“Best value, Friendly, Healthy and Interesting.”
Review of Deerfield Spa

Deerfield Spa
Glen Allen
“Best value, Friendly, Healthy and Interesting.”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

There are so many ways I could praise this place, but first on the list is that it's unpretentious, healthy, and well prioritized. Food and Exercise are at the top of those priorities. I call it my reset location: This year was my second visit and I brought my husband. The food is delicious, extremely low-fat and low-sodium (you have to beg for salt, but it's there) and the portion sizes are Weight Watcher sized. Perhaps the portions are a shock for the complainer, however one can order twice as much if they wish. I can honestly say, I was almost never hungry! We took many classes from Boot Camp to Meditation, and nearly every one of them was truly excellent. We hiked with Richie, and had him do a Functional Movement evaluation which was so helpful. The rooms are old, rustic and granted a little musty,AND the jacuzzi was one of the best I've ever tried. The massage could have been deeper tissue, but it still felt amazing. The relaxed atmosphere reflects the owner, Joan Wolff, who is delightful, funny, candid and as unpretentious as the lodge her mother bought in 1979. Most of all, the "regulars" who come out to East Stroudsburg three and four times a summer were hysterically funny. I enjoyed every minute of this trip and wouldn't change a thing.
PS We are gluten-free and they had plenty to accommodate me - even coated the chicken in gf bread crumbs for us! I don't know what the post above was talking about!!

Room Tip: Get a room in the main house so if it's raining at night you don't have to think about it...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JVDapena

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Spa was on my wish list for years and exceeded my expectations. If you are looking for ostentatious facilities go elsewhere. This is what you can expect at Deerfield--
1. An on premise owner who treats you like a family guest. A large white 'grandma's house" atmosphere with airy common rooms $ relaxing rockers. Special requests are accommodated happily and your joy is her joy.
2. Not only will Joan provide well balanced low cal meals but she goes one step further by offering cooking classes by a nutritionist.
3. All inclusive exercise & cooking classes, daily lecture, 3 meals , 2 snacks , hiking guide, unlimited tea/coffee & tips. Even drove us to Dingmans Falls. I never pulled my wallet out till checkout.
4. Spa services available @ an additional cost & well worth it.
5. Jason taught line dancing--fun; Mike's boxing techniques best workout ever; Richie & his wife's yoga class a must do; and our cutie pie waiter remembered everyone's order. Pleasing a group of women not an easy task.
6. Super clean rooms with adequate bathrooms.
A previous comment mentions she is ready to close. Why? We left today and they were FULL. Filled with happy, cheerful women (& one token guy--brave soul) . Most are repeat customers, bringing friends or family to share the joy!

Go. Leave your snobby shoes at home and dance the Macarena..or slug at the pool. Tell her Janice sent ya!

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Chocoholicjr
Levittown, New York
Reviewed July 29, 2013

1st ill give a general summary and then get more specific. Beds are ok not great, they like guests to eat meals w other guests although out of our 5 meals we only sat w other people 2x. The other times we sat at a table for 3 and no one else joined us. The place seems to be cater or advertise for single older women. There were about 16 people there myself and one other gentlemen my wife and then 13 single women ranging in ages. Lots of over 70 women. Most stay there a week or longer due to the age of the women they dont go full balls to the wall in the exercise dept but its still very good and the instructors were excellent. Rooms r small as expected but clean w wifi and good cable. Grounds are nice. Staff is very friendly. Ac worked well not new but good enough to keep room decently cold. This was a plesant week of weather and i wonder if i would be saying the same if the temps were 90 +.

My wife and i stayed for 2 nights. We made it from long island to the resort in 2 hours and 15 mins If we didnt have young kids another day or so would have been even better. We arrived wed at noon. Checked in and filled out our lunch and dinner order. We then unpacked and went to lunch. We split a veggie wrap and a chef salad and each had the soup. Very tasty. We then had back to back classes aerobics and pilates. Both good classes. I found the aerobics somewhat challenging. The pilates reformer folllowed and i enjoyed it. I am a 1st timer and got a good stretch and ok strength workout. Dinner was chicken ( not that much taste, should have gotten the special which was manicotti) put hot sauce on it and it was great veggies salad. Half a baked potato tiny angel food cake w whip cream n stawberrys for desert was tasty. All in about 700 cals. In the evening we had our couples massage which was great. They have only women masseurs which i find to be a positive..took a nightime walk n then relaxed in room.

Day 2- u fill out what u want for the next day at dinner which i liked. I had eggwhite omlette and wife had cherrios n banana. Both fine we took 3 classes which were really fun and slightly challenging body toning then body sculpting finished by a class they call 20/20/10 which was kick boxing stretching and body toning. My wife and i were the only ones there and cindy worked us hard. Cindy and jason were both great and special props to cindy who is as professional and certified as a trainer can get. We both Felt great after. We broke for lunch and split a turkey swich and the special which was broccoli quiche. We both had mushroom barley. Soup lunch was excellent prob all in around 350 cals. We then went to the pool and swam, laid out and used the hot tub. All uninterrupted. I started off by myself as wife went to boutique ( which is same room you check in, small and not w any souvenirs to bring home for kids) i was swimming and the maintenance guy was cleaning pool while i was swimming which was annoying. Nevertheless i had a good uninterrupted swim and enjoyed my time w wife laying out and taking advantage of hot tub. I then took my 1st yoga class ever and there was an older woman with a myriad of health issues so she the instructor took it easy. Although she did try to make it slightly more challenging for my wife and i. I enjoyed it and after 3 harder classes the yoga was welcome. We then ate dinner i had the special which was turkey loaf and quite delicious. At 8 i went for my second massage in as many nights while my wife enjoyed a cooking demonstration. After we took a walk around the grounds.
We enjoyed our stay. We took advantage of a living social deal. It was 750 for 2 nights. That included a massage each, all meals,classes,room. They even had some tasty lo cal snacks at 11 and 4 pm. I got an extra massage and fir some reason getting a couples massage cost an extra 10. The massage w tip n tac was a hundred so an extra 110 on top of the 750. So not including gas snack while driving and what my wife bought at the boutique it was 860 which is a really good price for everything we had and participated in. Place is a little dated but no real complaints. Charming and affordable. I just wish we had stayed another day. We will most likely come back again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JudgeFeder
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Deerfield Spa offers a cozy and welcoming break in a lovely location. I have been there several times, and each visit reinforces my good opinion of the hard-working and friendly owner, Joan, and her wonderful staff. To me, the Victorian house that is the heart of the resort is charming. The relatively small size (I believe the maximum guest number is 33) has allowed me as a solo visitor to meet others staying there, and to enjoy their company.

As usual, during my most recent stay, the kitchen staff produced tasty and healthy meals served with courtesy and attention to detail. Special requests from guests were accommodated cheerfully - for example, I personally observed the kitchen providing various juices to one guest, gluten-free bread to another, and vegan meals to a third. The fitness instructors were upbeat and focused on providing safe and effective workouts whether outdoors, in the gyms, or in the swimming pool. They were attentive to any concerns or comments that I raised. I added a number of facial and massage services to my package because I found those services to be quite good. The ladies who help Joan run the office were always pleasant and always efficient, and the rooms and grounds were kept immaculately.

If you're planning a visit to Deerfield, I recommend that you look at its website to see what the house and other buildings look like, as well as the fitness and hiking classes, to help you determine whether they are what you are looking for. You might want to check the calendar for special events. During the second part of my two-week stay, I enjoyed Dance Week with instructors from a nearby dance studio teaching us rumba, cha-cha, swing, and other routines.

I look forward to my next stay at Deerfield Spa.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Emily J
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Deerfield spa is a basic no frills weight loss resort. We like it for that reason however, after spending the last 4 days at the spa, my sister and I were convinced that the owner plans to close soon. Everything is run down and dated. The air conditioners in the rooms need to be replaced (I had allergic reactions every night). Toilets didn't flush fully. The bed was so hard my neck hurt every morning. The exercise instructors were not up on the latest sports information and not attentive to participants needs. Nutrition lectures were given by untrained staff. There are 2 treadmills and 1 recumbent bike in the entire place and all could use servicing. As for the food, its not bad but its not good. Vegetables were overcooked. There wasn't any creative use of spices. One woman was there for a juice fast and she had to show them how to do it. There are no options for juicing, gluten free or other special diets unless you bring your own. The facials and massages are adequate at best but no way satisfactory. This seemed to be the general consensus in the dining room. One of the massage therapists admitted to my sister that she was fresh out of school and didn't know what she was doing. That's fine. We all need experience. But let your client know so they can make an informed choice. Service at meals was good as was housekeeping. The 4 days for both of us cost $2900. Not nearly as much as the famous spas, but the experience was certainly not worth the money. In the end, we realized we could probably find a nice hotel near a day-spa and do as well price-wise for 4 days or book a fitness cruise. Regardless, we won't be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Ellen Z
DeerfieldSpa52558, Owner at Deerfield Spa, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
The guest related a complaint to us during her stay. We did not think it had merit but responded respectfully and accommodated her in the way she requested. We also provided her, at her request with an extended stay at a discounted price. We were not able to provide the additional discounts she requested at check-out. I am puzzled as to why she didn't leave after 2 days and stayed the extended 2 days if she was so unhappy with us. We strive to provide a wonderful experience for all our guests. We are proud of our high rate of repeat guests and we look forward to serving them for many years to come.
Princeton Junction, New Jersey
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Thank you Dearfield Spa. My wife and I recently spent 5 nights at your spa. Going in, my expectations were that you are a bed and breakfast with exercise classes and spa services. You met my expectations. The classes and instructors were all great. We took a nice hike with Rich. Terri was great for yoga and Cindy was really awesome for aerobics and Pilates. Dave was fun with his pool workout. On different nights, my wife went to a nutritional seminar and we both tried wedding line dancing. As far as the meals, the food was very fresh and tasty. There were many options to choose from (and you can request extras) and 2x portions were available for me (a guy) as well as the calorie counts available for both of us. We didn't really come here to lose weight, but the portions are measured and were great (and we both lost a little.) As with any transitory environment, the other guests we met during the week were friendly. All ages were present and represented. We met and spoke with a lot of people, most guests were women. The gyms were nice. The equipment wasn't the most modern, but was maintained well. The new hot tub was nice. We stayed in the annex. We were told by other guests staying in the main house that by their descriptions, our rooms were bigger. Room decor was definitely bed and breakfast motif. Clean towels and linens. The rooms and bathrooms do need some updating. The spa services were average. We both had massages and my wife had a facial and we both felt better and relaxed after. My wife did comment on the high quality of product used with her facial. We were overall happy with our stay. This isn't a high end luxury spa but for everything you get, the price is right. We left feeling relaxed and healthy and were glad we came. We both would recommend.

Room Tip: Stayed in annex. Was told by other guests that switched from the main house to the annex that the an...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Craig1551
nj
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Wow, was I at the same place as Big B (which might stand for .... ) I loved it here and only booked 2 days as it was my first time. I eat well, wonderfully cooked, portioned food 3 times a day plus an afternoon snack & an am booster. Cooking demonstration by the very knowledgeable nutritionist Thursday night. Busy all day with the large variety of classes, especially loved the qui gong, yoga, pool class, am stretch, hikes and had a hard time choosing. Pool and hot tub are always open. Great value, had everything I needed. Excellent dedicated and friendly staff.

Room Tip: Liked being in the main building.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank queeks
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap

Been to Deerfield Spa? Share your experiences!