for an 18 day tour of Spain when I decided that I was feeling really low. I needed to feel healthy again by eating right and exercising. So, instead of Spain, I searched the Internet and chose to go to Deerfield Spa-in the Pocono Mountains about 2 hours away from where I grew up in Pennsylvania. It is a decision that I will NEVER regret as my 3 week stay at Deerfield has motivated me to make positive changes in my life. I can't say enough good things about my spa experience. My friends teased me before I left, telling me I'd be home in a week, but instead I stayed the 3 weeks and cried when it came time for me to leave. Everyone from the trainers to the wait staff, the hiking guides and the people at the front desk were accommodating, friendly, knowledgeable, motivating and made me laugh daily! Throughout the day and evening laughter could be heard throughout the house and in the gyms! There were plenty of activities to chose from beginning at 6:30 am and ending around 4pm. All the activities are voluntary and there is never pressure to do anything you don't want to do, but I chose to pack my days with morning power walks, the AM stretch, pilates, various aerobic and weight training classes, circuit training, boxing circuit, pool classes, boot camp and hiking to name a few. I even tried yoga and Qi Gong! There were weekly trips to the Outlets for shopping and the Mount Airy Casino and a movie theater are just a short drive away. The evenings were busy too. I liked to get massages in the evening...the Lomi Lomi was INCEREDIBLE and I truly enjoyed the Swedish Massages too. Deerfield offered Irish Dancing, Belly Dancing, Taro Card lectures and readings, Bingo and cooking classes in the evenings. There were daily lectures given by the trainers that were informative and motivating. The food at Deerfield is AMAZING! I couldn't believe that after ordering my meals each evening that I was eating less than 1,400 calories because it sure tasted like more! My favorite lunch was the turkey burger with non-fat pesto mayonnaise. The fruit was always fresh and delicious. Dinner time was always fun because every night the dessert was a surprise. Some of my favorites (and there are MANY) were the mini-cheese cakes, cherry delight and tiramisu to name just a few. The people I met at Deerfield during my stay made my time there even better than I could have imagined. Many guests had been going to Deerfield for 10 or more years and I realize now why they keep coming back! The camaraderie between guests is unmatched. I have traveled alone many times in my life, but at Deerfield I never felt alone. Each week I was pleasantly surprised by the people I met, many of whom I will keep in touch with via e-mail and I hope to meet again when I return to Deerfield next summer. I ended up losing 15lbs during my 3 week stay and I wish I had taken my measurements because I know I lost lots of inches too. I left Deerfield feeling empowered, happy and ready to face the challenges of everyday life. I have continued to eat right, exercise daily and feel so much better about myself and the future. I can't wait to return to Deerfield and when I do the staff will see an improved me and I will be forever thankful to all of them for helping me change my life for the better. I never got back the $100 deposit that I put down for my trip to Spain....but It was definitely worth losing that money as I gained (not weight) so much more from my stay at Deerfield!

• Liked — The people
  • Disliked — loved it all
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank minnow8157
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 14, 2008

This was my second stay here, and once again had a very nice experience. The food was excellent, the staff and other guests friendly. Affordable, down to earth, homey, and in the very pretty Pocono mountains of Pennsylvania, near the Delaware Water Gap.

• Stayed September 2007
1 Thank kkismoi
Pittsford, New York
Reviewed October 22, 2007

At the loving insistence of her uber-worried husband, my girlfriend (who has just had her third child, moved for her husband’s new job and has been under undue stress lately) and I just met at the Deerfield Spa for a weekend of relaxation. Per his instructions, this
was not to be a typical girls’ weekend but rather, my words not his, a brief moment of stillness and peace for his wife. Sign me up!

First off, I had to look online when I arrived home to find the definition of the word “spa.” According to hometravelagency.com, a spa is a resort specifically designed to appeal to the health- or diet-conscious (which offers) such amenities as steam baths, saunas, massage, and so forth. With that said, Deerfield is, in fact, a spa.

However, for anyone seeking luxury and premium amenities, this is not
the property for you. This is more like the best sleep-away camp for adults ever.

When I arrived, I immediately called my girlfriend’s husband and said, “You’re going to kill me.” Upon speaking with others, many of whom had driven from afar (e.g., MD, FL, SC), I wasn’t the only person who experienced alarm. The good news is that once the initial shock wears off, the place takes on a personality and charm of its own.

At first glance, Deerfield Spa appears to be a rundown country inn complete with dirty, industrial-grade carpeting; stained bathtubs; and faded comforters that someone’s grandmother bought in 1980.

Yet the majority of the people at Deerfield were repeat customers – as in people who have been coming for 10+ years in a row. From single
Manhattanite women who journeyed alone to older couples, people keep coming back.

The owner and the entire staff are beyond friendly as are the visitors. By the end of the weekend, we knew the names of most of the
guests and chatted with them over meals. Most of these people were staying for a full 10 days!

We took myriad classes including Qi Gong, yoga, intermediate hiking, pool aerobics, Pilates reformer, kickboxing, exercise ball and weight
training. Although they cater to beginners, many were as strenuous as
any individual wants to make them. The instructors are fun and helpful. The hiking instructor even listened to everyone’s pleading for a more advanced hike and rearranged his schedule the following date to accommodate them.

The food is low cal and, for the most part, delicious. The Chicken French was fabulous which made it very difficult to believe it had so few calories. Portions are metered out and seconds of the to-die-for desserts—such as the frozen vanilla yogurt with caramel—were not accommodated. In two short days, I lost three pounds.

Lastly, the spa treatments were heavenly. The hot stone massage was a little too light and my untouched head felt neglected but the Swedish massage was the best massage I have ever received. We also had seaweed wraps which were relaxing and, because we had them so late at night, made it difficult to keep our eyes open afterward.

The only recommendations I would provide would be to offer classes that would enhance the experience even more (e.g., guided meditation)
and to have cooking classes. I want to enjoy the same food at home!

All in all, we left thinking that our stay was too short and agreeing
that we both wanted to come back – a long way from the initial distress we felt upon arrival! I now know why it is rated as one of the top 10 “best values” on SpaFinder. It is not pure luxury but it is a much needed indulgence.

• Liked — The spa services, whirlpool, sauna, food and exercise programs
  • Disliked — The state of the property
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
6 Thank PranayamaMama
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 15, 2007

My husband and I absolutely loved this spa! Its relaxed, friendly, with a wonderful exercise program, and great food. Accommodations are not fancy, but the rooms are cheerful, and clean. If you are looking for a luxurious spa, this is not the one for you, but if you are looking for a place to help you form new eating habits (you can do that in 10 days), and keep you busy from dawn to dusk, Deerfield is great. You'll also meet nice people. In 8 days last year I lost 4 pounds, my husband lost 6. Since then I have lost 12 pounds, my husband has lost 20...and we are headed back to Deerfield at the end of this week (this is our second year doing the end of October 10-day stay) and I hope to break through to the next 3 or 4 pounds on my way to 128 pounds. Deerfield is like a low budget movie star life: all you need to do is participate, let the cooks fix your food, and relax!

• Liked — the food and exercise program.
  • Disliked — I like everything.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas
Reviewed May 21, 2007

If you are looking for a perfect Girl's Weekend Away-try the Deerfield Spa. We had a great time! Plus I lost 3 pounds without even
trying!

Deerfield's location is great, only 1 1/2 hours drive from the Newark
Airport. It right by the Delaware Water Gap recreational area and the
Spa has guided hikes through the park and on the Appalachian Trail.

Deerfield is not a resort spa. It is a bed and breakfast in the Pocono Mountains. It is a very laid back and relaxed atmosphere. Small and quaint. You can participate in as much of the activities or as little as you’d like. It is a GREAT VALUE for what you get! Makes a weekend not only worthwhile but affordable too!

Each day the activity list starts at 6:15AM and usually ends with a group event (like line dancing or bingo) in the evening. While at the
Spa we did Qi Gong to start our day, Morning Stretch, a guided Intermediate Hike for 2 hours along the Appalachian Trail, Butts & Gutts Training, Yoga, and Core Board. Plus we used the sauna and hot tub. ALL of these activities are included in your Daily Rate.

The food at Deerfield Spa is excellent and also included in the Daily
Rate. Each night you fill out from the menu and specials page what you’d like to eat the next day. They were VERY flexible about accommodating special requests. Food is lower in calories and fat, but delicious all the same. There is coffee in the morning but no sodas. We just went to the local grocery (5 min drive) and bought some for our stay (plus M&Ms…)

Spa treatments are an extra cost. I had a Swedish Massage and a Hot Stone Massage. Both were great. But, the rooms tend to be loud as people come and go from treatments. Two of the rooms are located down
in the basement of the house and feel a bit cramped.

I would say 2/3rds of the guests came by themselves for 2-4 weeks to
“jump start” a new stage in their lives-focus on eating right and working out. At meal time you rotate with whom you eat so it’s nice to get to know some new people. I would feel very comfortable about coming to Deerfield by myself.

The house was built in the 1930's but has been renovated. I would say
the renovations made the property lose some of its charm as I prefer renovations in keeping with the period look but that's just me. Only
complaints were that the baseboard heaters pumped out sooo much heat.
No controls in the room so we just kept all the windows open for ventilation. And, the shower was hard to get to the right temperature
and then very wimpy (I like strong showers).

There are Outlets about a 15 minute drive away and a Movie Theater nearby as well. We did both for a change of pace.

• Liked — Great Value for what you get
  • Disliked — Room too hot
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank letstravelwithtwins
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#1 of 8 in East Stroudsburg

Been to Deerfield Spa? Share your experiences!